The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stories of healing from Metastatic Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Stories of healing from Metastatic Melanoma

Participant

For years, my mom was hypervigilant about putting sunscreen on us kids. She always wore hats and sunscreen. And she got biannual skin checks at her dermatologist and insisted we do the same. Why? Well, she had Stage 1 melanoma on her arm at the age of 28. Thankfully, her dad was a doctor. He caught the melanoma and it was removed promptly. At the time there was no thought to sentinel node biopsy. I don't think she even knows how thick the primary lesion was. But she went on to protect herself as she knew how, to get married, to have a long productive career, and to have two kids.

Now, 40 years later, she has been sick for about three weeks with nausea, severe fatigue, and a mild cough. She had a scan last week which revealed several lesions on her liver, including one about 5 cm, and a small one on her lung. She has not yet had a brain scan and I am concerned she may also have brain lesions; she has had periodic episodes of dizziness in the last 1-2 years. 

We are awaiting the liver biopsy results, though her Primary Care Provider is confident the melanoma has returned. It seems likely given the nature of her symptoms and the lesions. (It seems most benign liver lesions are asymptomatic.)

So we are prepared for the worst and digesting as much information as we can about all the new treatments that have come along since 1970. Thankful there are so many options now that were previously unavailable.

In the meanwhile I know that healing is possible.   Do you have a story of healing from metastatic melanoma? Or know of a good place to read them? If so, I would be so grateful to hear from you. 🙂

Steph

PS: And, I should note that I am also looking for stories of emotional healing from melanoma, I know many people do not heal physically but still heal along their journey.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        eturner82
        Participant

Hi Steph

My name is Emily and my husband has Stage 4mel. Crazy how his cancer can pop up at any time and completly turn your lifeupside down. I wish I could share a story of healing with you but I cannot but I can be here for you. 

Emily

eturner82
          Participant

Hi Steph

My name is Emily and my husband has Stage 4mel. Crazy how his cancer can pop up at any time and completly turn your lifeupside down. I wish I could share a story of healing with you but I cannot but I can be here for you. 

Emily

eturner82
            Participant

Hi Steph

Emily

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics