The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Such a Dumb Question…

Forums General Melanoma Community Such a Dumb Question…

Participant

But it just occured to me today that if only 7% of people have a second primary then why do we avoid the sun after diagnosis with the first?

Not that I am looking for an excuse to go tanning or anything but my Doctor seems so vague about everything and I just wondered about it. Does exposure to the sun increase the chance of melanoma returning?

Cheers,

BonnieB (diagnosed stage 1 Nov 09)

But it just occured to me today that if only 7% of people have a second primary then why do we avoid the sun after diagnosis with the first?

Not that I am looking for an excuse to go tanning or anything but my Doctor seems so vague about everything and I just wondered about it. Does exposure to the sun increase the chance of melanoma returning?

Cheers,

BonnieB (diagnosed stage 1 Nov 09)

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        LizzM
        Participant

I think the statistics are taking into consideration that after someone has one melanoma that they will be sun safe after that.

LizzM
          Participant

I think the statistics are taking into consideration that after someone has one melanoma that they will be sun safe after that.

Janner
            Participant

It's a good question.  Having melanoma puts you at higher risk for the other types of skin cancer.  However, those are not often fatal although they can be quite disfiguring.  In addition, a genetic component might be responsible for many of the multiple primaries.  No one has proven that sun exposure causes melanoma although circumstantial evidence is high.  I, personally, think moderation is the key.  I don't seek the sun.  I do try to avoid burns.  But I also don't hide from being outside.  I tend to cover up more because I'm not fond of sunblock.  I have a genetic defect as well as 3 primaries.  I refuse to let melanoma rule my life.  I am just sensible and smart about my exposure and live life.  There is no right or wrong here, just doing what makes YOU comfortable.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
              Participant

It's a good question.  Having melanoma puts you at higher risk for the other types of skin cancer.  However, those are not often fatal although they can be quite disfiguring.  In addition, a genetic component might be responsible for many of the multiple primaries.  No one has proven that sun exposure causes melanoma although circumstantial evidence is high.  I, personally, think moderation is the key.  I don't seek the sun.  I do try to avoid burns.  But I also don't hide from being outside.  I tend to cover up more because I'm not fond of sunblock.  I have a genetic defect as well as 3 primaries.  I refuse to let melanoma rule my life.  I am just sensible and smart about my exposure and live life.  There is no right or wrong here, just doing what makes YOU comfortable.

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics