The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stages and stages

Forums General Melanoma Community Stages and stages

Participant

I am stage 4 NED…I was told I would always be considered stage 4 and would not regress to lesser stage…is that true- even though I have no disease at this point? I was told it's the distance it travels and not how "bad" you are…Just wondering…anyone know?? 

I am stage 4 NED…I was told I would always be considered stage 4 and would not regress to lesser stage…is that true- even though I have no disease at this point? I was told it's the distance it travels and not how "bad" you are…Just wondering…anyone know?? 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Stage IV is determined by distant metastasis or spread to another organ besides the skin. Once you've reached that stage IV, there you stay, no matter what your status.

But celebrating being NED is always wonderful, especially at stage IV, don't you agree?

🙂

dian

dian in spokane
          Participant

Stage IV is determined by distant metastasis or spread to another organ besides the skin. Once you've reached that stage IV, there you stay, no matter what your status.

But celebrating being NED is always wonderful, especially at stage IV, don't you agree?

🙂

dian

LynnLuc
            Participant

Yes it is…but I would really like the nightmare to be over , you know..with bated breath we live, we wait, we hope…while I know it isn't possible…I want my life back the way it was…albeit boring and taken for granted…instead I hold my breath, for me, for my new found friends with stage 4…the PTSD without the ' post'…we all must suffer!

LynnLuc
                Participant

PS….NED is really just a temporary state for most of us…I am not so niave to think it won't come back…it's just a matter of when…

When I first had it removed when it was just a lil old freckle the docs said I had nothing to worry about…that clean margin is just another way of saying make the scar  look impressive!

When it came back the second time in 4 years a little bigger and taller…they went a little deeper and wider and said take out those lymph nodes…which they did…said all clear….nothing to worry about…

They didn't say that when it was first discovered in my media stenum 8 years later pressing against my superior vena cava…and they didn't say that when they cut my muscles, tendons and rib to get in there and cut out the 6.8 cent melanoma in a lymph node….

People with any stage of melanoma shouldn't relax so much as to ignore regular checkups….Boy am I am a dark cloud tonight…but it is the truth as I see it, you know…

dian in spokane
                  Participant

I am also stage IV NED, and, my melanoma came back after 20 yrs..then again after 5, so I'm sure it will come back as well. But I try not to let it keep me down when it's not active. I have a lot of living left in me, and I am not going to let my fear take over.

come chat!

dian

melanomafighter
                    Participant

hello, I am stage 3B and I too and glad you are NED.  I go for my first pet scan tomorrow to see if they did a good job with my first two surgeries and interferon for the 6 weeks I did it.  I have a lady at my drs office whose husband had melanoma and was stage 3C.  He had it on his back and it was removed and had to be tested every year as we all do for ten years and I asked her when she talked about him but said he "was" stage3C, what did she mean, after being NED for so long did they lower his stage and she said after ten and if doesn't return he isn't a stage anymore.  It was nice to hear and to know as I had not found anyone that didn't have it return, but reading these posts is not true for all since the one gal was NED for 20 and she didn't say anything about not being a stage and then returning again in 5?  I am still new at it all just thought I would share what I was told…Good luck

dian in spokane
                      Participant

I am sure that after ten years, one finds a way to think of oneself as 'cured' nevertheless, that person was (and still is) stage 3. You don't get to make your stage disappear or go backward.

Maybe you were talking about me at the end. I was stage I for 20 yrs, and I certainly did think of myself as cured. I was stage IIIB for 5 yrs, and now I have been stage IV for 2 yrs. And if I am stage IV for 20 yrs I will still be stage IV.

You can ask for your doctor to clarify this, but what I think is that the lady you met in the doctor's office maybe just doesn't understand the technicalities. But the realities are clear to her! Ten years out at stage 3C is great. If she can think of him as a 'previous' melanoma patient, or even 'cured', then good for her.

Good luck with your PET scan tomorrow. Please let us know when you get your results. I hope you are getting over the side effects from interferon and feeling more normal

dian

dian in spokane
                        Participant

I am sure that after ten years, one finds a way to think of oneself as 'cured' nevertheless, that person was (and still is) stage 3. You don't get to make your stage disappear or go backward.

Maybe you were talking about me at the end. I was stage I for 20 yrs, and I certainly did think of myself as cured. I was stage IIIB for 5 yrs, and now I have been stage IV for 2 yrs. And if I am stage IV for 20 yrs I will still be stage IV.

You can ask for your doctor to clarify this, but what I think is that the lady you met in the doctor's office maybe just doesn't understand the technicalities. But the realities are clear to her! Ten years out at stage 3C is great. If she can think of him as a 'previous' melanoma patient, or even 'cured', then good for her.

Good luck with your PET scan tomorrow. Please let us know when you get your results. I hope you are getting over the side effects from interferon and feeling more normal

dian

melanomafighter
                          Participant

hello, I am stage 3B and I too and glad you are NED.  I go for my first pet scan tomorrow to see if they did a good job with my first two surgeries and interferon for the 6 weeks I did it.  I have a lady at my drs office whose husband had melanoma and was stage 3C.  He had it on his back and it was removed and had to be tested every year as we all do for ten years and I asked her when she talked about him but said he "was" stage3C, what did she mean, after being NED for so long did they lower his stage and she said after ten and if doesn't return he isn't a stage anymore.  It was nice to hear and to know as I had not found anyone that didn't have it return, but reading these posts is not true for all since the one gal was NED for 20 and she didn't say anything about not being a stage and then returning again in 5?  I am still new at it all just thought I would share what I was told…Good luck

dian in spokane
                            Participant

I am also stage IV NED, and, my melanoma came back after 20 yrs..then again after 5, so I'm sure it will come back as well. But I try not to let it keep me down when it's not active. I have a lot of living left in me, and I am not going to let my fear take over.

come chat!

dian

LynnLuc
                              Participant

PS….NED is really just a temporary state for most of us…I am not so niave to think it won't come back…it's just a matter of when…

When I first had it removed when it was just a lil old freckle the docs said I had nothing to worry about…that clean margin is just another way of saying make the scar  look impressive!

When it came back the second time in 4 years a little bigger and taller…they went a little deeper and wider and said take out those lymph nodes…which they did…said all clear….nothing to worry about…

They didn't say that when it was first discovered in my media stenum 8 years later pressing against my superior vena cava…and they didn't say that when they cut my muscles, tendons and rib to get in there and cut out the 6.8 cent melanoma in a lymph node….

People with any stage of melanoma shouldn't relax so much as to ignore regular checkups….Boy am I am a dark cloud tonight…but it is the truth as I see it, you know…

LynnLuc
                              Participant

Yes it is…but I would really like the nightmare to be over , you know..with bated breath we live, we wait, we hope…while I know it isn't possible…I want my life back the way it was…albeit boring and taken for granted…instead I hold my breath, for me, for my new found friends with stage 4…the PTSD without the ' post'…we all must suffer!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics