The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sunscreen

Forums General Melanoma Community Sunscreen

Participant

Does anyone have a great sunscreen they use every day that doesn't feel like they are wearing sunscreen? It feels like a neverending search for the right one. I have sport ones for when I am more active and don't care if I feel like I am wearing sunscreen. And I have face moisturizer with sunscreen in it that I like. But, finding that one for the whole body for just regular every day use seems difficult. I also hate the smell of most sunscreens. My derm recommended EltaMD sunscreens.. they are kind of expensive, not too bad, but before I go buying some, if anyone has tried it, do you like it for every day?

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        keepthefaith11
        Participant
          Jenn, I use EltaMD and absolutely love it! It is light and goes on easily. Highly recommended!
          keepthefaith11
          Participant
            Jenn, I use EltaMD and absolutely love it! It is light and goes on easily. Highly recommended!
            keepthefaith11
            Participant
              Gene_S
              Participant

Sunscreen is made up of chemicals and you go out into the sun and bake them into your skin and body.  This cannot be a good thing.  Natural sunscreen is coconut oil.  Don't stay out until you burn.  Not only that but the Vitamin D3 you get from the sun can't get through the sunscreen either so you are not getting what your body needs.

Chemicals you ingest are not good for you so you shouldn't bake them into your system either.

Janner
                  Participant

Can you show us the clinical studies that show coconut oil protects against UVA and UVB radiation? 

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      There are a number of articles out there showing that various oils protect against UVA and UVB rays. I try not to wear sunscreen on a daily basis so I can get enough Vitamin D to help fight the cancer. If I’m going to be outside, I am very careful to use coconut oil (about SPF 8) and seek shade if I begin to get pink.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3140123/#!po=57.3171

WithinMySkin
                      Participant
                        There are a number of articles out there showing that various oils protect against UVA and UVB rays. I try not to wear sunscreen on a daily basis so I can get enough Vitamin D to help fight the cancer. If I’m going to be outside, I am very careful to use coconut oil (about SPF 8) and seek shade if I begin to get pink.

jennunicorn
                        Participant

SPF 8 seems basically pointless… I get that there are oils that have minmal protection, but for us who are very susceptible to skin cancer, that's not a risk I am willing to take. I won't wear anything under SPF 30. I really avoid sun when possible. Shade, long sleeved sun protective clothing, etc… but unless I stay inside all the time and not enjoy life, I have to make sure I am as protected as possible when I go out for a hike or a day by the ocean. 

jennunicorn
                          Participant

SPF 8 seems basically pointless… I get that there are oils that have minmal protection, but for us who are very susceptible to skin cancer, that's not a risk I am willing to take. I won't wear anything under SPF 30. I really avoid sun when possible. Shade, long sleeved sun protective clothing, etc… but unless I stay inside all the time and not enjoy life, I have to make sure I am as protected as possible when I go out for a hike or a day by the ocean. 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Gene_S
                              Participant

Melanoma Skin Cancer is not caused by sun exposure.  Surely badly burnt but not in general sun exposure.  My husband worked 40 years of mainly afternoon and midnights and he had melanoma and it did not run in his family.

Plus he had it on his scalp under a very thick head of dark colored hair and was not burned badly.  He was sleeping when the sun would have been bad to be in or he was getting ready for work.

His Vitamin D3 levels were also low because he wasn't getting enough of the good sun.  Just think of all the chemicals you are burning into you body if you are out in it for long periods when it is bad and you are using sunscreen plus they block the Vitamin D3.  You don't have to be a hermit just get small amounts of sun and your body will naturally build up its ability to be in the sun for  little longer periods as time goes on.  If you live above Atlanta, GA you are probably Vitamin D3 deficient.  And while it is called Vitamin it is not it is a hormone that your body needs.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 3 years)

Gene_S
                                Participant

Melanoma Skin Cancer is not caused by sun exposure.  Surely badly burnt but not in general sun exposure.  My husband worked 40 years of mainly afternoon and midnights and he had melanoma and it did not run in his family.

Plus he had it on his scalp under a very thick head of dark colored hair and was not burned badly.  He was sleeping when the sun would have been bad to be in or he was getting ready for work.

His Vitamin D3 levels were also low because he wasn't getting enough of the good sun.  Just think of all the chemicals you are burning into you body if you are out in it for long periods when it is bad and you are using sunscreen plus they block the Vitamin D3.  You don't have to be a hermit just get small amounts of sun and your body will naturally build up its ability to be in the sun for  little longer periods as time goes on.  If you live above Atlanta, GA you are probably Vitamin D3 deficient.  And while it is called Vitamin it is not it is a hormone that your body needs.

Gene_S
                                  Participant

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

I agree, Melanoma for some people can occur for other reasons than the sun. I live in California, lots of sun here, and I do go out without sunscreen if I am not going to be in the sun long, so I definitely get my vitamin D3, certainly never been deficit in that living here most of my life. There has been a lot of research suggesting that we do need to protect ourselves from UV rays when out in the sun for an extended period of time, so I don't think I could say that Melanoma is not caused by sun exposure… just not a risk I'll take. No one can pinpoint exactly why I have Melanoma, maybe it is because of past bad sun burns, maybe it is the gene that creates the color red in my hair, maybe a long long time ago a family member I never knew had it, I don't know. But, if I can protect my skin just a little.. I'll do what I can.

Thanks Judy, all the best to you and Gene.

jennunicorn
                                      Participant

I agree, Melanoma for some people can occur for other reasons than the sun. I live in California, lots of sun here, and I do go out without sunscreen if I am not going to be in the sun long, so I definitely get my vitamin D3, certainly never been deficit in that living here most of my life. There has been a lot of research suggesting that we do need to protect ourselves from UV rays when out in the sun for an extended period of time, so I don't think I could say that Melanoma is not caused by sun exposure… just not a risk I'll take. No one can pinpoint exactly why I have Melanoma, maybe it is because of past bad sun burns, maybe it is the gene that creates the color red in my hair, maybe a long long time ago a family member I never knew had it, I don't know. But, if I can protect my skin just a little.. I'll do what I can.

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

WithinMySkin
                                          Participant

SPF 8 cuts out a huge percentage of the sun, and cuts down on the Vit. D your skin receives by almost 95%.  An SPF rating of 15 cuts out 93% of the sun's rays. SPF 30 cuts out 97% of the sun's rays. SPF doesn't work in a linear fashion, and anything over 30 is pointless. So SPF of 8 is much more powerful than you may think.

I know dermatologists have frightened us into believing that melanoma is caused by the sun. But studies from England have shown melanoma increasing the most in groups of office workers and people who get the least sun. Being deficient in Vit. D can actually CAUSE cancer. So it's all about balance. Get some sun, get some Vit. D., but don't burn. 

WithinMySkin
                                            Participant

SPF 8 cuts out a huge percentage of the sun, and cuts down on the Vit. D your skin receives by almost 95%.  An SPF rating of 15 cuts out 93% of the sun's rays. SPF 30 cuts out 97% of the sun's rays. SPF doesn't work in a linear fashion, and anything over 30 is pointless. So SPF of 8 is much more powerful than you may think.

I know dermatologists have frightened us into believing that melanoma is caused by the sun. But studies from England have shown melanoma increasing the most in groups of office workers and people who get the least sun. Being deficient in Vit. D can actually CAUSE cancer. So it's all about balance. Get some sun, get some Vit. D., but don't burn. 

WithinMySkin
                                              Participant

WithinMySkin
                                                Participant

Janner
                                                  Participant

Can you show us the clinical studies that show coconut oil protects against UVA and UVB radiation? 

Janner
                                                    Participant

jennunicorn
                                                      Participant

There are actually a lot of non chemical sun screens, like EltaMD. I am very pale, therefore it takes very little time in the sun (which I try to avoid at all costs anyway) to get my vitamin D. Coconut oil is NOT a good alternative. 

Please read this:

http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/myth-or-fact-coconut-is-an-effective-sunscreen

I know it is best to do things as naturally as possible for our health and environment, but, we can't always believe everything we read on the internet these days either. 

jennunicorn
                                                        Participant

There are actually a lot of non chemical sun screens, like EltaMD. I am very pale, therefore it takes very little time in the sun (which I try to avoid at all costs anyway) to get my vitamin D. Coconut oil is NOT a good alternative. 

Please read this:

http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/myth-or-fact-coconut-is-an-effective-sunscreen

I know it is best to do things as naturally as possible for our health and environment, but, we can't always believe everything we read on the internet these days either. 

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

Please read this:

Gene_S
                                                          Participant

Sunscreen is made up of chemicals and you go out into the sun and bake them into your skin and body.  This cannot be a good thing.  Natural sunscreen is coconut oil.  Don't stay out until you burn.  Not only that but the Vitamin D3 you get from the sun can't get through the sunscreen either so you are not getting what your body needs.

Chemicals you ingest are not good for you so you shouldn't bake them into your system either.

Gene_S
                                                            Participant

gregor913
                                                              Participant
                                                                Probaly your not interested. But they do sell spf clothing also. I already bought a hat for the upcoming summer. Greg
                                                                gregor913
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Probaly your not interested. But they do sell spf clothing also. I already bought a hat for the upcoming summer. Greg
                                                                    jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

I have lots of upf long sleeved tops and pants, a hat is my next purchase… I have never ever liked wearing hats, but they will have to be my new fashion statement now! Coolibar has been my favorite brand for sun protective clothing… definitely not cheap, but well made and well worth it!

jennunicorn
                                                                      Participant

I have lots of upf long sleeved tops and pants, a hat is my next purchase… I have never ever liked wearing hats, but they will have to be my new fashion statement now! Coolibar has been my favorite brand for sun protective clothing… definitely not cheap, but well made and well worth it!

jennunicorn
                                                                        Participant

jenny22
                                                                          Participant

Agreed on Coolibar…..I live in thier stuff…its lightwieght and tolerable to wear even when you'd prefer not to have added layers on….as far as hats…well i think my GOOD HAIR days are over, as I wear hat most times i'm in the sun….regardless…..oh well….Just not as important as it used to be!!!!!

Re: suncreen- I would love to find one that isnt at all greasy, i have tried many…I think I'll look for the one mentionned here…

Tks,

jenny

keepthefaith11
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Jenny, I think you will love it. Not greasy at all.
                                                                              keepthefaith11
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                keepthefaith11
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  jenny22
                                                                                  Participant

Agreed on Coolibar…..I live in thier stuff…its lightwieght and tolerable to wear even when you'd prefer not to have added layers on….as far as hats…well i think my GOOD HAIR days are over, as I wear hat most times i'm in the sun….regardless…..oh well….Just not as important as it used to be!!!!!

Re: suncreen- I would love to find one that isnt at all greasy, i have tried many…I think I'll look for the one mentionned here…

Tks,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                    Participant

Tks,

jenny

gregor913
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      Lil0909
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        I really like la roche posay melt in sunacreen milk, coola and supergoop products. I use supergoop sunscreen serum for face regularly.
                                                                                        Lil0909
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          I really like la roche posay melt in sunacreen milk, coola and supergoop products. I use supergoop sunscreen serum for face regularly.
                                                                                          Lil0909
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                              jennunicorn
                                                                                              Participant

I'll look into those, thanks!

jennunicorn
                                                                                                Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                  Participant

OkieJen
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Jenn,

I use CeraVe facial lotion daily on my face, ears, and neck. It is 30 SPF, lightweight, non-greasy, and goes well under makeup. It was recommended by one of my dermatologists. CeraVe also makes a more aggressive sunscreen/block if you are going to be out in the sun a lot which is 50 SPF, but it makes me white as a ghost. I guess that beats the alternative. You can find it at Walgreens and Target. As for a general moisterizer, if I am not going to be outside much (driving in my car, grocery shopping, etc). I use Lubriderm daily mosterure lotion with sunscreen. It is broad spectrum with SPF 15. I like to use it on my arms for when I am driving.  If I know I am going to be out in the sun a lot, I wear sun protective clothing from Coolibar or UV skins and a sun protective hat. We recently went to Australia for 3 weeks and the sun there is very intense even when it wasn't particularly hot. I wore this clothing all the time and when we went to the beach I wore sunprotective swim pants and a sunprotective long sleeved swim suit. I just had to put sunscreen on my face, ears, neck, and feet. I never burned or even got the least bit tan, so I was quite happy. My daughter who is very fair (blonde haired and blue eyed) wore full body swim suits with matching hats from UV skins. They have them in all sorts of cute patterns. She looked adorable. it was nice to not have to slather on lotion all the time. Hope this all helps. Good luck!

OkieJen
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Jenn,

I use CeraVe facial lotion daily on my face, ears, and neck. It is 30 SPF, lightweight, non-greasy, and goes well under makeup. It was recommended by one of my dermatologists. CeraVe also makes a more aggressive sunscreen/block if you are going to be out in the sun a lot which is 50 SPF, but it makes me white as a ghost. I guess that beats the alternative. You can find it at Walgreens and Target. As for a general moisterizer, if I am not going to be outside much (driving in my car, grocery shopping, etc). I use Lubriderm daily mosterure lotion with sunscreen. It is broad spectrum with SPF 15. I like to use it on my arms for when I am driving.  If I know I am going to be out in the sun a lot, I wear sun protective clothing from Coolibar or UV skins and a sun protective hat. We recently went to Australia for 3 weeks and the sun there is very intense even when it wasn't particularly hot. I wore this clothing all the time and when we went to the beach I wore sunprotective swim pants and a sunprotective long sleeved swim suit. I just had to put sunscreen on my face, ears, neck, and feet. I never burned or even got the least bit tan, so I was quite happy. My daughter who is very fair (blonde haired and blue eyed) wore full body swim suits with matching hats from UV skins. They have them in all sorts of cute patterns. She looked adorable. it was nice to not have to slather on lotion all the time. Hope this all helps. Good luck!

OkieJen
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Jenn,

jennunicorn
                                                                                                          Participant

That helped a lot! Thanks!

jennunicorn
                                                                                                            Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                              Participant

kylez
                                                                                                              Participant

I like Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion. It's SPF30. It goes on very non-greasy.

kylez
                                                                                                                Participant

I like Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion. It's SPF30. It goes on very non-greasy.

kylez
                                                                                                                  Participant

blessd4x
                                                                                                                    Participant

We order ours from Neutrogena website. SPF 100.  Its light, dries right away and doesnt clog any pores.  We love it. 

blessd4x
                                                                                                                      Participant

We order ours from Neutrogena website. SPF 100.  Its light, dries right away and doesnt clog any pores.  We love it. 

blessd4x
                                                                                                                        Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                          Participant

Update for anyone who may look at this thread for sunscreen suggestions:

I bought EltaMD UV Sport sunscreen, spf 50, UVA/UVB protection, transparent zinc oxide. Wore it today for the first time since I was going to San Francisco on a really nice and sunny day. Excellent sunscreen! I did not feel greasy, it's not heavy, and it didn't make me smell like a bottle of sunscreen. Plus, after a couple hours in the sun, no redness or sunburn at all! 

It is a little pricey, but well worth it in my mind. 

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                            Participant

I bought EltaMD UV Sport sunscreen, spf 50, UVA/UVB protection, transparent zinc oxide. Wore it today for the first time since I was going to San Francisco on a really nice and sunny day. Excellent sunscreen! I did not feel greasy, it's not heavy, and it didn't make me smell like a bottle of sunscreen. Plus, after a couple hours in the sun, no redness or sunburn at all! 

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                              Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics