The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Subcutaneous no known primary (Stage 4a) Keytruda update

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Subcutaneous no known primary (Stage 4a) Keytruda update

Participant

Checking in after a long quiet time. Husband is getting his second-to-last Keytruda infusion today. Fingers crossed! He's been tired and sore lately, so we're hoping they take him off the drug.

One mass still lights up when he get's scanned, but his last few scans show that it's not spreading. The hope is that it's stable and his immune system is going to be able to keep it under control.

Of course, nothing is certain.

The drug doesn't seem to be making much difference anymore, so there's no point in keeping him on it. At least this is what his doctor said during the last visit. We'll see if he changes his mind (again)!

They will continue scanning and watching for changes. If it starts spreading, I'm not sure what they'll try.
      Not a good candidate for surgery because the tumor is near the spine.

Living with this uncertainty has made us kind of numb. Surprising what is possible. Humans can get used to almost anything. I guess that's the human spirit.

Warm wishes, strength, and spirit to all of you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Betsyl, there is some evidence that shows that using targeted radiation therapy can be helpful with these stubborn tumors. Dr. Jason Luke in Chicago has been doing some interesting work in this field. I am sure anytime the tumor is near the spine that they might be cautious about using radiation!!! Best wishes!!!!Ed

Bubbles
          Participant

Hey Betsyl,

Yes, it is very strange what we melanoma peeps and our dear ones can come to accept as "normal", isn't it???  I think Ed's point about radiation might be worth mentioning to your husband's docs…though you may have done this already and as Ed noted, depending on the tumor's location it may not be possible or recommended.  However, SRS and gamma knife type applications can make radiation incredibly focused and we know that radiation combined with immunotherapy can provide responses greater than either of those things when used alone.  Another rather out there idea, is whether or not injection of the tumor with an intralesional drug is possible?  I don't know if its location would allow for that, but many have attained success using these.  There are several – PV-10 and T-VEC being just a couple.  There's lots of info on my blog about them (just use the search bubble at the top left) if you are interested.  Kind of a long shot…but maybe worth asking about.

Hang in there.  Yours, celeste

betsyl
              Participant

Ed and Bubbles,
                Thanks for your ideas. I will certainly ask about these things. It would be so nice to have NED status. 🙂
                Cheers,
                Betsy 

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics