The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

starting radiation treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community starting radiation treatment

Participant

Hello,

Hello,

Well my husband healed from his lymphnode removal surgery. However, after the drain tube was removed, he got an infection.  That delayed things another week.  Moffit wanted to do radiation therapy in sequence; first the lung cancer, then the melanoma site.  We met with a couple of radiation oncs and then met with Dr Anderson, (Robert Boissoneault Oncology, Inc).  He has treated some of our friends here in Ocala and they all gave high marks for him.  He is going to do radiation on the lung, and melanoma site at the same time.  Both are on the right side.  He also ordered a new PETscan and we met to go over it with him on Friday.  Turns out as we expected the area around the surgery showed hot, and the lung cancer nodule has grown.  However, there is a new "hot" site in the upper shoulder, base of his neck.  They are calling it "suspicious".  Decided not to do any surgery or biopsy on it, but to include it in the radiation therapy.  He has been fitted for the treatement and will start this THursday.  He will go twice a day for 5 and a half weeks.  I understand this is a more successful approach.  I am wondering is any one else has had the dual radiation treatement for melanoma and what they have found.   

Thanks, Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        flvermonter
        Participant
          Just checking to see if anyone else has had radiation therapy and what there outcome was. We plan to start Yervoy after treatment. Hope I am asking the question in the right way. I am looking for a comfort level that the radiation will work. Such a confidence shaker with this beast.
          flvermonter
          Participant
            Just checking to see if anyone else has had radiation therapy and what there outcome was. We plan to start Yervoy after treatment. Hope I am asking the question in the right way. I am looking for a comfort level that the radiation will work. Such a confidence shaker with this beast.
            flvermonter
            Participant
              Janner
              Participant

Radiation has limited effect with melanoma and it is mostly used to clear up localized areas of disease.  Typically around surgical sites.  Radiation for lung cancer probably has a higher success rate.  Since he is already doing radiation for the lung cancer, it probably makes sense to give it a shot with the melanoma, too.  Radiation alone probably isn't going to be a cure if he has disease elsewhere and it makes sense to start Yervoy for a truly systemic approach.  Typically the side effects are skin burns and fatigue and hopefully those will be managable for your husband.

Best wishes,

Janner

flvermonter
                Participant

Thanks Janner. I think he will manage the fatigue ok.  Just hoping no new hot spots during the process.  I just question myself and our decisions so much and it does help hearing from other people who have walked down the road before.

Regards, Mary

NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Mary,
                    Been a little under the weather but following your posts. Sounds like you have a good plan. Some feel that radiation + Ipi pack a double whammy. Sure hope that’s the case for your husband.
                    All the best,
                    Karen
                    Janner
                    Participant

Radiation has limited effect with melanoma and it is mostly used to clear up localized areas of disease.  Typically around surgical sites.  Radiation for lung cancer probably has a higher success rate.  Since he is already doing radiation for the lung cancer, it probably makes sense to give it a shot with the melanoma, too.  Radiation alone probably isn't going to be a cure if he has disease elsewhere and it makes sense to start Yervoy for a truly systemic approach.  Typically the side effects are skin burns and fatigue and hopefully those will be managable for your husband.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

flvermonter
                        Participant

Thanks Janner. I think he will manage the fatigue ok.  Just hoping no new hot spots during the process.  I just question myself and our decisions so much and it does help hearing from other people who have walked down the road before.

Regards, Mary

flvermonter
                          Participant

Regards, Mary

NYKaren
                            Participant
                              Mary,
                              Been a little under the weather but following your posts. Sounds like you have a good plan. Some feel that radiation + Ipi pack a double whammy. Sure hope that’s the case for your husband.
                              All the best,
                              Karen
                              NYKaren
                              Participant
                                Mary,
                                All the best,
                                Karen
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics