The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sugery this Thursday

Forums General Melanoma Community Sugery this Thursday

Participant

Hi, I am on again and stressed but on the computer.  Don't want my husband to feel my stress on top of his own.   We go down to Tampa for Dr Zager removing the rest of the lymph nodes on his right side.  We were told 2 – 3 days in the hospital, with first night in icu.  Will have a drain for 4-6 weeks, and lung surgery on 6/20 with Dr Toloza at Moffit.  That surgery will result in about 5 days in the hospital.

Hi, I am on again and stressed but on the computer.  Don't want my husband to feel my stress on top of his own.   We go down to Tampa for Dr Zager removing the rest of the lymph nodes on his right side.  We were told 2 – 3 days in the hospital, with first night in icu.  Will have a drain for 4-6 weeks, and lung surgery on 6/20 with Dr Toloza at Moffit.  That surgery will result in about 5 days in the hospital.

One good thing is his stress test last week was ok and the cardiologist gave his permission for the surgeries.  I guess I am just worrying about what will be next.  He feels fine physically so no symptons.  I have questions about after the surgeries.  Will he had radiation for the melanoma and the lung cancer?  Both doctors mentioned probably radiation treatment.  Not sure how that works other than I hear 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

None of the doctors said any more about the spot on his liver and as I read the doctors notes (THorasic and Melanoma), it states how all the tumors are growing, since the pet scan.  I guess I am looking to relieve stress typing on the board here and it does help.  Bottom line, I am just scared.

Thanks, Mary

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LibbyinVA
        Participant
          Hi, Mary – Of course you are afraid. You are dealing with a scary disease. This is the best place to brings your fears because we have all been there and really do know how you feel. We try to be strong for our loved ones which leaves us with no one to express our feelings to. All of which just increases our anxiety and fear. Your husband is probably just as afraid, but husbands and wives usually find it easier to talk to someone else, or not talk about it at all.

I have always felt that my husband and children had and continue to have a bigger burden to carry than I do. As the patient I somehow felt more in charge. However, all they felt was fear about losing me. This is difficult to explain, but I think if they had talked about it more, on a site like this, they might not have been so scared.

So, keep coming here when you feel scared. There are so many compassionate people here. This board was my lifeline when first diagnosed. I was dx’ed in 2005 at stage 3b and am about to celebrate my 8th year NED anniversary. Hope my story will give you some hope.

Just keep coming here whenever you want and there will be someone here to give you hope and compassion.

Wishing your husband all the best. Take care.

Libby

LibbyinVA
          Participant
            Hi, Mary – Of course you are afraid. You are dealing with a scary disease. This is the best place to brings your fears because we have all been there and really do know how you feel. We try to be strong for our loved ones which leaves us with no one to express our feelings to. All of which just increases our anxiety and fear. Your husband is probably just as afraid, but husbands and wives usually find it easier to talk to someone else, or not talk about it at all.

I have always felt that my husband and children had and continue to have a bigger burden to carry than I do. As the patient I somehow felt more in charge. However, all they felt was fear about losing me. This is difficult to explain, but I think if they had talked about it more, on a site like this, they might not have been so scared.

So, keep coming here when you feel scared. There are so many compassionate people here. This board was my lifeline when first diagnosed. I was dx’ed in 2005 at stage 3b and am about to celebrate my 8th year NED anniversary. Hope my story will give you some hope.

Just keep coming here whenever you want and there will be someone here to give you hope and compassion.

Libby

LibbyinVA
            Participant

Libby

washoegal
              Participant

Mary,

I can't blame you for being frightened.  You and your husband are going to have a rough several weeks.  There is one thing I have learned with oncologist, that is to stop them and slow them down and ask them questions.  If they have not mentioned the spot on the liver ask them.    Are you sure the spot on the liver is a tumor, it may very well not be.

You caught the lung cancer very early so hopefully there will be a complete cure.  The radiation is generally only for lung cancer, is is usually not effective for melanoma. 

Make sure you understand how to care for the drains before you bring your husband home.  Again, don't be afraid to ask questions more than once.

Mary

Stage 3

flvermonter
                  Participant
                    hello, thanks

you are right.. I need to ask about the liver dpit again. Dr Zager said he was not worried as was small and could be anything.
                    will also make sure I understand about the drsins. for when he is home.

thanks mary

NYKaren
                    Participant
                      Dear Mary,
                      You are spot on… This is just me, but when my husband tells me how worried he is about me, I feel soo guilty, and sometimes even angry. Once I lost it and said “I have enough on my plate, go tell someone else how worried you are!” Nice, right?
                      So you are definitely in the right place.
                      BTW, once you’re home, the hospital/doctor can probably have a visiting nurse come check on the drains.
                      You are both in my thoughts, please post when you can.
                      Karen
                      NYKaren
                      Participant
                        Dear Mary,
                        You are spot on… This is just me, but when my husband tells me how worried he is about me, I feel soo guilty, and sometimes even angry. Once I lost it and said “I have enough on my plate, go tell someone else how worried you are!” Nice, right?
                        BTW, once you’re home, the hospital/doctor can probably have a visiting nurse come check on the drains.
                        Karen
                        NYKaren
                        Participant
                          Dear Mary,
                          Karen
                          flvermonter
                          Participant

Thanks to all of you.   Hugs, Mary

flvermonter
                            Participant

flvermonter
                              Participant

flvermonter
                                Participant
                                  hello, thanks

you are right.. I need to ask about the liver dpit again. Dr Zager said he was not worried as was small and could be anything.

thanks mary

flvermonter
                                  Participant
                                    hello, thanks

thanks mary

washoegal
                                  Participant

Mary,

I can't blame you for being frightened.  You and your husband are going to have a rough several weeks.  There is one thing I have learned with oncologist, that is to stop them and slow them down and ask them questions.  If they have not mentioned the spot on the liver ask them.    Are you sure the spot on the liver is a tumor, it may very well not be.

You caught the lung cancer very early so hopefully there will be a complete cure.  The radiation is generally only for lung cancer, is is usually not effective for melanoma. 

Make sure you understand how to care for the drains before you bring your husband home.  Again, don't be afraid to ask questions more than once.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                    Participant

Mary,

Mary

Stage 3

Cindy VT
                                      Participant

Of Course you are scared.  Its a scarey thing to go through.  If you have faith its a good time to use it, if not, talking about it with people who understand helps.  I sincerely hope he will go through his surgery well.  You can't look to forward, its better if you just think about now and go from there. 

I wish you and your husband the best.

Cindy VT

Stage IIIB

Cindy VT
                                        Participant

Of Course you are scared.  Its a scarey thing to go through.  If you have faith its a good time to use it, if not, talking about it with people who understand helps.  I sincerely hope he will go through his surgery well.  You can't look to forward, its better if you just think about now and go from there. 

Cindy VT

Stage IIIB

Cindy VT
                                          Participant

Cindy VT

Stage IIIB

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics