The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sunscreen

Forums General Melanoma Community Sunscreen

Participant
      Going on a 10-day Caribbean cruise next month. Any suggestions for the best type of sunscreen to use? Any ingredients better than others? Thanks.
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Sunscreen should contain one of the following ingredients.  Then the next best thing is making sure you reapply often – sunscreen isn't much good if it isn't on your skin.  I don't have much input on the particular brands – I've used all of them at one time or another and none of them are wonderful in my eyes (I prefer to coverup).

* Zinc Oxide (physical block)

* Titanium Dioxide (physical block)

* Avobenzone (chemical block)

* Mexoryl (only found in L'Oreal products)

Janner
          Participant

Sunscreen should contain one of the following ingredients.  Then the next best thing is making sure you reapply often – sunscreen isn't much good if it isn't on your skin.  I don't have much input on the particular brands – I've used all of them at one time or another and none of them are wonderful in my eyes (I prefer to coverup).

Janner
            Participant

kylez
              Participant

I had been using one of the Anthelios sunscreens from L'Oreal that had Mexoryl. Not all of them do. Lately I've been using Philip Thomas Roth Max sheer all day moisturizer defense lotion. It has avobenzone. That one goes on very nicely without feeling like I have sunscreen on my face all day. Both of these are expensive. I also would suggest UPF rated clothing so that the expensive sunscreen only needs to go on your face. As a bonus I feel less fried/tired wearing UPF clothing after a sun-heavy day than I would otherwise.

Have a great cruise!

kylez
                Participant

I had been using one of the Anthelios sunscreens from L'Oreal that had Mexoryl. Not all of them do. Lately I've been using Philip Thomas Roth Max sheer all day moisturizer defense lotion. It has avobenzone. That one goes on very nicely without feeling like I have sunscreen on my face all day. Both of these are expensive. I also would suggest UPF rated clothing so that the expensive sunscreen only needs to go on your face. As a bonus I feel less fried/tired wearing UPF clothing after a sun-heavy day than I would otherwise.

Have a great cruise!

kylez
                  Participant

Have a great cruise!

Lindsayblueyes
                    Participant
                      Thank you!
                        SoCalDave
                        Participant

Awhile back there was a place offering these:

http://www.bethesdaskincare.com/product_info.php?products_id=65

Soap with SPF built in. I tried it and liked it. Coming from a guy who doesn't know a whole lot about soaps, but even I could feel a difference. 

But for me (and probably the rest on this forum), I just avoid those 10-4 hours in the sun. This did put a crimp on my lifestyle as I was (and still am) a pretty active bike rider. You'd see me out on those rides with groups on Saturday and Sunday. Now I just go eary or late in the afternoon. Miss the social aspect but still love riding too much to quit. 

Learn to love the shade!.

Dave

SoCalDave
                          Participant

Soap with SPF built in. I tried it and liked it. Coming from a guy who doesn't know a whole lot about soaps, but even I could feel a difference. 

But for me (and probably the rest on this forum), I just avoid those 10-4 hours in the sun. This did put a crimp on my lifestyle as I was (and still am) a pretty active bike rider. You'd see me out on those rides with groups on Saturday and Sunday. Now I just go eary or late in the afternoon. Miss the social aspect but still love riding too much to quit. 

Dave

SoCalDave
                            Participant

Dave

Lindsayblueyes
                            Participant
                              Thank you!
                              Lindsayblueyes
                              Participant
                                Thank you!
                                Gene_S
                                Participant

My opinion is sunscreen is made up of bad chemicals and when you go into the sun you are baking it into your body.  Plus your skin is the largest organ.

I have been on many Caribbean cruises.  I limit my time in the sun to 10-15 minutes and do this several times a day. I then go in the shade or cover my body with a light fabric, hat or whatever.  If I put anything on my skin it is coconut oil as it is a natural sunscreen.

Gene_S
                                  Participant

My opinion is sunscreen is made up of bad chemicals and when you go into the sun you are baking it into your body.  Plus your skin is the largest organ.

I have been on many Caribbean cruises.  I limit my time in the sun to 10-15 minutes and do this several times a day. I then go in the shade or cover my body with a light fabric, hat or whatever.  If I put anything on my skin it is coconut oil as it is a natural sunscreen.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics