The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Subq cream

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Subq cream

Participant

Could this be as great as it seems? Dated June, 2011, but it's not even June yet, so I don't understand.

Could this be as great as it seems? Dated June, 2011, but it's not even June yet, so I don't understand. (Not an advertisement.) Sorry bout the font, can't seem to fix it.

Complete regression of subcutaneous and cutaneous metastatic melanoma with high-dose intralesional interleukin 2 in combination with topical imiquimod and retinoid cream.

Source

aDepartments of Dermatology bSurgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of California Davis, School of Medicine cDepartment of Veteran Affairs Northern California Health Care System, Sacramento, California, USA.

Abstract

There are limited treatment options for metastatic melanoma, which is almost universally fatal. We report the successful treatment of 64 of 64 cutaneous and subcutaneous melanoma metastases in three patients using high-dose (22 million units per 1.2 ml) intralesional interleukin 2 (IL-2) in combination with topical imiquimod and a retinoid cream. Before intralesional therapy, all patients had been treated surgically and were no longer considered surgical candidates. Rebiopsy of 15 of the treatment sites and long-term follow-up (10, 12, and 27 months) showed regression of all treated tumors. Six months after discontinuation of therapy, one patient developed multiple new cutaneous metastases, but these were also responsive to treatment with intralesional therapy. The other two patients did not experience recurrence of their cutaneous melanoma. However, one of the two patients developed lymph node and brain metastases 18 months after initiation of intralesional therapy, but is still alive, now at 27 months. The concentration of IL-2 used for the intralesional therapy was much higher than in previously reported cases, which may explain the excellent responses that were observed. These results support intralesional high-dose IL-2 as a very effective therapy for controlling cutaneous metastatic melanoma. Additional studies are needed to determine whether this therapy is associated with a survival benefit. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        nicoli
        Participant

Uh, my bad. I thought it said 64 patients but it only said 3 patients. Still, promising.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
          Participant

Uh, my bad. I thought it said 64 patients but it only said 3 patients. Still, promising.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics