The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Starting ipi/nivo combo on Monday, have had ipi before

Forums General Melanoma Community Starting ipi/nivo combo on Monday, have had ipi before

Participant

I received insurance approval yesterday for the ipi/nivo combo, even though I've had prior ipi.  I really had no side effects with the ipi before, but I know this time things may be different. I wanted to let folks know options are out there.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        rosa1
        Participant

How did you get insurance approval for this combo when it's not FDA approved yet? I thought you could get it only thru a trial? Please let us know.

Bennickliz
            Participant

I was initially denied the nivo (which my doc said seems to be standard operating procedure for the insurance companies) and he did a peer to peer review with them.  What was said I don't know.  I'm just glad I have a doctor who fights for me and the decisions we have made together.

Bennickliz
              Participant

I was initially denied the nivo (which my doc said seems to be standard operating procedure for the insurance companies) and he did a peer to peer review with them.  What was said I don't know.  I'm just glad I have a doctor who fights for me and the decisions we have made together.

Bennickliz
                Participant

LaurenE
                  Participant

The combination is available through expanded access until it's officially FDA-approved (meaning the FDA is allowing people to get the treatment out of compassion since it's effective and their approval process takes forever!). My dad just started and required insurance approval for the ipi, but since the 'combination' is on trial, the nivolumab is being provided at no-cost to him by the study and will be for the duration of the treatment.

LaurenE
                    Participant

The combination is available through expanded access until it's officially FDA-approved (meaning the FDA is allowing people to get the treatment out of compassion since it's effective and their approval process takes forever!). My dad just started and required insurance approval for the ipi, but since the 'combination' is on trial, the nivolumab is being provided at no-cost to him by the study and will be for the duration of the treatment.

LaurenE
                      Participant

rosa1
                      Participant

How did you get insurance approval for this combo when it's not FDA approved yet? I thought you could get it only thru a trial? Please let us know.

rosa1
                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

When you had ipi before were you a responder? I was a non responder but wondered if trying this as a combo would be worth it.

Artie

Bennickliz
                              Participant

I would say I was a non responder at the time.  My tumors would grow a few mm at each scan, with nothing new popping up.  The last 2 months I have 2 new tumors growing rapidly.  Did I benefit from the ipi or was I a slow grower?  I'm thinking now I probably did get some benefit.  It's hard to say.

Bennickliz
                                Participant

I would say I was a non responder at the time.  My tumors would grow a few mm at each scan, with nothing new popping up.  The last 2 months I have 2 new tumors growing rapidly.  Did I benefit from the ipi or was I a slow grower?  I'm thinking now I probably did get some benefit.  It's hard to say.

Bennickliz
                                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

When you had ipi before were you a responder? I was a non responder but wondered if trying this as a combo would be worth it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Artie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics