The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Still More Waiting

Forums General Melanoma Community Still More Waiting

Participant
      So UVA was alright, if the actual talk with the doctor wasn’t so disappointing. Of course he started me off with news I already know, my tumor is too small for a trial, and my scan showed a small lymph node under my right arm. Even though he thinks it’s nothing, he wants to be positive and have me in again for a CT scan later this month. Then, he wants to take the rest of my lymph nodes out under my left arm, which I was suspecting. Still don’t want any more surgery! After that we can start treatment.

So UVA was alright, if the actual talk with the doctor wasn’t so disappointing. Of course he started me off with news I already know, my tumor is too small for a trial, and my scan showed a small lymph node under my right arm. Even though he thinks it’s nothing, he wants to be positive and have me in again for a CT scan later this month. Then, he wants to take the rest of my lymph nodes out under my left arm, which I was suspecting. Still don’t want any more surgery! After that we can start treatment. Considering I’ve been getting the every 3 week visit, it’ll probably take til spring to get me started on interferon. At first I was so frustrated, but now I’m just so tired of waiting. And apparently he had an emergency or something because after he told me to get dressed from the physical glance over, he never came back! He had some nurse come in and tell us that we should come back in 3 weeks for the scan. That’s what made me so mad. Anyway, right now I get to wait. I am not a patient lady.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Have they done an FNA?   (fine needle aspiration? – not 100% but better than waiting).  

I know surgeries aren't good but with low tumor burden it can work! It has taken me 5 years of stage IV that way.  If you do have a tumor interfuron isn't a choice!  

Sounds like you need another opinion or to let them know your not happy.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Have they done an FNA?   (fine needle aspiration? – not 100% but better than waiting).  

I know surgeries aren't good but with low tumor burden it can work! It has taken me 5 years of stage IV that way.  If you do have a tumor interfuron isn't a choice!  

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

Phil S
              Participant
                Waiting under the circumstances you are describing would be unacceptable to me. If you have a tumor or lymph node they are seeing on a cat scan, demand a biopsy! I wouldn’t just hang out another 3 weeks! Interferon is suppose to be started as close to initial diagnosis of stage 3 as possible, I believe within the first 8 weeks. Sometimes, testing does delay that start, but you shouldn’t be okay with pace of you doctor’s office. Unfortunately, you will quickly learn that on top of being a cancer patient you have to be your own medical advocate. So get the facts and make a plan! That doctor works for you! Good luck, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                  Lilylove414
                  Participant
                    Thank you ladies for being so encouraging! I believe God will bring me through this, but it’s so draining! I’m not sure what a fine needle aspiration does exactly. Is it just like draining some lymph nodes? I am definitely seeing why I need to be my own advocate now! It’s so easy to assume the doctors are always on top of things.

Um, maybe he feels it can wait because the “tumor” is so small. I just want this to move along! How long did y’all have to wait to start treatment? Even my friend Matt (who might as well be my boyfriend) is getting mad about it. He’s been awesome through all of this.

I’m so blessed to have people like y’all who know what to do in these situations. Always feel free to tell me more about your fights, too!

God bless,
                    Jaimy

Lilylove414
                    Participant
                      Thank you ladies for being so encouraging! I believe God will bring me through this, but it’s so draining! I’m not sure what a fine needle aspiration does exactly. Is it just like draining some lymph nodes? I am definitely seeing why I need to be my own advocate now! It’s so easy to assume the doctors are always on top of things.

Um, maybe he feels it can wait because the “tumor” is so small. I just want this to move along! How long did y’all have to wait to start treatment? Even my friend Matt (who might as well be my boyfriend) is getting mad about it. He’s been awesome through all of this.

I’m so blessed to have people like y’all who know what to do in these situations. Always feel free to tell me more about your fights, too!

God bless,
                      Jaimy

lhaley
                      Participant

Jaimy,

If there is a tumor it will most likely be removed, there might then just be watch and wait afterwards. No sense to go into other options if you don't really know at this point. 

Depending on the placement and deepness to do a fna is the following.  The first try is with an ultrasound and either the surgeon (you are awake) they insert a fine needle and aspire some of the cells. They will take several attempts to get different areas of even though small tumor.  I've had ones that could not be seen with an ultrasound and they did it while I was in a ct scan while they did it (behind the clavicle).   One time the surgeon could see the lump and he did it without any machinary as guiding.   That particular time was fatty tissue, the onc still did not trust it and had it removed anyway, ended up really being just fatty tissue. 

I know that you believe that God will bring you through but medical science is also needed. If you have an oncologist that just seems to put you off and if there is a problem then you have less chance to make important decisions.   It's time to deal with this when it's small.

Linda

dealing with mel since 79 (primary), 06 became stage IV, Oct 11 – brain met and dealing with edema

Lilylove414
                        Participant
                          My faith in God has in no way discouraged me from pursuing the right medicine. I called my local oncologist and she referred me to a different cancer center to see if I can start treatment sooner. My appointment is Friday.

As for the tumor, we’ll just have to see what they say.

CLPrice31
                          Participant

I am glad you went back to Lewis Gale. I did not like the options that UVA had either. Just wasn't the place I felt like I needed to be. Let me know if I can help at all. If he thinks there is even a chance of there being a tumor, you need to find out. Why can't you have your scans at LG and have the results faxed to UVA?

Don't let a careless doctor stop you from getting the best possible care.

Thinking of you!

Lilylove414
                            Participant
                              Actually that’s what I did originally. But now I’m with Dr. Awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚
                              Lilylove414
                              Participant
                                Lilylove414
                                Participant
                                  CLPrice31
                                  Participant

I am glad you went back to Lewis Gale. I did not like the options that UVA had either. Just wasn't the place I felt like I needed to be. Let me know if I can help at all. If he thinks there is even a chance of there being a tumor, you need to find out. Why can't you have your scans at LG and have the results faxed to UVA?

Thinking of you!

CLPrice31
                                    Participant

Thinking of you!

Lilylove414
                                      Participant
                                        My faith in God has in no way discouraged me from pursuing the right medicine. I called my local oncologist and she referred me to a different cancer center to see if I can start treatment sooner. My appointment is Friday.

Lilylove414
                                        Participant

lhaley
                                          Participant

Jaimy,

If there is a tumor it will most likely be removed, there might then just be watch and wait afterwards. No sense to go into other options if you don't really know at this point. 

Depending on the placement and deepness to do a fna is the following.  The first try is with an ultrasound and either the surgeon (you are awake) they insert a fine needle and aspire some of the cells. They will take several attempts to get different areas of even though small tumor.  I've had ones that could not be seen with an ultrasound and they did it while I was in a ct scan while they did it (behind the clavicle).   One time the surgeon could see the lump and he did it without any machinary as guiding.   That particular time was fatty tissue, the onc still did not trust it and had it removed anyway, ended up really being just fatty tissue. 

I know that you believe that God will bring you through but medical science is also needed. If you have an oncologist that just seems to put you off and if there is a problem then you have less chance to make important decisions.   It's time to deal with this when it's small.

Linda

dealing with mel since 79 (primary), 06 became stage IV, Oct 11 – brain met and dealing with edema

lhaley
                                            Participant

Jaimy,

Linda

Lilylove414
                                              Participant

God bless,
                                                Jaimy

Phil S
                                              Participant
                                                Waiting under the circumstances you are describing would be unacceptable to me. If you have a tumor or lymph node they are seeing on a cat scan, demand a biopsy! I wouldn’t just hang out another 3 weeks! Interferon is suppose to be started as close to initial diagnosis of stage 3 as possible, I believe within the first 8 weeks. Sometimes, testing does delay that start, but you shouldn’t be okay with pace of you doctor’s office. Unfortunately, you will quickly learn that on top of being a cancer patient you have to be your own medical advocate. So get the facts and make a plan! That doctor works for you! Good luck, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                Phil S
                                                Participant
                                              Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics