The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

suncreen!

Forums General Melanoma Community suncreen!

Participant
      Hey y’all! So in a few weeks I’m taking my nephew to the pool, because I promised. What kind of sunscreen should I use? There’s so many kinds and I’m confused. Gah!

Hey y’all! So in a few weeks I’m taking my nephew to the pool, because I promised. What kind of sunscreen should I use? There’s so many kinds and I’m confused. Gah!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

My personal choices are Blue Lizard Baby or Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby.  They both contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.  These block UVB and UVA.  Any sunblock that have those ingredients are good.  There are 3 ingredients that block UVA – zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and Avobenzone.   Avobenzone is a chemical block while the others are physical blocks.   You want one of those three ingredients to give you the best protection.  Blue Lizard Baby is great, but is very hard to rub in.  Neutrogena is a little less "white" and obvious.

Have fun!

Janner

Janner
          Participant

My personal choices are Blue Lizard Baby or Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby.  They both contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.  These block UVB and UVA.  Any sunblock that have those ingredients are good.  There are 3 ingredients that block UVA – zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and Avobenzone.   Avobenzone is a chemical block while the others are physical blocks.   You want one of those three ingredients to give you the best protection.  Blue Lizard Baby is great, but is very hard to rub in.  Neutrogena is a little less "white" and obvious.

Have fun!

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Have fun!

Janner

Webbie73
                Participant
                  I just had a terrible photo allergic reaction to chemical sunscreen. I had been using chemical based sunscreens for over 30 years. After a visit to my derm to treat the reaction I have switched to physical blocks. I just tried Wlagreen’s sensitive skin which is a physical block. So far it has the least “white” and ease of spreading of the sunscreens I have tried(mostly baby sunscreens). For my face I use Chanel which I love. No “white” whatsoever.
                  Webbie73
                  Participant
                    I just had a terrible photo allergic reaction to chemical sunscreen. I had been using chemical based sunscreens for over 30 years. After a visit to my derm to treat the reaction I have switched to physical blocks. I just tried Wlagreen’s sensitive skin which is a physical block. So far it has the least “white” and ease of spreading of the sunscreens I have tried(mostly baby sunscreens). For my face I use Chanel which I love. No “white” whatsoever.
                    Webbie73
                    Participant
                      I never used sunscreen except when climbing glaciers and then just the white cream. I have stage four Mel, and now I use SP 70 that I buy at CVS when I go to Boston for my 28 day intervals.
                      I spray it all over, and it works upside down. It is clear and I wonder how much good it really does. They say SPF 70 allows the same amount of UV in 70 minutes that we would get in 10 without it. Has anyone else heard this.
                      john Murphy
                      I never used sunscreen except when climbing glaciers and then just the white cream. I have stage four Mel, and now I use SP 70 that I buy at CVS when I go to Boston for my 28 day intervals.
                      I spray it all over, and it works upside down. It is clear and I wonder how much good it really does. They say SPF 70 allows the same amount of UV in 70 minutes that we would get in 10 without it. Has anyone else heard this.
                      john Murphy
                      john Murphy
                    audgator
                    Participant

I read an article once but I forget the authoritative source. I do remember it being someone I believed. The two I settled on from the recommended list were Equate (has avobenzone) & NoAd (can't find the bottle & don't remember the ingredients).  I should post a pic of the way I play golf: long sleeves, long pants, wide brim hat, & two gloves. In Florida, I am a strange sight.    Dan

audgator
                      Participant

I read an article once but I forget the authoritative source. I do remember it being someone I believed. The two I settled on from the recommended list were Equate (has avobenzone) & NoAd (can't find the bottle & don't remember the ingredients).  I should post a pic of the way I play golf: long sleeves, long pants, wide brim hat, & two gloves. In Florida, I am a strange sight.    Dan

audgator
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/the-toxic-truth-of-sunscr_n_590516.html#s93707&title=The_Worst

Be sure to see/read the slide show.

=====================================

"Since scientist do not have definitive answers about sunscreen and skin cancer, it is no wonder that many experts recommend that people rely on clothing and shade, rather than sunscreen, to protect themselves from sun exposure."

Complete article at:

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/sunscreens-exposed/sunscreen-and-skin-cancer/

======================================

IMHO, Never put anything on your skin that you wouldn't put into your mouth!

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                            Participant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/the-toxic-truth-of-sunscr_n_590516.html#s93707&title=The_Worst

"Since scientist do not have definitive answers about sunscreen and skin cancer, it is no wonder that many experts recommend that people rely on clothing and shade, rather than sunscreen, to protect themselves from sun exposure."

Complete article at:

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/sunscreens-exposed/sunscreen-and-skin-cancer/

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                              Participant

Complete article at:

Best wishes,

Gene

mcanova
                                Participant

I prefer protective clothing as well.

But if sunblock is the only choice, I've been using Badger SPF30+ Unscented.  The active ingredient is Non-nano Zink Oxide.  The additional ingredients are Oleo Europaea (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Cera Albana (Beeswax), Butyrosperum Parkil (Shea Butter), Theobromoma Cacao (Cocoa Butter) etc.  All natural and edible as far as I can tell.  It does attract bugs!

If you use enough, it will leave a white residue.

Good luck!

Mike from Richmond.

mcanova
                                  Participant

But if sunblock is the only choice, I've been using Badger SPF30+ Unscented.  The active ingredient is Non-nano Zink Oxide.  The additional ingredients are Oleo Europaea (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Cera Albana (Beeswax), Butyrosperum Parkil (Shea Butter), Theobromoma Cacao (Cocoa Butter) etc.  All natural and edible as far as I can tell.  It does attract bugs!

Good luck!

Mike from Richmond.

mcanova
                                    Participant

Good luck!

Mike from Richmond.

killmel
                                      Participant

Anyone try this stuff & does it work???

Rit Sun Guard Laundry Treatment UV Protectant

Sun Guard puts an invisible shield into clothing that helps block more than 96% of the Sun's harmful rays from reaching your skin! Your clothes may not offer enough protection from harmful UV Rays from the Sun. For example, a typical white T-shirt is rated UPF 5. A single treatment with Sun Guard boosts its rating to UPF 30. It won't change the color or comfort of clothing. One treatment is good for repeated washings. It's safe for the whole family. Safe for all washable fabrics. Will not add sun protection to 100% polyester and acrylic fabrics. We have packaged this item in 6 packs. Each box provides enough protectant for one laundry cycle

killmel
                                        Participant

Sun Guard puts an invisible shield into clothing that helps block more than 96% of the Sun's harmful rays from reaching your skin! Your clothes may not offer enough protection from harmful UV Rays from the Sun. For example, a typical white T-shirt is rated UPF 5. A single treatment with Sun Guard boosts its rating to UPF 30. It won't change the color or comfort of clothing. One treatment is good for repeated washings. It's safe for the whole family. Safe for all washable fabrics. Will not add sun protection to 100% polyester and acrylic fabrics. We have packaged this item in 6 packs. Each box provides enough protectant for one laundry cycle

killmel
                                          Participant

Tim–MRF

Sunscreen, as you can see, is a very personal choice.  I don't believe the reports from the EWG about the dangerous nature of chemical sunscreen.  Absolutely no data supports their claims and a lot of science shows those claims to be questionable at best.  Having said that, I know a lot of people who prefer the mineral based products (zinc and titanium) because they simply work better.

As important as the brand, if not more so, is that sunscreen be applied correctly.  For an adult that means about a shot-glass full for each application, and re-applying every couple of hours and after getting wet or sweaty.

The FDA has new labeling guidelines for sunscreens which they have just delayed.  I suppose since they took nearly a decade to come up with the guidelines we shouldn't get too upset when the extend the deadline for implementation from one year to 18 months.  After all , we wouldn't want to rush these things, right?

At any rate, those guidelines, if they are ever implemented, will prevent sunscreens from claiming to be waterproof, and will also stop the rather exhorbitant and unsupported high SPF numbers.

Use SPF 30

Focus on mineral based

Be sure it covers UVA and UVB

Apply generously

Reapply often and after getting wet.

The brand, then, becomes a matter of choice.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Sunscreen, as you can see, is a very personal choice.  I don't believe the reports from the EWG about the dangerous nature of chemical sunscreen.  Absolutely no data supports their claims and a lot of science shows those claims to be questionable at best.  Having said that, I know a lot of people who prefer the mineral based products (zinc and titanium) because they simply work better.

As important as the brand, if not more so, is that sunscreen be applied correctly.  For an adult that means about a shot-glass full for each application, and re-applying every couple of hours and after getting wet or sweaty.

The FDA has new labeling guidelines for sunscreens which they have just delayed.  I suppose since they took nearly a decade to come up with the guidelines we shouldn't get too upset when the extend the deadline for implementation from one year to 18 months.  After all , we wouldn't want to rush these things, right?

At any rate, those guidelines, if they are ever implemented, will prevent sunscreens from claiming to be waterproof, and will also stop the rather exhorbitant and unsupported high SPF numbers.

Use SPF 30

Focus on mineral based

Apply generously

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Use SPF 30

Focus on mineral based

Apply generously

Tim–MRF

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics