The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

struggling

Forums General Melanoma Community struggling

Participant
      I was diagnosed with stage 4 on Jan 2014. I have to admit I am struggling I just see life before me as hospital appointments after appointment jumping from one treatment to the next.I am not allowed abroad or to drive or for to theme parks cos of brain mets. I find it hard cos see my life being cut short and I am not ready to go buy how can I win when terminal. Does anyone else feel like this
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

I have known several people who have been diagnosed with Stag IV cancer of various kinds and who have chosen not to fight it. They decided that they would rather continue with life as usual for as long as possible rather than live life from one hospital visit to the next  and/or with chronic misery from chemo. So if you choose to go that route, it is certainly a valid option.

However, most people choose to fight their disease. In a surprising number of cases, grabbing for a few more months here and a few more months there has resulted in years long or even permanent cures. Doctor and hospital visits decrease with time. Side effects are being controlled much better now and new, more effective treatment options keep being introduced. 

Whether you choose to fight or how vigorously you choose to fight is up to you. A lot depends on the nature of your disease and the circumstances of your life. But deciding to forego treatment because you are very old, living alone, sick with other ailments and ready to go when God is ready to take you is very different from deciding that there's just no point in fighting. That sounds like depression. Please be aware that cancer and its treatments can cause depression– serious clinical depression. I strongly suggest that you ask your doctor to prescirbe an antidepressand and that you see a therapist (preferably a hospice grief counselor) to talk about your feelings. There are often very good and very helpful cancer patient group therapy sessions that you could join. 

POW
          Participant

I have known several people who have been diagnosed with Stag IV cancer of various kinds and who have chosen not to fight it. They decided that they would rather continue with life as usual for as long as possible rather than live life from one hospital visit to the next  and/or with chronic misery from chemo. So if you choose to go that route, it is certainly a valid option.

However, most people choose to fight their disease. In a surprising number of cases, grabbing for a few more months here and a few more months there has resulted in years long or even permanent cures. Doctor and hospital visits decrease with time. Side effects are being controlled much better now and new, more effective treatment options keep being introduced. 

Whether you choose to fight or how vigorously you choose to fight is up to you. A lot depends on the nature of your disease and the circumstances of your life. But deciding to forego treatment because you are very old, living alone, sick with other ailments and ready to go when God is ready to take you is very different from deciding that there's just no point in fighting. That sounds like depression. Please be aware that cancer and its treatments can cause depression– serious clinical depression. I strongly suggest that you ask your doctor to prescirbe an antidepressand and that you see a therapist (preferably a hospice grief counselor) to talk about your feelings. There are often very good and very helpful cancer patient group therapy sessions that you could join. 

POW
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

POW made some good points, but no one can know how that really feels until they've been there…..and even then, how each person responds and what they choose to do is dependent on their personality and their options.  The truth of the matter is…we are all "terminal"…from the moment we are born.  Period.  You ever seen anybody get out of this life….alive????  That is not meant to make light of your situation.  I had a lung met and brain met in 2010.  I am still here.  NED (with no evidence of disease) even, heading toward 4 years later.  It has not been easy.  It has not always been fun.  But, each day is more than I might have had, and certainly more than some other folks have been given.  I wish you my best…but more than that…I wish you hope.  Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

POW made some good points, but no one can know how that really feels until they've been there…..and even then, how each person responds and what they choose to do is dependent on their personality and their options.  The truth of the matter is…we are all "terminal"…from the moment we are born.  Period.  You ever seen anybody get out of this life….alive????  That is not meant to make light of your situation.  I had a lung met and brain met in 2010.  I am still here.  NED (with no evidence of disease) even, heading toward 4 years later.  It has not been easy.  It has not always been fun.  But, each day is more than I might have had, and certainly more than some other folks have been given.  I wish you my best…but more than that…I wish you hope.  Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Sometimes. I haven't had brain mets yet but I have 3 tumors in my skull which one has swelled to a lump I can feel about half the size of a walnut. So it may happen but I hope the medicine I started last wednesday fixes it.

I chose to fight mainly because I believe I can beat this. I look forward to the day I can say I'm ned and only have to go for a 6th month checkup. Is that dream guaranteed? No. Is this fight rough? Heck Yes. This is the toughest thing I've ever had to do. You just gotta dig deep and decide is your life worth fighting for. Once you decide to fight you gotta believe you can win. There are many folks here that have been through worse than me and have been ned for years. So why not me too? Why not you if you keep fighting?

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

Sometimes. I haven't had brain mets yet but I have 3 tumors in my skull which one has swelled to a lump I can feel about half the size of a walnut. So it may happen but I hope the medicine I started last wednesday fixes it.

I chose to fight mainly because I believe I can beat this. I look forward to the day I can say I'm ned and only have to go for a 6th month checkup. Is that dream guaranteed? No. Is this fight rough? Heck Yes. This is the toughest thing I've ever had to do. You just gotta dig deep and decide is your life worth fighting for. Once you decide to fight you gotta believe you can win. There are many folks here that have been through worse than me and have been ned for years. So why not me too? Why not you if you keep fighting?

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics