The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sun burns as a child not as big as a factor in melanoma as they say.

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Sun burns as a child not as big as a factor in melanoma as they say.

Participant
      I came across this article today and there is a list on the bottom that shows risk factors for melanoma. There are a few that surprised me.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20170523/Melanoma-could-affect-anyone-regardless-of-skin-color.aspx

“According to the Rush Department of Dermatology, a variety of physical, historical, and genetic traits increase the risk for developing melanoma, including the following:

Having a mole present within the first two weeks of life (a birth mole) (10-fold increased risk)
      Having a personal history of melanoma (nine-fold increased risk)
      Having a family history of melanoma (eight-fold increased risk)
      Having numerous moles and/or atypical moles (eight-fold to 40-fold increased risk)
      Having had a Spitz tumor removed (eight-fold increased risk)
      Having had an atypical nevus removed (seven-fold increased risk)
      Having had at least 2 moles removed in the past (five-fold increased risk)
      Prior treatment for psoriasis with more than 200 PUVA treatments (psoralen pills and ultraviolet A radiation) (five-fold increased risk)
      Having had a basal cell cancer or squamous cell cancer (four-fold increased risk)
      Presence of dense sun-induced freckles (three-fold increased risk)
      Immune suppression related to disease or medication (three-fold increased risk)
      Having red hair (two-fold increased risk)
      Having Parkinson disease (two-fold increased risk)
      Multiple sunburns in early childhood (two-fold increased risk)”

The first thing they asked me when I was diagnosed was about sunburns. I know I haven’t had many sunburns in my life, in fact I tan quite easily. This is the first time I read something that agreed with my thoughts on the matter.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        AliCat61
        Participant

Thank you for sharing that. My husband's doctor told him that there are certain types of melanoma that aren't affected by the sun at all. He actually said that he could have lived his entire life in a cave and never seen the sun and still developed his NEVOID MALIGNANT melanoma. Even so, the sun is very dangerous, and can definitely cause damage and many types of skin cancer, even some melanomas. For that reason, I encourage EVERYONE to use effective sunscreens liberally. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics