The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Subungual Melanoma – Can it appear overnight?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Subungual Melanoma – Can it appear overnight?

Participant

Hi guys, I hope someone can tell me about Subungual Melanoma and if it can appear overnight.

I was on a vacation and there was a lot of hiking under the sun and it was torture on my foot. The following day I notice a bluish black spot on my big toenail, about 1/4 in size of my toenail. It is not a straight line like I`ve seen on other website and it is also not round in shape. It is shape like a flame, where it is round on the botton and pointing on top. It doestnt hurt or anything. I though at first it was just a paint from the new aqua shoes I bought but I tried cleaning it but it seems to be under the toenail. 

Can a Subungual Melanoma that size appear overnight? I am freaking out here already!!!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

No. It is a bruise. Toenail bruises are incredibly common, can happen without you ever knowing it, and take a very long time to go away, you'll probably have that there for about 6 months or so. 

agila0212
            Participant

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. 

Treadlightly
              Participant

I agree with Jenn. It sounds like a bruise. I got a similar one after a softball game where I had run to home base really hard to score a point. When I was getting undressed to go to bed  that night I saw the purple nail on my big toe and was really surprized. It didn't hurt, but I went to the doctor anyway. He diagnosed it as just a bruise.

The nail should actually fall off with a new (clear) nail underneath…but that process will take months.

Mark

jennunicorn
                Participant

The nail doesn't always fall off unless you really do a number on it. I've had multiple good sized bruises on my big toenails and never had them fall off later. Sounds like you really got your toe good Mark, hope your team won the game! The one time I did have a nail fall off I stubbed my big toe so hard that the nail fell off right then! Took a long time to grow back, boy that was ugly.

agila0212
                  Participant

Thank you for your input 🙂 Gonna see a doctor just to be safe.

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics