The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

support for caregivers…..

Forums Caregiver Community support for caregivers…..

Participant

Hello my friends.  i am reaching out for my Mom.  She is desperatley in need of some kind of support to get her through this time with my Dad.  Unfortuantely, the boards I believe are just to much information for her.  Mom has tried to get in contact with a few groups, but unfortunaltey has never received a reply back.  I have also reached out to MRF to see of any suggestions from them.  Let me know if you have any suggestions.  THANK YOU!!!!

Jen

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Are these any use http://melanomainternational.org/web-resources/online-resources/#Caregiver

Is your Mum happy with forums or is it telephone support more likely to hit the spot ?

If you were in the UK would suggest Macmillan..or Maggys Centres….

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Are these any use http://melanomainternational.org/web-resources/online-resources/#Caregiver

Is your Mum happy with forums or is it telephone support more likely to hit the spot ?

Deb

jpg
              Participant

Yes, and MIF also has a helpline for patients and caregivers:  866-463-6663 plus the forum just for caregivers: http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/for-caregivers-only

snow white
                Participant

Awesome!  I didnt know about the caregivers only forum.  I will check it out and ask her what she thinks!

Thanks again!

Jen

snow white
                  Participant

Awesome!  I didnt know about the caregivers only forum.  I will check it out and ask her what she thinks!

Thanks again!

Jen

snow white
                    Participant

Thanks again!

Jen

jpg
                      Participant

Yes, and MIF also has a helpline for patients and caregivers:  866-463-6663 plus the forum just for caregivers: http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/for-caregivers-only

jpg
                        Participant

snow white
                          Participant

Thanks Deb, I will look into your link!  I think telephone support might be the best option.

๐Ÿ™‚

Jen

snow white
                            Participant

Thanks Deb, I will look into your link!  I think telephone support might be the best option.

๐Ÿ™‚

Jen

snow white
                              Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Jen

debwray
                              Participant

Deb

Charlie S
                                Participant

You are a good daughter to try and understand both the unique needs of your Mother and Father.

Although MPIP and many online resources are available to help in certain degress; please do not forget local , in person resources………………….there are many.

I do not know what state you are in nor the age of your parents, but you would be surprised the level of support that abounds with not only governmental resources but many non-profits and foundations.

Most states have a Council on Aging or something similiar.  

Also……………do not think they are just for the dying……………..call Hospice.

This is just a first blush.  If you tell me which state you are in, and the age of your parents,  I will be happy to work up a resource list for you.

The internet is great, but there is a lot at your local fingertips.

My best to you and your family.

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie S
                                  Participant

You are a good daughter to try and understand both the unique needs of your Mother and Father.

Although MPIP and many online resources are available to help in certain degress; please do not forget local , in person resources………………….there are many.

I do not know what state you are in nor the age of your parents, but you would be surprised the level of support that abounds with not only governmental resources but many non-profits and foundations.

This is just a first blush.  If you tell me which state you are in, and the age of your parents,  I will be happy to work up a resource list for you.

Cheers,

Charlie

snow white
                                      Participant

Thank you so much Charlie!!!!  I appreciate your reply. My Dad is 72 and Mom 70, we live in California, more specifically the Redondo Beach area.  I have been at a loss as to who to contact.  When I was going through my battle with Uterine cancer, my oncologist office was able to point me to support groups.  Thank you so much for you help.  I will look forward to your reply.

Jen

snow white
                                        Participant

Thank you so much Charlie!!!!  I appreciate your reply. My Dad is 72 and Mom 70, we live in California, more specifically the Redondo Beach area.  I have been at a loss as to who to contact.  When I was going through my battle with Uterine cancer, my oncologist office was able to point me to support groups.  Thank you so much for you help.  I will look forward to your reply.

Jen

Cindyco
                                          Participant

Hi Jen,

We live in Orange County and similarly have not been able to find a nearby support system for my mom.  Although in my case, my mom is the patient.  We thought it would be good for her emotional/mental health to have some support system separate from our family.  Unfortunately, she is not very mobile right now and she is not tech-savvy enough to utilize the boards or forums.  To a lesser extent, she also has a small language barrier.  We are now looking for a therapist or counselor trained to speak with cancer patients.  That might be helpful as well?

snow white
                                            Participant

Thank you for a great suggestion.  Mom went online today and is going to try to find a therapist that specializes in cancer patients/care givers.  I will let you know if we come up with anything.

Jen

snow white
                                              Participant

Thank you for a great suggestion.  Mom went online today and is going to try to find a therapist that specializes in cancer patients/care givers.  I will let you know if we come up with anything.

Jen

snow white
                                                Participant

Jen

Cindyco
                                                  Participant

Hi Jen,

We live in Orange County and similarly have not been able to find a nearby support system for my mom.  Although in my case, my mom is the patient.  We thought it would be good for her emotional/mental health to have some support system separate from our family.  Unfortunately, she is not very mobile right now and she is not tech-savvy enough to utilize the boards or forums.  To a lesser extent, she also has a small language barrier.  We are now looking for a therapist or counselor trained to speak with cancer patients.  That might be helpful as well?

Cindyco
                                                    Participant

Hi Jen,

jennunicorn
                                                      Participant

Hi Jen, I did a quick Google search to see what would come up and found this:

http://www.cancersupportredondobeach.org/programs/weekly-support-groups

They have a family/partners support group. You are unlikely to find any melanoma specific support groups, even up here in SF area it's impossible to find mel specific. But I have attended a couple general cancer support groups at Stanford and realized it really doesn't matter what kind of cancer you have, we all had such similar feelings anyway it felt good to talk to others in person. I imagine it would be the same experience for a caregiver. 

This one came up as well:

http://www.torrancememorial.org/Medical_Services/Cancer_Institute/Resources_and_Support/Cancer_Support_Groups.aspx

jennunicorn
                                                        Participant

They have a family/partners support group. You are unlikely to find any melanoma specific support groups, even up here in SF area it's impossible to find mel specific. But I have attended a couple general cancer support groups at Stanford and realized it really doesn't matter what kind of cancer you have, we all had such similar feelings anyway it felt good to talk to others in person. I imagine it would be the same experience for a caregiver. 

http://www.torrancememorial.org/Medical_Services/Cancer_Institute/Resources_and_Support/Cancer_Support_Groups.aspx

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

snow white
                                                            Participant

Thank you Jenn.  I have looked into one of those and it did not work out.  I will definitely check the other one. Thanks for taking the time to help.

:). Jen

snow white
                                                              Participant

Thank you Jenn.  I have looked into one of those and it did not work out.  I will definitely check the other one. Thanks for taking the time to help.

snow white
                                                                Participant

Charlie S
                                                                  Participant

I gave a whistle to the City of Redondo Beach and spoke with some helpful folks.

Got these for starters:

CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUPS
                                                                    Advantage Program Caregiver Support Contact: 310-519-4711
                                                                    Group When: Every Tuesday
                                                                    Torrance Memorial Medical Center 6:30-8:00 p.m.
                                                                    3330 Lomita Boulevard Fee: First session free
                                                                    Torrance, CA 90503 Following sessions $2 each
                                                                    Additional Information: On-going support group provides information, support and companionship to
                                                                    individuals providing care for another. Group meets at Torrance Memorial Medical Center, West Tower, 5th
                                                                    Floor, Room H.
                                                                    Caregiver’s Support Group Contact: 310-832-6031

Do you provide care for a spouse, parent, or loved one? Caregiving gives joy and satisfaction, and presents
                                                                    challenges and struggles. Listen to others as we support each other with common issues.
                                                                    Caregiver Resource Center Contact: 855-872-6060
                                                                    USC Family Care Givers Support Group
                                                                    http://www.losangelescrc.org When: Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
                                                                    Additional information: Free website resources with care planning, decision-making, timely articles and
                                                                    online access to a variety of medical and legal experts. Visit the website for more details on support
                                                                    groups, respite, work shops and classes.

A lady fronm their senior services is supposed to get to back to me with some others.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie S
                                                                    Participant

I gave a whistle to the City of Redondo Beach and spoke with some helpful folks.

Got these for starters:

CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUPS
                                                                      Additional Information: On-going support group provides information, support and companionship to
                                                                      individuals providing care for another. Group meets at Torrance Memorial Medical Center, West Tower, 5th
                                                                      Floor, Room H.

Do you provide care for a spouse, parent, or loved one? Caregiving gives joy and satisfaction, and presents
                                                                      challenges and struggles. Listen to others as we support each other with common issues.
                                                                      Additional information: Free website resources with care planning, decision-making, timely articles and
                                                                      online access to a variety of medical and legal experts. Visit the website for more details on support

A lady fronm their senior services is supposed to get to back to me with some others.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie S
                                                                      Participant

Got these for starters:

CAREGIVER SUPPORT GROUPS
                                                                        Floor, Room H.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Charlie

snow white
                                                                        Participant

Wow!  Thank you so much Charlie!!!!  I appreciate all of your time spent on this.  These looks like they could be promising. I have been so overwhelmed with Dads latest development, I have taken the time to dig deeper for info.  Again, thank you so much, we appreciate it so much.

xo Jen

Bubbles
                                                                          Participant

The 'S' in Charlie's name stands for SUPERman!!!  c

snow white
                                                                            Participant

I completely agree Celeste ๐Ÿ™‚

snow white
                                                                              Participant

snow white
                                                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                  Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                    Participant

snow white
                                                                                      Participant

Wow!  Thank you so much Charlie!!!!  I appreciate all of your time spent on this.  These looks like they could be promising. I have been so overwhelmed with Dads latest development, I have taken the time to dig deeper for info.  Again, thank you so much, we appreciate it so much.

xo Jen

snow white
                                                                                        Participant

xo Jen

snow white
                                                                                          Participant

Jen

Charlie S
                                                                                          Participant

Cheers,

Charlie

Viewing 5 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics