The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

starting IPI, any advice?

Forums General Melanoma Community starting IPI, any advice?

Participant

Hi to everybody

Finally i have progression with Braf/Mek and we have decided to go through IPI.

Do i need washout period?

Some changes in diet?

Well, all advices are welcome….

Jualonso

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        RJoeyB
        Participant

The common side effects are well-documented:  loose stools, diarrhea, rash, fatigue, sensitivity to sun, and others.   Be sure to report anything out of the ordinary to your doctor at the very first sign.  Some people try to tough it out, perhaps thinking that if they push through, they'll be more likely to get through all four doses.  Instead, (1) that can be dangerous and lead to more long-term problems, and (2) if they catch and treat things early, they're more likely to be able to manage the side effects so that all four doses can be given. Certainly not a guarantee, but the best approach is to be very open with your doctors about anything that comes up.

Hope that helps, Joe

RJoeyB
          Participant

The common side effects are well-documented:  loose stools, diarrhea, rash, fatigue, sensitivity to sun, and others.   Be sure to report anything out of the ordinary to your doctor at the very first sign.  Some people try to tough it out, perhaps thinking that if they push through, they'll be more likely to get through all four doses.  Instead, (1) that can be dangerous and lead to more long-term problems, and (2) if they catch and treat things early, they're more likely to be able to manage the side effects so that all four doses can be given. Certainly not a guarantee, but the best approach is to be very open with your doctors about anything that comes up.

Hope that helps, Joe

RJoeyB
            Participant

Hope that helps, Joe

arthurjedi007
              Participant

When I came off zelboraf to start IPI they had me do a 9 day washout period. When I came off Braf/Mek to start PD1 they had me do a 7 day washout period.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

When I came off zelboraf to start IPI they had me do a 9 day washout period. When I came off Braf/Mek to start PD1 they had me do a 7 day washout period.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

BrianP
                    Participant

Jualonso,

Along with the side effects Joe mentioned one that is sometimes overlooked is hypohysitis (swelling of the pituitary gland).  A few of us on here have had that one.  Mine manifested itself with a slight sinus like headache that eventually spread to my whole head and gradually got more intense.  Another member on here had his start out pretty intense from the beginning.  Fairly easy to manage with prednisone but you want to catch it early to avoid damage to the pituitary gland.  Sorry to hear about your progression.  I hope you have little side effects and great results with Ipi.  Seems like there's been several good results with Ipi on here lately so hopefully you can keep that trend going.

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

Jualonso,

Along with the side effects Joe mentioned one that is sometimes overlooked is hypohysitis (swelling of the pituitary gland).  A few of us on here have had that one.  Mine manifested itself with a slight sinus like headache that eventually spread to my whole head and gradually got more intense.  Another member on here had his start out pretty intense from the beginning.  Fairly easy to manage with prednisone but you want to catch it early to avoid damage to the pituitary gland.  Sorry to hear about your progression.  I hope you have little side effects and great results with Ipi.  Seems like there's been several good results with Ipi on here lately so hopefully you can keep that trend going.

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Jualonso,

Brian

Ginger8888
                          Participant

The only side effect i had was a little fatigue every now and then, it's working for me, i finished it Aug 13th and it got rid of spots in my lungs and the one in my neck shrunk to half it's size..Good luck

Ginger8888
                            Participant

The only side effect i had was a little fatigue every now and then, it's working for me, i finished it Aug 13th and it got rid of spots in my lungs and the one in my neck shrunk to half it's size..Good luck

Marianne quinn
                                Participant

I have written quite a few posts on how my husband managed his side effects from 10 mg ipi given in clinical trial. Perhaps they can help you if you want to check them out. 

Marianne quinn
                                  Participant

I have written quite a few posts on how my husband managed his side effects from 10 mg ipi given in clinical trial. Perhaps they can help you if you want to check them out. 

Marianne quinn
                                    Participant

Ginger8888
                                    Participant

Cooper
                                      Participant

I saw washout should be short here on melanomaforum.org:  http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35436

Cooper
                                        Participant

I saw washout should be short here on melanomaforum.org:  http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35436

Cooper
                                          Participant

jualonso
                                            Participant

Thanks to all of you for your support and kind replies.

Im taking some cood suplements like tumeric pills,  vitamins d and others as well.

Have you  een taking anything during your IPI period?

Thanks in advance

Jualonso

jualonso
                                              Participant

Im taking some cood suplements like tumeric pills,  vitamins d and others as well.

Thanks in advance

Jualonso

Ginger8888
                                                  Participant

I took and still take a mulit vit and vit D3 also drank V-8 juice, plenty of water and a nutritional drink a couple times a day..My Dr advised me to stay away from most of the natural herbs and supplements as they have not been tested with Yervoy..I did not get a flu vac because there is not enough known about it and Yervoy..I didn't want to chance compromising my immune system..

Ginger8888
                                                    Participant

I took and still take a mulit vit and vit D3 also drank V-8 juice, plenty of water and a nutritional drink a couple times a day..My Dr advised me to stay away from most of the natural herbs and supplements as they have not been tested with Yervoy..I did not get a flu vac because there is not enough known about it and Yervoy..I didn't want to chance compromising my immune system..

Ginger8888
                                                      Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                        Participant

My doc said I should not take any vitamins and definitely no supplements while on ipi. I think he was wrong. When I started PD1 I had already started back on and still take my one a day vitamin, vitamin d3, vitamin k2 and a little spiru-tein. The vitamin k2 I had read from someone on here that is supposed to be good for bones but most people don't know about it. But it has to be the k2 not the other types of k.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                          Participant

My doc said I should not take any vitamins and definitely no supplements while on ipi. I think he was wrong. When I started PD1 I had already started back on and still take my one a day vitamin, vitamin d3, vitamin k2 and a little spiru-tein. The vitamin k2 I had read from someone on here that is supposed to be good for bones but most people don't know about it. But it has to be the k2 not the other types of k.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                            Participant

Artie

jualonso
                                                            Participant

Thanks in advance

Jualonso

Gene_S
                                                              Participant

Took Multi Vitamin, Vitamin D3 all the way throught my Yervoy treatment.

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

jualonso
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Did anyone take curcumin supplement?
                                                                      jualonso
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        jualonso
                                                                        Participant
                                                                      Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics