The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

starting intron a interferon treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community starting intron a interferon treatment

Participant

Hi

im looking to know what intron A interferon treatment is like.

i am due to start my treatment on monday and i want to know what the main side effects are. i had all my melanoma removed and sentinel lymph node biopsy came back negative but oncologist recommended that i start this treatment. please give me information

thanks john tobin

Hi

im looking to know what intron A interferon treatment is like.

i am due to start my treatment on monday and i want to know what the main side effects are. i had all my melanoma removed and sentinel lymph node biopsy came back negative but oncologist recommended that i start this treatment. please give me information

thanks john tobin

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        scots
        Participant
          John,
          I just finished my year long treatment in Nov. 2011. If you do a search on interferon you will see a wide range side effects. You will see it effects everyone differently. Fatigue was a big one, I slept as much as I could. I did work the entire time but I did have a desk job. It started almost immediately and lasted the entire 12 months. Flu like symptoms, chills. I used a heating blanking to help with the chills at night. Check out my profile for a mor detailed account of my interferon treatment. Drink a lot of fluids. I lost 20 lbs. but that varies by person. If you have ant other questions I would be happy to answer them. Good luck with your treatment.

Scot
          Stage IIc

scots
          Participant
            John,
            I just finished my year long treatment in Nov. 2011. If you do a search on interferon you will see a wide range side effects. You will see it effects everyone differently. Fatigue was a big one, I slept as much as I could. I did work the entire time but I did have a desk job. It started almost immediately and lasted the entire 12 months. Flu like symptoms, chills. I used a heating blanking to help with the chills at night. Check out my profile for a mor detailed account of my interferon treatment. Drink a lot of fluids. I lost 20 lbs. but that varies by person. If you have ant other questions I would be happy to answer them. Good luck with your treatment.

Scot
            Stage IIc

scots
            Participant
              John,

Scot
              Stage IIc

audgator
              Participant

I also did the full year. I vomited after the first infusion but never again. I was really tired during that first month but that was about it for side effects. I also lost around 20 pounds and have put about half of it back on (not on purpose). The initiation of my treatment coincided with my retirement so working was not an issue. I don't think I could have the first month but probably could have the other 11.

audgator
                Participant

I also did the full year. I vomited after the first infusion but never again. I was really tired during that first month but that was about it for side effects. I also lost around 20 pounds and have put about half of it back on (not on purpose). The initiation of my treatment coincided with my retirement so working was not an issue. I don't think I could have the first month but probably could have the other 11.

audgator
                  Participant

triciad
                    Participant

John,

I'm sorry you had to join us here.  Here's my previous response regarding interferon.

I finished the full year of Interferon in 11/10.  The first few days were the worst.  For me, it seemed that my body (and mind) got used to the way it was going to be.  I didn't miss a day of work, but I could easily have stayed in bed.  I teach first grade, so I'm always on my feet and constantly moving…chasing!   I found the last few months, especially the high heat and humidity of summer, to be difficult.  For me, it was doable, but everyone reacts differently to the treatment.  I think you have to give it a few weeks to see what happens.

I will also say that I really gave myself over to the year of Interferon.  I rarely went out at night.  Most nights, I went to bed around 8:00, so I would get 10-11 hours of sleep.  I prioritized what I needed to do…work, cleaning, cooking.  Anything else I treated on an "if I felt good enough" basis.

As everyone else has said, it's a very personal decision, and you have to do what is right for your situation.  I wish you all the best with your decision, and feel free to email me if you have any other questions or concerens.

Tricia 

triciad
                      Participant

John,

I'm sorry you had to join us here.  Here's my previous response regarding interferon.

I finished the full year of Interferon in 11/10.  The first few days were the worst.  For me, it seemed that my body (and mind) got used to the way it was going to be.  I didn't miss a day of work, but I could easily have stayed in bed.  I teach first grade, so I'm always on my feet and constantly moving…chasing!   I found the last few months, especially the high heat and humidity of summer, to be difficult.  For me, it was doable, but everyone reacts differently to the treatment.  I think you have to give it a few weeks to see what happens.

I will also say that I really gave myself over to the year of Interferon.  I rarely went out at night.  Most nights, I went to bed around 8:00, so I would get 10-11 hours of sleep.  I prioritized what I needed to do…work, cleaning, cooking.  Anything else I treated on an "if I felt good enough" basis.

As everyone else has said, it's a very personal decision, and you have to do what is right for your situation.  I wish you all the best with your decision, and feel free to email me if you have any other questions or concerens.

Tricia 

triciad
                        Participant

John,

Tricia 

Johntobin83
                          Participant

Hi thanks a million for all your wonderful replies it makes me feel a little less nervous and i have a feeling its going to be a tough cycle but one i will challenge with all my energy and look forward to beating this for ahealthy future with my wife and kids.

My treatment will start with 3Mu of interferon injections monday, wednesday and fridays for 4 weeks then 3mu 5 days a week for 4 weeks. then he will up to 6mu 3 days for 4 weeks and 5 days for 4 weeks and 9 mu thereafter and so on so as regards this what will be my first symptoms, obviously people have different symptoms but as regards flu like symptoms, how bad will they be in normal cases.

sorry for the silly questions but they will help me i hope u all have a speedy recovery in your course of treatments too.

Johntobin83
                            Participant

Hi thanks a million for all your wonderful replies it makes me feel a little less nervous and i have a feeling its going to be a tough cycle but one i will challenge with all my energy and look forward to beating this for ahealthy future with my wife and kids.

My treatment will start with 3Mu of interferon injections monday, wednesday and fridays for 4 weeks then 3mu 5 days a week for 4 weeks. then he will up to 6mu 3 days for 4 weeks and 5 days for 4 weeks and 9 mu thereafter and so on so as regards this what will be my first symptoms, obviously people have different symptoms but as regards flu like symptoms, how bad will they be in normal cases.

sorry for the silly questions but they will help me i hope u all have a speedy recovery in your course of treatments too.

Johntobin83
                              Participant

scots
                                Participant
                                  John,
                                  The first thing I felt was chills. I used a heating blanket to help. I stayed cold through my entire treatment. Then came some bad bouts with nausea. Your doctor can provide you with medication that will help with this. Eat and drink if you can. Stay hydrated. Get as much sleep as you can.

Scot

scots
                                  Participant
                                    John,
                                    The first thing I felt was chills. I used a heating blanket to help. I stayed cold through my entire treatment. Then came some bad bouts with nausea. Your doctor can provide you with medication that will help with this. Eat and drink if you can. Stay hydrated. Get as much sleep as you can.

Scot

scots
                                    Participant
                                      John,

Scot

Cooper
                                      Participant

John,

Interferon was long ago proven to be ineffective in prolonging overall survival. It may only prolong recurrence time but you will lose a year of quality of life for that short benefit. If you have no evidence of disease in your nodes then there is NO reason to contemplate taking it.  It is still prescribed for profit motive and from doctors who don't keep up on current therapies.  So do some more research before you go ahead with this.  And we know melanoma does best with a strong immune system, interferon knocks your immune system down not up.

Rona
                                          Participant

I have to agree with that. After I stopped the treatment (in Aug 2010) I had surgery to remove MEL in Aug '10, Dec '10, Feb '11, Mar '11, Apr '11,May '11, Jun '11, and Oct '11. It was like the interferon pissed off my MEL. And, all those surgeries were while I was on DTIC. 

Rona

Rona
                                            Participant

I have to agree with that. After I stopped the treatment (in Aug 2010) I had surgery to remove MEL in Aug '10, Dec '10, Feb '11, Mar '11, Apr '11,May '11, Jun '11, and Oct '11. It was like the interferon pissed off my MEL. And, all those surgeries were while I was on DTIC. 

Rona

Rona
                                              Participant

Rona

Cooper
                                              Participant

John,

Interferon was long ago proven to be ineffective in prolonging overall survival. It may only prolong recurrence time but you will lose a year of quality of life for that short benefit. If you have no evidence of disease in your nodes then there is NO reason to contemplate taking it.  It is still prescribed for profit motive and from doctors who don't keep up on current therapies.  So do some more research before you go ahead with this.  And we know melanoma does best with a strong immune system, interferon knocks your immune system down not up.

Cooper
                                                Participant

John,

Rona
                                                  Participant

John,

My experience with the treatment did not go very smooth. I actually did much better the first month when its given everyday. I worked full time and went to school. But, I was very weak and slept every chance I could. I slept on breaks, in between classes. If I was not driving, I would sleep. I think it really helped that I drank  about 80 oz's of water. I'm not kidding, that's all I drank(water), that's all that I could tolerate. Nothing tasted good and nothing else stayed down. I dropped 20 lbs that month. 

When I started the self injections, I just went down hill. I finally had to stop after the 4th time I got pneumonia. I was hospitalized and stopped the treatment. The nurses kept letting me that it will get easier, but it didn't. I lasted 4 months.

Now, that's my story. That doesn't mean that it will effect you the same way. There are many people that tolerate it much better……

Keep us posted on your journey,

Rona

Rona
                                                    Participant

John,

My experience with the treatment did not go very smooth. I actually did much better the first month when its given everyday. I worked full time and went to school. But, I was very weak and slept every chance I could. I slept on breaks, in between classes. If I was not driving, I would sleep. I think it really helped that I drank  about 80 oz's of water. I'm not kidding, that's all I drank(water), that's all that I could tolerate. Nothing tasted good and nothing else stayed down. I dropped 20 lbs that month. 

When I started the self injections, I just went down hill. I finally had to stop after the 4th time I got pneumonia. I was hospitalized and stopped the treatment. The nurses kept letting me that it will get easier, but it didn't. I lasted 4 months.

Now, that's my story. That doesn't mean that it will effect you the same way. There are many people that tolerate it much better……

Rona

Rona
                                                      Participant

John,

Rona

scots
                                                        Participant
                                                          Good luck tomorrow.

Scot

scots
                                                          Participant
                                                            Good luck tomorrow.

Scot

scots
                                                            Participant
                                                              Good luck tomorrow.

Scot

Clemmy
                                                              Participant
                                                                Hi
                                                                I hope it’s all going well for you? I’ve been on intron a now for 5 weeks, some days I feel real poorly after injecting, some days I don’t have any side affects at all.
                                                                When I say real poorly, I’ve described it as, ” like the worst hangover ever x 10″ this lasts almost all day following, I take paracetamol every 4 hours to try to keep the banging head down.
                                                                But then again some days I feel fine, like I hope you are ?
                                                                Clemmy
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Hi
                                                                  I hope it’s all going well for you? I’ve been on intron a now for 5 weeks, some days I feel real poorly after injecting, some days I don’t have any side affects at all.
                                                                  When I say real poorly, I’ve described it as, ” like the worst hangover ever x 10″ this lasts almost all day following, I take paracetamol every 4 hours to try to keep the banging head down.
                                                                  Clemmy
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Hi
                                                                Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics