The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stereotactic Brain Radiation scheduled for July 3

Forums General Melanoma Community Stereotactic Brain Radiation scheduled for July 3

Participant

Hi all,

My husband's SRS for 3 brain mets in the frontal lobe(the largest is 2.6mm-however there were none 8 weeks earlier) has been scheduled for July 3 @ Moffitt. I gave him a list of questions to ask the Radiation Oncologist. He wouldn't let me come to the appointment. I got some answers, but not quite as much information as I would have liked. The radiation oncologist advised him that I will need to drive him, which of course I was planning to do

Hi all,

My husband's SRS for 3 brain mets in the frontal lobe(the largest is 2.6mm-however there were none 8 weeks earlier) has been scheduled for July 3 @ Moffitt. I gave him a list of questions to ask the Radiation Oncologist. He wouldn't let me come to the appointment. I got some answers, but not quite as much information as I would have liked. The radiation oncologist advised him that I will need to drive him, which of course I was planning to do

To the question of whether he would need to be placed on anti-seizure medication and/or steroids, the answer was "It depends on how he does post-procedure."  So I guess I should be prepared for anything?

Thank you to those who replied to my earlier post. Any other thoughts?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Brendan
        Participant
          Hi,

I had my first SRS last July. The procedure itself was not a big deal at all. The next day I did have a seizure. I felt fiine the following morning and I was actually driving my car when I noticed something was ‘off’. Please ask specific questions about your husband’s activities and pay attention to his speech, balance, etc. I have been on a variety of doses of steroids and kept a since the seizure.

Good luck to you both.
          Brendan

Brendan
            Participant
              I have been told by several types of doctors that seizures are a rare side effect of SRS, but I was one of the lucky ones. A neurologist explained it to me sort of like this-imagine the home team scores a touchdown and the whole stadium stands up to cheer at the same time. With a seizure, all the electric (?) current in your brain move in the same direction at the same time and override the rest of your body. I awoke stabilized in an ambulance. I have had smaller seizures that I was able to recognize (imagine the crowd doing the wave instead of the whole crowd standing to celebrate the touchdown). My met was located in a place that happened to process sounds, music, etc., and I recognized it. When i had a mini-seizure last Wednesday i went to the er and that led to crani #2.

The first seizure I had (the day after SRS last july) I just knew something was wrong. My head was fuzzy, I had a hollow, adrenaline-type feeling in my body…

Brendan
              Participant
                I have been told by several types of doctors that seizures are a rare side effect of SRS, but I was one of the lucky ones. A neurologist explained it to me sort of like this-imagine the home team scores a touchdown and the whole stadium stands up to cheer at the same time. With a seizure, all the electric (?) current in your brain move in the same direction at the same time and override the rest of your body. I awoke stabilized in an ambulance. I have had smaller seizures that I was able to recognize (imagine the crowd doing the wave instead of the whole crowd standing to celebrate the touchdown). My met was located in a place that happened to process sounds, music, etc., and I recognized it. When i had a mini-seizure last Wednesday i went to the er and that led to crani #2.

The first seizure I had (the day after SRS last july) I just knew something was wrong. My head was fuzzy, I had a hollow, adrenaline-type feeling in my body…

Brendan
                Participant

Brendan
                Participant
                  Hi,

I had my first SRS last July. The procedure itself was not a big deal at all. The next day I did have a seizure. I felt fiine the following morning and I was actually driving my car when I noticed something was ‘off’. Please ask specific questions about your husband’s activities and pay attention to his speech, balance, etc. I have been on a variety of doses of steroids and kept a since the seizure.

Good luck to you both.
                  Brendan

Brendan
                  Participant
                    Hi,

Good luck to you both.
                    Brendan

DeniseK
                    Participant

What exactly is a seizure and how do you know your having one?  My doctors have NEVER mentioned this to me, they've asked me if I've had one but I say I don't know and that's that.  

DeniseK
                      Participant

What exactly is a seizure and how do you know your having one?  My doctors have NEVER mentioned this to me, they've asked me if I've had one but I say I don't know and that's that.  

DeniseK
                        Participant

SarahW
                          Participant

Thank you Brendan,

Since it is planned on a outpatient basis-seizures the next day or later that evening were exactly what I was concerned about, particularly since he will be wanting to drive soon after. I am a pediatric registered nurse so I have had patients with a variety of presentations of seizure. I will be sure to grill them and pack for overnight just in case. 

SarahW
                            Participant

Thank you Brendan,

Since it is planned on a outpatient basis-seizures the next day or later that evening were exactly what I was concerned about, particularly since he will be wanting to drive soon after. I am a pediatric registered nurse so I have had patients with a variety of presentations of seizure. I will be sure to grill them and pack for overnight just in case. 

SarahW
                              Participant

Thank you Brendan,

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics