The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Staging

Participant
      We had surgery on 9/23. Pathology is back and there is no staging information. Dr.’s nurse said because tumor was below skin they don’t stage the cancer. The report states it is metastatic melanoma. Originally we were told stage 3 since it is a local recurrence. I am confused since metastatic melanoma is stage 4. I would like your thoughts since staging between 3/4 makes a difference with regards go the treatments available.

Also, we are approaching two weeks post op. One of the dr’s we are consulting with wants a brain MRI to rule out brain involvement. Our local hospital said we need to wait until 8 weeks post op. The consulting dr has him scheduled 10/14 for the MRI. Do we need to be concerned about the MRI and his internal stitches? Anyone ever encounter this?

Thanks, barb

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Pathology reports never "stage" because they are only looking at one piece of tissue, not the whole body.  Doctor's do the staging.

Local recurrences or "in transit" mets are not stage IV, but stage IIIB or IIIC.  You can see a breakdown in staging at this site:  http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/dermatology/cutaneous-malignant-melanoma/#s0110

The difference between B and C depends on if there is any lymph node involvement.  Stage IV would be a recurrence (either skin or organ) that is beyond the nearest lymph drainage basin.

Best wishes,

Janner

justlittleoleme
            Participant

Janner,

Thanks for the information.  His previous pathology did stage which is why I was looking for staging on this pathology report.    His previous pathology gave the stage and the information on the mitoses. 

Barb

justlittleoleme
              Participant

Janner,

Thanks for the information.  His previous pathology did stage which is why I was looking for staging on this pathology report.    His previous pathology gave the stage and the information on the mitoses. 

Barb

justlittleoleme
                Participant

Janner,

Barb

Janner
                Participant

Pathology reports never "stage" because they are only looking at one piece of tissue, not the whole body.  Doctor's do the staging.

Local recurrences or "in transit" mets are not stage IV, but stage IIIB or IIIC.  You can see a breakdown in staging at this site:  http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/dermatology/cutaneous-malignant-melanoma/#s0110

The difference between B and C depends on if there is any lymph node involvement.  Stage IV would be a recurrence (either skin or organ) that is beyond the nearest lymph drainage basin.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

KatyWI
                    Participant

Hi Barb,

The local recurrence IS metastatic, but he is still stage III since the mets are close to the original tumor.  Anything that isn't a primary tumor is metastatic.  Another example of metastatic but stage III is when someone has local lymph node involvement; the mm found in the lymph nodes is considered metastatic melanoma.  A really dramatic example is Donna, whose leg was covered in mets before she became a shining beacon of how well ipi CAN work.  She would still be considered stage III.

Waiting for the MRI doesn't make sense to me; tell the consulting doctor what the local hospital said and ask him to explain.  The internal stitches would not be metallic (he doesn't have any staples, does he?) so I can't figure out how a brain MRI could be affected by stitches anywhere NOT in the brain.

Katy

KatyWI
                      Participant

Hi Barb,

The local recurrence IS metastatic, but he is still stage III since the mets are close to the original tumor.  Anything that isn't a primary tumor is metastatic.  Another example of metastatic but stage III is when someone has local lymph node involvement; the mm found in the lymph nodes is considered metastatic melanoma.  A really dramatic example is Donna, whose leg was covered in mets before she became a shining beacon of how well ipi CAN work.  She would still be considered stage III.

Waiting for the MRI doesn't make sense to me; tell the consulting doctor what the local hospital said and ask him to explain.  The internal stitches would not be metallic (he doesn't have any staples, does he?) so I can't figure out how a brain MRI could be affected by stitches anywhere NOT in the brain.

Katy

KatyWI
                        Participant

Hi Barb,

Katy

James from Sydney
                          Participant

Hi Barb, our son was staged 3c after they found Metastatic Melanoma in his Parotid Gland as well as 3 lymph nodes nearby. There was no sign of any Primary on his skin, its referred to as Occult or Unknown Primary. He did a Pet Scan prior to surgery to rule out further spread however no MRI was done just CT Scans..

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                            Participant

Hi Barb, our son was staged 3c after they found Metastatic Melanoma in his Parotid Gland as well as 3 lymph nodes nearby. There was no sign of any Primary on his skin, its referred to as Occult or Unknown Primary. He did a Pet Scan prior to surgery to rule out further spread however no MRI was done just CT Scans..

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                              Participant

best wishes

James

Jessmoon
                                Participant

It should be safe to have an MRI.  My husband has a wider excision of his intiial lesion completed on 9/14/11 and had an MRI of his brain on 9/22.  Sutures should not contain metal.

Jessmoon
                                  Participant

It should be safe to have an MRI.  My husband has a wider excision of his intiial lesion completed on 9/14/11 and had an MRI of his brain on 9/22.  Sutures should not contain metal.

Jessmoon
                                    Participant

shellebrownies
                                      Participant

My husband had an MRI the morning after his lymphectomy while he was still in the hospital. But, if he had metal staples put in during the surgery, they would not be able to MRI until they were removed. Perhaps that's the issue?

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                        Participant

My husband had an MRI the morning after his lymphectomy while he was still in the hospital. But, if he had metal staples put in during the surgery, they would not be able to MRI until they were removed. Perhaps that's the issue?

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                          Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics