The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Started Keytruda on January 20th

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Started Keytruda on January 20th

Participant

After reading posts for a few months and finding many helpful, I thought I should contribute, hence the post. I'm a Brit living in the UK, my first melanoma was in 1995. A year later, following a resection of lymph node mets in my groin I joined a trial of Cancervax at JWCI in Santa Monica. Although overall the trial was unsuccessful, it seemed to work for me. I was NED for 18 years before presenting in December 2014 with two new primaries and a local recurrence on my flank. During 2015 I had 7 subcutaneous mets excised at the Royal Marsden Hospial in London. My CT scan earlier this month showed progression to lymph nodes in my neck and chest as well as a couple more subcutaneous mets. On January 20th I started on Keytruda. The first week I had negligible side effects but the last few days I've had headaches, fatigue and night sweats. All manageable. I had the option of Yervoy and Opdivo but chose Keytruda because I have a low tumour burden and normal ldh. The more severe side effects of ipi put me off the combo therapy but if I don't respond to Keytruda that could be the next step. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi there,

I too live in uk , I had ippi in June 2015 side effects was not bad at all . Keydruda next for me. I am stage 4 liver , lungs one tumour near my heart . May I ask who you see , hope keytruda does the magic for you. Ippi shrunk mine but still there had 2 scans stable as they say but would love to see more shrinkage on next scan . 

Good luck with treatment

scooby123❤️

melj
            Participant

Hi Scooby123, Dr James Larkin is my consultant at the Marsden but typically I see registrars .  Good luck and hope you have more shrinkage on the next scan.

Scooby123
              Participant

Thanks for info, hope it all goes well keep a update .

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                Participant

scooby123❤️

gcooperbl
                  Participant

Hey guys my dad is in Belfast and just started pembro / keytruda last week – he has stage 4 liver lungs and brain 🙁 but we are hoping pembro will work. Any advice re UK doctors? We were told pembro best thing out there for him atM.

gcooperbl
                    Participant

Hey guys my dad is in Belfast and just started pembro / keytruda last week – he has stage 4 liver lungs and brain 🙁 but we are hoping pembro will work. Any advice re UK doctors? We were told pembro best thing out there for him atM.

melj
                      Participant

Sorry to hear about your Dad. The advice I had was Keytruda ( pembrolizumab ) because it has ~40% response rate, starts working faster than ipi and has significantly lower side effects than ipi. I was told that if I had a high tumour burden then a combination of ipi and nivolumab would probably be a better treatment. Unfortunately this combination therapy isn't available on the NHS, as I understand it, a cofunding option exists which costs about £4000 per month. Also because the treatment is as a private patient any costs associated with hospitalisation for side effects would be borne by the patient.

Best wishes to your father with his treatment.

melj
                        Participant

Sorry to hear about your Dad. The advice I had was Keytruda ( pembrolizumab ) because it has ~40% response rate, starts working faster than ipi and has significantly lower side effects than ipi. I was told that if I had a high tumour burden then a combination of ipi and nivolumab would probably be a better treatment. Unfortunately this combination therapy isn't available on the NHS, as I understand it, a cofunding option exists which costs about £4000 per month. Also because the treatment is as a private patient any costs associated with hospitalisation for side effects would be borne by the patient.

Scooby123
                          Participant

I melj

thanks for info regarding combo, so frustrating when treatments are available eles where but we seem to be behind in uk. 

Scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                            Participant

I melj

thanks for info regarding combo, so frustrating when treatments are available eles where but we seem to be behind in uk. 

Scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                              Participant

I melj

Scooby123❤️

melj
                                Participant

Scooby123
                                  Participant

Hi gcooperl,

i live in sheffield, I went to manchester christies to see a melonoma speciallist . I was hoping to get on a trial there nivolumab . Pembro had just been FDA approved in uk so they took the trial off was disappointed . I was told pembro was the best treatment apart from the combo. I know my consultant is not happy combinding treatments but from what I can see people are having good responses but can also get bad side effects. I did ippi well so would love to try the combo but not sure if available here in uk, or even trials. I am seeing my consultant next week so got lots to ask him.

hope this treatment works for your dad, I too liver lungs, and anyway eles it might be .

good luck keep update ❤️

scooby123

Scooby123
                                    Participant

Hi gcooperl,

i live in sheffield, I went to manchester christies to see a melonoma speciallist . I was hoping to get on a trial there nivolumab . Pembro had just been FDA approved in uk so they took the trial off was disappointed . I was told pembro was the best treatment apart from the combo. I know my consultant is not happy combinding treatments but from what I can see people are having good responses but can also get bad side effects. I did ippi well so would love to try the combo but not sure if available here in uk, or even trials. I am seeing my consultant next week so got lots to ask him.

hope this treatment works for your dad, I too liver lungs, and anyway eles it might be .

good luck keep update ❤️

scooby123

Scooby123
                                      Participant

Hi gcooperl,

good luck keep update ❤️

scooby123

melj
                                        Participant

Hi Scooby123

NICE are looking at ipi and nivolumab combo therapy and are due to decide in September 2016.  ID848 is the relevant document on the NICE site. Also, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the Marsden offered it to me on a cofunding basis. The NHS would pay for the ipi, I would pay for the nivolumab, cost about £4000 per month. Not sure about trials. I've been excluded from a couple of trials because I had vaccine treatment in the US in the 1990s. Good luck with your consultant next week and please share any news.

good luck, Mel J.

melj
                                          Participant

Hi Scooby123

NICE are looking at ipi and nivolumab combo therapy and are due to decide in September 2016.  ID848 is the relevant document on the NICE site. Also, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the Marsden offered it to me on a cofunding basis. The NHS would pay for the ipi, I would pay for the nivolumab, cost about £4000 per month. Not sure about trials. I've been excluded from a couple of trials because I had vaccine treatment in the US in the 1990s. Good luck with your consultant next week and please share any news.

good luck, Mel J.

Scooby123
                                            Participant

Hi thank you for info, your consultant really good I saw him on TV last year. The combo I feel could be a good option for me I tolerated ippi well. I know we never know how side effects will effect us but feel while I am young I could tolorate it better. Will ask next week.Did you travel too US for the vaccine treatment

Thanks for info Mel J 

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                                              Participant

Hi thank you for info, your consultant really good I saw him on TV last year. The combo I feel could be a good option for me I tolerated ippi well. I know we never know how side effects will effect us but feel while I am young I could tolorate it better. Will ask next week.Did you travel too US for the vaccine treatment

Thanks for info Mel J 

scooby123❤️

melj
                                                Participant

I've only seen him once but I get the benefit of his experience through the multidisciplinary team approach. But I have to say the clinical staff are all brilliant.

In 1996 after mets in my groin were cut out I spent about 8 weeks in Santa Monica at the John Wayne Cancer Institute getting their cancervax as part of a phase 2 trial involving different dosages of bcg. I worked most of my career with an American multinational and they paid my expenses and gave me a project in LA. I was very lucky that they were so supportive. Whilst I was there a nurse from St George's in London came for training with the vaccine as St Georges were gong to be part of a phase 3 trial. Although not a part of that trial she helped me get my treatment transferred to London. I was on monthly vaccine injections until 1999 when we moved to Switzerland with my job. Best of luck with your treatment. Mel J

melj
                                                  Participant

I've only seen him once but I get the benefit of his experience through the multidisciplinary team approach. But I have to say the clinical staff are all brilliant.

In 1996 after mets in my groin were cut out I spent about 8 weeks in Santa Monica at the John Wayne Cancer Institute getting their cancervax as part of a phase 2 trial involving different dosages of bcg. I worked most of my career with an American multinational and they paid my expenses and gave me a project in LA. I was very lucky that they were so supportive. Whilst I was there a nurse from St George's in London came for training with the vaccine as St Georges were gong to be part of a phase 3 trial. Although not a part of that trial she helped me get my treatment transferred to London. I was on monthly vaccine injections until 1999 when we moved to Switzerland with my job. Best of luck with your treatment. Mel J

Scooby123
                                                    Participant

looks like you had a good team , will keep you updated 

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                                                      Participant

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                                                        Participant

scooby123❤️

melj
                                                          Participant

Scooby123
                                                            Participant

Thanks for info Mel J 

scooby123❤️

melj
                                                              Participant

Hi Scooby123

good luck, Mel J.

gcooperbl
                                                                Participant

Scooby123
                                                                  Participant

scooby123❤️

melj
                                                                    Participant

Hi Scooby123, Dr James Larkin is my consultant at the Marsden but typically I see registrars .  Good luck and hope you have more shrinkage on the next scan.

melj
                                                                      Participant

Scooby123
                                                                      Participant

Hi there,

I too live in uk , I had ippi in June 2015 side effects was not bad at all . Keydruda next for me. I am stage 4 liver , lungs one tumour near my heart . May I ask who you see , hope keytruda does the magic for you. Ippi shrunk mine but still there had 2 scans stable as they say but would love to see more shrinkage on next scan . 

Good luck with treatment

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                                                                        Participant

Hi there,

Good luck with treatment

scooby123❤️

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics