The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV – Ketoacidosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IV – Ketoacidosis

Participant
      Hello all,

Just wanted to give an update. After 4 ipi/nivo infusions, we switched to a double dose of nivo and my vision went to hell. Started seeing double. They managed it with steroids and pulled me off of cancer treatment. Last week, I had a nasty reaction and landed in the ER, then ICU, with a terrible case of diabetic ketoacidosis. My sugar levels were above 600. I had been feeling yucky for about a day and a half. My husband called the doc when he could hardly wake me up any longer. I had no idea what was going on… lost a day or two of memory. They had to put an emergency PIC line in me. And just like that, overnight, I’m a Type 1 Diabetic that is now insulin dependent. What a crazy whirlwind. I was in the hospital five days. They are slowly taking me off of the steroids and I’m learning to be a diabetic with diet, finger pricks, and insulin. They have halted all cancer treatment as my doctor feels that the immunotherapy will continue to work and will just monitor me with scans. i’m nervous, but have seen promising things so I must trust the doc.

I can live with diabetes if I’m cancer free. Currently working from home with this Covid-19 crisis, and I feel lucky to be able to maintain work while going through all this. Checking in on the board often, just have been too busy to message y’all on your posts. Keep fighting the good fight!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant
          Good morning, FYI this may not be the new normal for you. I had to go on steroids due to developing colitis during my Nivo treatments. I developed diabetes as well. About six months later off the treatments and off the steroids, my blood sugars returned to normal. Not sure if this will happen for you, but it sure is possible. Hoping and praying for you!!
            Lucas
            Participant
              I developed type 1 diabetes after 5 infusions of adjuvant Keytruda. I eventually progressed to stage 4 and had a complete response to the combo iPi/nivo. Type 1 is probably one of the worst side effects because it’s permanent. However it is one of the many side effects I’m here with. I wouldn’t change my journey and am just happy very happy to be alive. My diabetes has been frustrating at times, but very manageable. I’m glD I developed it as an adult and not a child, it is made much easier with technologies like a continuous glucose monitor. Lastly I continue on novo still with no further complications or side effects.
        Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics