The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV question

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV question

Participant
      Anyone not on any treatment plan having been diagnosed stage IV? The reason I’m asking is because I’m stage IV with NED for the last 6 months. I was on Zelboraff but my Dr took me off because of the extreme photosensitive issues I was having. I am going to begin new drug soon but wondering if we will ever be free of treatment
      I am so thankful and blessed to be in the situation I’m in now. I just believe we can never give up
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant

Hi Judy,

I am currently stage IV and have been on some type of treatment for almost a year now.  I am currently taking Mek/Dabrafenib combo and seeing great results.  I can only dream of a day where I don't have to take any type of treatment.  I think there are people out there that have been on NO treatment because something they did has made them NED and have had continued success.  I've heard of people doing IL-2 and IPI and doing nothing now because they totally responded to that particular treatment.  

So there is hope that some form of treatment you do will keep you NED after you finish.  I really hope they find a cure for us and we can live normal lives again!!  🙂

Curious of what they are switching you to?

All my best to you,

Denise

DeniseK
          Participant

Hi Judy,

I am currently stage IV and have been on some type of treatment for almost a year now.  I am currently taking Mek/Dabrafenib combo and seeing great results.  I can only dream of a day where I don't have to take any type of treatment.  I think there are people out there that have been on NO treatment because something they did has made them NED and have had continued success.  I've heard of people doing IL-2 and IPI and doing nothing now because they totally responded to that particular treatment.  

So there is hope that some form of treatment you do will keep you NED after you finish.  I really hope they find a cure for us and we can live normal lives again!!  🙂

All my best to you,

Denise

Judy D
              Participant
                I too will be going on just Dabrafenib. They felt this would be the best way to go for now. I pray that some day there will be an absolute cure for this beast and we will all live to be be old and healthy.
                Judy D
                Participant
                  I too will be going on just Dabrafenib. They felt this would be the best way to go for now. I pray that some day there will be an absolute cure for this beast and we will all live to be be old and healthy.
                  Judy D
                  Participant
                  DeniseK
                  Participant

Hi Judy,

All my best to you,

Denise

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

IL-2 is the  only thing I know of that has kept people NED long enough to not have them considering other  treatments.  There is hope  that both Yervoy and PD-1 will provide this for some people.   That will take  years before it is leaarned if that is truly to happen.  It  is doubtful  that within the next ten yearss  that we  will not be looking closely at  what is happeing in our bodies with all other treatments.  At least IL-2 doesn't keep people  on treatments for negative side efferts  for years after reaching NED for it's "complete responders".  Of course how much can I say, I've been stage IV for over 6 1/6 years aand nnot been NED during this time!

Judy D
                        Participant
                          Thank you for your response. I hope that you too will one day get to hear the words NED! But we are all so thankful for these new drugs that have had such great success. I have been battling this beast for 16 years and I don’t plan on letting it win!
                          Judy D
                          Participant
                            Thank you for your response. I hope that you too will one day get to hear the words NED! But we are all so thankful for these new drugs that have had such great success. I have been battling this beast for 16 years and I don’t plan on letting it win!
                            Judy D
                            Participant
                            JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

IL-2 is the  only thing I know of that has kept people NED long enough to not have them considering other  treatments.  There is hope  that both Yervoy and PD-1 will provide this for some people.   That will take  years before it is leaarned if that is truly to happen.  It  is doubtful  that within the next ten yearss  that we  will not be looking closely at  what is happeing in our bodies with all other treatments.  At least IL-2 doesn't keep people  on treatments for negative side efferts  for years after reaching NED for it's "complete responders".  Of course how much can I say, I've been stage IV for over 6 1/6 years aand nnot been NED during this time!

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Rocco
                                Participant

Hi – I was dx Stage IV in Aug 2005, multiple surgeries and treatments and then went on Ipi (MDX-010 trial), was an IPI responder and went NED in Feb 2009, stopped Ipi due to some side effects and have received no treatments since for mel since.  Was on high dose steroids after Ipi to reduce all side effects, but that's it..  Was followed up with scans every 3 months until mid-2012 when we moved to every 6 months for scans…

– Rocco

PS- Luke 1:37 is a favorite of mine

Rocco
                                  Participant

Hi – I was dx Stage IV in Aug 2005, multiple surgeries and treatments and then went on Ipi (MDX-010 trial), was an IPI responder and went NED in Feb 2009, stopped Ipi due to some side effects and have received no treatments since for mel since.  Was on high dose steroids after Ipi to reduce all side effects, but that's it..  Was followed up with scans every 3 months until mid-2012 when we moved to every 6 months for scans…

– Rocco

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Howdy again, great to hear that  you are  doing so well.  Yes, it is expected that Ipi and PD-1 will provide some Cures.  Time will provide the numbers (I hope they are HIGH.)  Maybe if a complete responder for over three or 4  years?    (Hope, Hope!)

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Howdy again, great to hear that  you are  doing so well.  Yes, it is expected that Ipi and PD-1 will provide some Cures.  Time will provide the numbers (I hope they are HIGH.)  Maybe if a complete responder for over three or 4  years?    (Hope, Hope!)

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Judy D
                                            Participant
                                              Thank you for your encouraging words. I pray that I too will be joining your status of no meds. Continued good health to you
                                              Judy
                                              Judy D
                                              Participant
                                                Thank you for your encouraging words. I pray that I too will be joining your status of no meds. Continued good health to you
                                                Judy
                                                Judy D
                                                Participant
                                                  Judy
                                                Rocco
                                                Participant

– Rocco

dodgedh2
                                                  Participant

I am Stage 4 w/unknown primary. I've been NED for over 5 years now and have been released from oncology and am monitored by my primary care physiscian. Not undergoing any treatments and no more scans. It's nerve raking, but I'm beginning to start looking forward to having a life again.

dodgedh2
                                                    Participant

I am Stage 4 w/unknown primary. I've been NED for over 5 years now and have been released from oncology and am monitored by my primary care physiscian. Not undergoing any treatments and no more scans. It's nerve raking, but I'm beginning to start looking forward to having a life again.

dodgedh2
                                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics