The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stereotactic Radiation Surgery and Brain Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Stereotactic Radiation Surgery and Brain Mets

Participant

My husband has an appointment with radiation oncologist re: 3 new brain mets, all < 1 cm. He has already had Stereotactic Radiation Surgery on 8 previous brain mets on two separate occasions. 

Wondering how many times this procedure can be performed. What has your experience been?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

It is my understanding if they are different brain mets then they can do the radiation because it is a different spot. It is when it is the same met or whole brain radiation that they usually only do once.

My radiation to my head was one spot that was pressing on my brain. Also received radiation to several spots in my spine. However one spot they did radiate a second time that has kept me from being paralyzed since March and the last they told me the pd1 is shrinking that spot. So it is possible for other spots to get a second time.

Artie

SarahW
            Participant

Thanks for your input!

SarahW
              Participant

Thanks for your input!

SarahW
                Participant

Thanks for your input!

arthurjedi007
                Participant

It is my understanding if they are different brain mets then they can do the radiation because it is a different spot. It is when it is the same met or whole brain radiation that they usually only do once.

My radiation to my head was one spot that was pressing on my brain. Also received radiation to several spots in my spine. However one spot they did radiate a second time that has kept me from being paralyzed since March and the last they told me the pd1 is shrinking that spot. So it is possible for other spots to get a second time.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Carole K
                    Participant

HI Sarah,

I am so sorry for all you are going through.  Sara, I had one brain met and was going to do Gamma Knife , it burst and bled so I had a craniotomy,  My Brain Met Hero is John Gallagher,  Go to his profile here and look for JAG.  I think you will find him inspirational and an amazing young man  John has been through more than anyone I know.  Please reach out to him.  He is amazing and is back at work full time for several years, now.  

Please tell him I told you to contact him.  

Big hugs and if I can be of any help let me know.  Stay positive.

Love and Light

Carole K

Stage 4 NED 13 YRS 9 MONTHS,

AFTER BRAIN AND LUNG METS

SarahW
                        Participant

Thank you Carole K. I will do it!

SarahW
                          Participant

SarahW
                            Participant

Carole K
                            Participant

HI Sarah,

I am so sorry for all you are going through.  Sara, I had one brain met and was going to do Gamma Knife , it burst and bled so I had a craniotomy,  My Brain Met Hero is John Gallagher,  Go to his profile here and look for JAG.  I think you will find him inspirational and an amazing young man  John has been through more than anyone I know.  Please reach out to him.  He is amazing and is back at work full time for several years, now.  

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                              Participant

HI Sarah,

Love and Light

Carole K

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics