The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stereotactic Radiation for unresectable Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Stereotactic Radiation for unresectable Melanoma

Participant

Hello All,

I recently had a surgery for metastatic tumor near L4-L5 spine.  Because of close proximity to spinal nerve root, doctors ended up doing a partial ressection.  They are now suggesting that I do 3 doses of high dose Stereotactic Radiation to rid body of remaining cells at that site.  Recent PET showed no new sites of disease. There is still some risk of nerve damage.  I have never done radiation and am wondering if anyone has experience with this type of treatment? outcomes? side effects?  Thank You,  Ann 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Yes I had Stereostatic Radiation to my T10 vertebrae last March. For me it was incredibly easy but everyone is different. Within about 10 minutes of the first zap session I could feel the tumor that almost paralyzed me started shrinking. It was 30 gray in 5 fractions with each fraction being about 20 minutes or less. Side affects were really none. They did use a CT scanner to help them more precisely target where they needed to. The scanner was part of their machines in the radiation room and I wouldn't have even known it if the technician hadn't told me. I would make sure they use such a scanner. I had pallative radiation to my spine last year of 30 gray in 10 fractions and the side affects were minor but I had eatting problems where I couldn't eat much at a time and some chills, They didn't use the scanner then and I think it really makes a difference especially when dealing with the spine.

Artie

Annalive
            Participant

Thanks for responding Artie. I am new to this forum and just figured this out.  Intersting update… post op MRI showed no sign of tumor.  The docs still want to do 3 doses of radiation… not sure of gray/fraction plan.  They told me it would be about an hour per session.  Question is do I get the radiation for an abhorant cells which are not showing up?  or wait?  Your comments make it sound like it's ,"OK to go." … and you had Rad directly to the spine!  You mentioned difficulty eating and chills.  Was that acute or chronic?  The facility does have the CT guided imagery.  Just wondering… are you doing another protocols outside of the standard of care?  diet, supps, vits, etc…  I'm doing so much it;s hard to keep track.  Again, I appreciate your comments as it puts me at ease.  I wish you the Best on your journey.  Aloha, Ann

RJoeyB
              Participant

Hi Ann, just following up to the great information Artie shared — and he can tell you plenty about spine metastases.  Remember with cancer surgery, the goal is to remove the tumor plus a nice-sized margin around the tumor to make sure every single cell is removed.  Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, a large margin isn't always possible.  This is especially true for tumors and surgeries involving the central nervous system (CNS), including the brain and spine, where a larger margin runs the risk of damaging not only healthy but very important tissues — in the case of the brain it can affect cognitive function or motor control, in the spine, it can mean possible paralysis.  So even when a surgeon believes they were able to completely excise a tumor, they often work with a radiation oncologist following surgery to try to achieve a small additional margin around the surgical site using radiation.  I had a brain metastasis in early 2013.  Surgery went great and the neurosurgeon was confident that he "got it all".  However, after surgery he also had me see my radiation oncologist about additional radiation to the "tumor bed" or small cavity that was left after the tumor was removed, so about a month after surgery, I had a single round of radiation to the site.

Best, Joe

Annalive
                Participant

Thanks Joe,  It is so helpful to communicate with fellow cancer thrivers!

From all I've read and heard it looks like going ahead with treatment is a good

idea.  I got a postop MRI and it had no signs of tumor. I am going with the clear

margin idea… those little microscopics likely won't show up.  Wishing you the beat on your journey… 10 years and counting?  Awesome!  Aloha, Ann

Annalive
                  Participant

idea.  I got a postop MRI and it had no signs of tumor. I am going with the clear

margin idea… those little microscopics likely won't show up.  Wishing you the beat on your journey… 10 years and counting?  Awesome!  Aloha, Ann

Annalive
                    Participant

RJoeyB
                      Participant

Hi Ann, just following up to the great information Artie shared — and he can tell you plenty about spine metastases.  Remember with cancer surgery, the goal is to remove the tumor plus a nice-sized margin around the tumor to make sure every single cell is removed.  Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, a large margin isn't always possible.  This is especially true for tumors and surgeries involving the central nervous system (CNS), including the brain and spine, where a larger margin runs the risk of damaging not only healthy but very important tissues — in the case of the brain it can affect cognitive function or motor control, in the spine, it can mean possible paralysis.  So even when a surgeon believes they were able to completely excise a tumor, they often work with a radiation oncologist following surgery to try to achieve a small additional margin around the surgical site using radiation.  I had a brain metastasis in early 2013.  Surgery went great and the neurosurgeon was confident that he "got it all".  However, after surgery he also had me see my radiation oncologist about additional radiation to the "tumor bed" or small cavity that was left after the tumor was removed, so about a month after surgery, I had a single round of radiation to the site.

Best, Joe

RJoeyB
                        Participant

Best, Joe

Annalive
                          Participant

Thanks for responding Artie. I am new to this forum and just figured this out.  Intersting update… post op MRI showed no sign of tumor.  The docs still want to do 3 doses of radiation… not sure of gray/fraction plan.  They told me it would be about an hour per session.  Question is do I get the radiation for an abhorant cells which are not showing up?  or wait?  Your comments make it sound like it's ,"OK to go." … and you had Rad directly to the spine!  You mentioned difficulty eating and chills.  Was that acute or chronic?  The facility does have the CT guided imagery.  Just wondering… are you doing another protocols outside of the standard of care?  diet, supps, vits, etc…  I'm doing so much it;s hard to keep track.  Again, I appreciate your comments as it puts me at ease.  I wish you the Best on your journey.  Aloha, Ann

Annalive
                            Participant

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Yes I had Stereostatic Radiation to my T10 vertebrae last March. For me it was incredibly easy but everyone is different. Within about 10 minutes of the first zap session I could feel the tumor that almost paralyzed me started shrinking. It was 30 gray in 5 fractions with each fraction being about 20 minutes or less. Side affects were really none. They did use a CT scanner to help them more precisely target where they needed to. The scanner was part of their machines in the radiation room and I wouldn't have even known it if the technician hadn't told me. I would make sure they use such a scanner. I had pallative radiation to my spine last year of 30 gray in 10 fractions and the side affects were minor but I had eatting problems where I couldn't eat much at a time and some chills, They didn't use the scanner then and I think it really makes a difference especially when dealing with the spine.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

kalisama
                                Participant

Hi Ann,

I'm also pretty new to this forum and have found incredible support and wisdom here, so welcome. 

I have had several of these radiation treatments to my brain and to my back – not spinal however. I'll address my experience with 'side effects'. The treatment to my back resulted in removal of the tumor, and my only effects were fatigue and a radiation burn that developed which was treated with a topical formula. I have a scar. A small price to pay!

My first brain treatments I was fresh out of brain surgery, so I do not remember much to report.

My most recent brain treatments were only a few weeks ago. 3 treatments on each of 2 tumors. I do not know the grey counts, etc, but due to other patients like Artie posting this info I will definitely be asking my radiologist about this! These treatments resulted in extreme fatigue, and complete hair loss to the treated areas. I'll be going in for my follow up MRI next week. I still have several mets in my brain, too small to treat and hoping they remain this way or get even smaller.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Bless,
                                  kali

kalisama
                                  Participant

Hi Ann,

I'm also pretty new to this forum and have found incredible support and wisdom here, so welcome. 

I have had several of these radiation treatments to my brain and to my back – not spinal however. I'll address my experience with 'side effects'. The treatment to my back resulted in removal of the tumor, and my only effects were fatigue and a radiation burn that developed which was treated with a topical formula. I have a scar. A small price to pay!

My first brain treatments I was fresh out of brain surgery, so I do not remember much to report.

My most recent brain treatments were only a few weeks ago. 3 treatments on each of 2 tumors. I do not know the grey counts, etc, but due to other patients like Artie posting this info I will definitely be asking my radiologist about this! These treatments resulted in extreme fatigue, and complete hair loss to the treated areas. I'll be going in for my follow up MRI next week. I still have several mets in my brain, too small to treat and hoping they remain this way or get even smaller.

Bless,
                                    kali

kalisama
                                    Participant

Hi Ann,

Bless,
                                      kali

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics