The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

sunless tanning?

Forums General Melanoma Community sunless tanning?

Participant
      With my diagnosis of melanoma I’ve recently been thinking about purchasing a self tanning creme, and possibly splurging on a professional spray tan. I mentioned this to a friend, and she thought these cremes and spray tans could contain harmful chemicals?? Does anyone have information about the advers effects of these services?

With my diagnosis of melanoma I’ve recently been thinking about purchasing a self tanning creme, and possibly splurging on a professional spray tan. I mentioned this to a friend, and she thought these cremes and spray tans could contain harmful chemicals?? Does anyone have information about the advers effects of these services?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tracy Chicago
        Participant

This is what the FDA website says about sunless tanning:

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/ProductInformation/ucm134064.htm

The FDA does not regulate sunless tanning lotions and I worry that years from now we will find out it's not good for you to use. I know when I've used the spray booths I've inhaled whatever is in the spray.

While I'm in favor of using sunless tanning over real tanning, why not embrace your pale?  I work with a lot of college age people and I tell them every year about the dangers of tanning. I think the kids take me more serioulsy if I"m pale as opposed to tan (they wouldn't know it was from a bottle). 

Best regards,

Tracy

Tracy Chicago
          Participant

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/ProductInformation/ucm134064.htm

The FDA does not regulate sunless tanning lotions and I worry that years from now we will find out it's not good for you to use. I know when I've used the spray booths I've inhaled whatever is in the spray.

While I'm in favor of using sunless tanning over real tanning, why not embrace your pale?  I work with a lot of college age people and I tell them every year about the dangers of tanning. I think the kids take me more serioulsy if I"m pale as opposed to tan (they wouldn't know it was from a bottle). 

Best regards,

Tracy

Tracy Chicago
            Participant

Best regards,

Tracy

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics