The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IVer checking in

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IVer checking in

Participant

Hello all!

It's been some time since I have logged on, but I always keep tabs on and prayers for all here who share the bond of melanoma.

I have had the blessed good fortune of being an (almost) 8-year survivor of stage IV, 24 yrs since first being diagnosed in 1989 as stage I. In that time I have learned so much and understood so little, but I do know that there is hope for each and everyone of us.

Hello all!

It's been some time since I have logged on, but I always keep tabs on and prayers for all here who share the bond of melanoma.

I have had the blessed good fortune of being an (almost) 8-year survivor of stage IV, 24 yrs since first being diagnosed in 1989 as stage I. In that time I have learned so much and understood so little, but I do know that there is hope for each and everyone of us.

I cling to that hope now as I face another possible hurdle in the form of a brain lesion. The MRI was possibly in error, but my docs will rescan in 8 wks to see if there is any change.

Does it get any easier? Sometimes.

Is there ever a time when scans aren't stressful? Nope.

Can someone live with melanoma? Absolutely. No one is a statistic; there is always hope!

My best to all,

Karen

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

best wishes for you.  your profile says initially diagnosed as stage I, less than 1mm, but yet had 23 nodes removed?  i didn't think they usually remove 23 nodes for stage I less than 1mm?

KRob
            Participant

Because I was at .98 in primary's depth, the docs rounded me up to 1mm so I would be eligible to take part in a study going on at that time (SWOG- Southwest Oncology Group). I lived in Louisiana at the time (my husband was in the military) and went to TX , Ft. Sam Houston, for treatment. I was randomly selected for the wide-excision with lymphotomy.

KRob
              Participant

Because I was at .98 in primary's depth, the docs rounded me up to 1mm so I would be eligible to take part in a study going on at that time (SWOG- Southwest Oncology Group). I lived in Louisiana at the time (my husband was in the military) and went to TX , Ft. Sam Houston, for treatment. I was randomly selected for the wide-excision with lymphotomy.

KRob
                Participant

JC
                Participant

best wishes for you.  your profile says initially diagnosed as stage I, less than 1mm, but yet had 23 nodes removed?  i didn't think they usually remove 23 nodes for stage I less than 1mm?

JC
                  Participant

POW
                    Participant

Thank you for your inspiring story! It is truly amazing that you have been able to handle this emotional roller coaster so well for so many years. Good for you!

I sincerely hope that the "brain lesion" turns out to be nothing. But even if it is melanoma, there are so many good treatments available now that were not available 8 years ago that you have good reason to be optimistic. Don't panic (not that you ever would!). Please keep us posted about what happens.

POW
                      Participant

Thank you for your inspiring story! It is truly amazing that you have been able to handle this emotional roller coaster so well for so many years. Good for you!

I sincerely hope that the "brain lesion" turns out to be nothing. But even if it is melanoma, there are so many good treatments available now that were not available 8 years ago that you have good reason to be optimistic. Don't panic (not that you ever would!). Please keep us posted about what happens.

POW
                        Participant

bikerwife
                          Participant

Thank you for posting this. my husband is stage 5 and has had brain Mets. you give me the hope and inspiration to keep pushing forward. Thank you

bikerwife
                            Participant

Thank you for posting this. my husband is stage 5 and has had brain Mets. you give me the hope and inspiration to keep pushing forward. Thank you

bikerwife
                              Participant

DeniseK
                                Participant
                                  Dear Karen,
                                  Please read todays post from Brendan, Stage IV NED, I’m hoping the scan was a mistake! Wish I could make the next 8 weeks go by faster. I’m waiting on an mri for the 15th of February so I’m gonna try to keep busy and push it out of my mind. Its probably nothing but if its not you can beat this too!! You sound like you have a great attitude and thats what you need first and foremost!
                                  Keep us posted and hang in there!!
                                  All my best
                                  Denise
                                  DeniseK
                                  Participant
                                    Dear Karen,
                                    Please read todays post from Brendan, Stage IV NED, I’m hoping the scan was a mistake! Wish I could make the next 8 weeks go by faster. I’m waiting on an mri for the 15th of February so I’m gonna try to keep busy and push it out of my mind. Its probably nothing but if its not you can beat this too!! You sound like you have a great attitude and thats what you need first and foremost!
                                    All my best
                                    Denise
                                    DeniseK
                                    Participant
                                      Dear Karen,
                                      All my best
                                      Denise
                                  Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics