The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stopped Nivo to start ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community Stopped Nivo to start ipi

Participant
      After I advanced from a 3C to stage IV, my oncologist had me stop taking Nivo (I had 10 of 12 infusions). He then started me on IPI (first dose last Friday). I asked him why he wasn’t giving the IPI in combination with the Nivo. He told me it was obvious the Nivo had not done it’s job and wanted to approach it from a different angle.

My question is this… will I get the benefits of a “combo” without actually having both meds administered at the same time? Does the Nivo that I’ve already had continue to work without having more infusions?

Thank you for any insight

Bruce

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillB
        Participant
          Hi Bruce, this just my opinion and not backed by any research, but I would say you would still get some benefit. Here’s my rational. During discussions with my oncologist at MSK I was informed thatf keytruda has been detected in patients systems up to 3 months after infusion ( that is medical info). I even gradually decreased my infusion frequency over time out to three months before I discontinued. So, I would think the opdivo will be in your system over most of the course of ipi infusions. Whether its of any help. I don’t know. Im confident Ed or Celeste has probably looked at this or has some relevant studies to help you out.
          Good Luck,
          Bill
          Edwin
          Participant
            After failure of immunotherapy with nivo alone, treatment with ipi alone or with ipi + nivo gave similar results in this study:
            http://www.ejcancer.com/article/S0959-8049(17)30064-3/fulltext
            sandyd77
            Participant
              Hello Bruce,

My husband was on Opdivo (nivo) for 10 infusions. Opdivo does remain in the sytem for 90 days. Good luck with the new treatment!

Sandy D

Bubbles
              Participant
                Here are some reports that looked at the conundrum on what to do after patients progressed on anti-PD-1 as a single agent.

First, back in the day, you couldn’t get nivo or pembro unless you failed ipi alone first. So, yeah I had a lot of screaming rants about that because of this:
                http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/sequential-nivo-then-ipi-orr-of-41-ipi.html

Then there’s this: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/05/asco-2015-nivo-and-pembro-after-failing.html

And this: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/02/response-to-ipi-or-ipinivo-after.html

Hope that helps. I wish you my best. celeste

Edwin
                Participant
                  If ipi immunotherapy helps you, you should consider trying nivo again. My experience suggests this. My stage 4 melanoma got much worse, while I received pembro immunotherapy. While receiving ipi + nivo immunotherapy, my bone cancer shrank. While continuing on nivo alone, those bone tumors disappeared. The oncologists at my cancer center conjecture that ipi kick started my immune system. Then nivo could work, where pembro had failed.

If nivo immunotherapy for stage 4 melanoma has failed, any of these treatments would be reasonable:
                  ipi
                  ipi + nivo
                  ipi + pembro

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics