The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Strange

Forums General Melanoma Community Strange

Participant

I am about two and a half weeks post op from having a tumor removed from near my spine.  The tumor was located at T-5 and was about 2 inches.  It had grown into a nerve and some bone so the surgery involved cutting a nerve and grinding some bone.  All in all things went really good.  Recovery has been painful, but it is getting less by the day.  Tomorrow is a big day with stitch removal, radiation simulation, and starting Keytruda once again.

Now for the strange part.  I have been on Keytruda for a few months.  It worked well on my lung mets, but it wasn't stopping the T-5 tumor/  When the surgeon got to it, he said it was like "snot."  I had never heard of that before.  I asked several questions of my medical team about that and the best I can tell is that the Keytruda had softened the tumor.  He said it makes it easier to remove more when it is soft because they can use suction to suck it out. 

I am sharing this because my PET showed no real sign that the Keytruda was working on that tumor.  However, when they got in there during surgery, it appears the opposite is true.  I find encouragement and new hope here.  The Keytruda was doing more than they could detect with MRI and PET. 

Keep Fighting,

Brad

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Wow Brad, that is really wild and thanks for telling us about it!! Can I ask, what is "radiation simulation"? … have never heard of it. Hope your recovery continues to be good and your back feels better every day!!!

Barb

Bradley75
            Participant

Thanks Barb.

They always run a simulation before they start the actual radiation therapy.  Basically, it is a consultation where they determine the plan.  They put everything together so that when you go in for treatment all they have to do is line you up and go.

sister of patient
              Participant

OK, now I understand – the "tatoo"!! Thank you!! 

Barb

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

Curious. Many questions come to mind. I wonder if it was a different mutation, but still susceptible to what Keytruda targets, or if it was simply "too much" for Keytruda to handle, as it was piling on mutant cells faster than your body could handle it. Either way, it seems like renewed hope to be rid of that hunk of melameat, with Keytruda on the attack for the remainder of your mets! I had a similar experience with Yervoy (prior to FDA approval of Keytruda)… it seemed to have seriously slowed/stopped the growth of my smaller mets, but just couldn't handle the brain mets, nor the largest of my lung lesions. Surgery to pull that lung lobe out, was soon followed by Keytruda's FDA approval, and the remaining issues were quickly resolved. This is why I'm always curious about just how much tumor load these immuno drugs can handle, taking into consideration an individual's personal response as well. Strange news… but good news… thanks for sharing!

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics