The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Still N.E.D. – and an update on melanoma research

Forums General Melanoma Community Still N.E.D. – and an update on melanoma research

Participant

We went to Johns Hopkins this week for my husband's annual check-up as part of a follow-up study after he participated in a GVAX melanoma vaccine trial. The scan reports all say "no evidence of metastatic disease," so we are celebrating 2 1/2 years post-WLE! This post is an edited version of the one I put on my blog to keep our family and friends up to date.

Since there were no medical issues to discuss, we used some of our time with Dr. Lipson to get an update on melanoma research. He said the most prominent news is the ongoing developments in combination immune therapies, in which researchers are using antibodies that activate the immune system in various combinations. The research shows that the therapies are effective in a number of cancers, including kidney cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer and lymphoma as well as melanoma.

He wasn’t talking about TIL therapy, which I’m pretty sure is likely to be very expensive if they are able to bring it to market – so expensive that sometimes I think of it as the monster that could eat all our money someday. Some researchers are working with therapies that activate the immune system without taking cells out of the body. We can hope that someday this will lead to effective therapies that can be commercialized without the prospect of either being available only to very wealthy patients or bankrupting the rest of us.

Another positive thing about the immune therapy research is that some of the studies include patients with Stage 3 disease. Generally, reseasrchers don't want to study therapies in patients with completely resected melanomas because without a tumor to shrink, it’s hard to tell whether it’s working. As Dr. Lipson said, “in people who don’t have any evidence of disease, you wait … and you wait … and at some point you have to say, ‘Well, this did it.’ [Or not.] Even if you have two groups of people with a thousand patients in each group and you wait five years, it’s a long time for a trial.”

Five years, trial or no, is a long time to wait. And as Dr. Lipson explained, the risk tapers off during that time. It’s not as though you are fresh out of surgery, and you know that the risk of recurrence is highest in the first five years, and then you hit the five-year mark and the risk gone. So what does it mean to be at the half-way point – two and a half years with no evidence of disease? Will it be different in June, with the next set of scans, at the three-year mark?

I think not. Or if so, only to the extent that we’ve learned even better how to live with the uncertainty of being a melanoma survivor. Life goes on, and as long as it does we’ll continue to make the most of each day.

It's a lesson I learned right here on the MPIP. Thanks so much to all of you who have helped!

Hazel

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jbronicki
        Participant

Hazel that is absolutely wonderful news!  I follow your story as my husband has basically the same set of circumstances as your husband.  I also appreciate all that you do in terms of compiling and disseminating information regarding the current state of research/treatment options for melanoma.  So glad to hear your husband got another wonderful NED report.  Best wishes, jackie

jbronicki
          Participant

Hazel that is absolutely wonderful news!  I follow your story as my husband has basically the same set of circumstances as your husband.  I also appreciate all that you do in terms of compiling and disseminating information regarding the current state of research/treatment options for melanoma.  So glad to hear your husband got another wonderful NED report.  Best wishes, jackie

jbronicki
            Participant

DZnDef
              Participant

Hazel, I am always so happy to see yet another NED post!  Congratulations!  And yes, by all means take each precious day as the wonderful gift that it is each day that it arrives!  I plan to live that way for however many days I have left, whether its 10 or 10 million!

Cheers!

DZnDef
                Participant

Hazel, I am always so happy to see yet another NED post!  Congratulations!  And yes, by all means take each precious day as the wonderful gift that it is each day that it arrives!  I plan to live that way for however many days I have left, whether its 10 or 10 million!

Cheers!

DZnDef
                  Participant

Cheers!

_Paul_
                    Participant

Hi Hazel,

Nice to hear from you and what awesome news that your husband continues to be NED! Is Susan Sartorius still there? She and Dr. Lipson are both such awesome people!

– Paul.

hbecker
                        Participant

Paul, it's great to hear from you! Yes, Susan is still working at Hopkins – we saw her briefly on Tuesday. I agree with your assessment about both of our caretakers there.

Jackie and Maggie, thanks for your good wishes. Good to hear from you both, and wishing good health and happiness to you and yours.

hbecker
                          Participant

Paul, it's great to hear from you! Yes, Susan is still working at Hopkins – we saw her briefly on Tuesday. I agree with your assessment about both of our caretakers there.

Jackie and Maggie, thanks for your good wishes. Good to hear from you both, and wishing good health and happiness to you and yours.

hbecker
                            Participant

_Paul_
                            Participant

Hi Hazel,

Nice to hear from you and what awesome news that your husband continues to be NED! Is Susan Sartorius still there? She and Dr. Lipson are both such awesome people!

– Paul.

_Paul_
                              Participant

Hi Hazel,

– Paul.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics