The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IV at 10-year milestone

Forums Caregiver Community Stage IV at 10-year milestone

Participant

Ten years ago today I had a CT scan that showed a lesion to my lung advancing me to Stage IV.  My status for the majority of these past ten years has been stable/manageable disease.

While my journey has certainly had its moments of successes and disappointments I have been fortunate in that I am still able to live a somewhat normal life and continue to work full time.  I know that this might not be the average life of a stage IV patient but I’m hoping this post gives at least a glimmer of hopefulness to others.

Ten years ago today I had a CT scan that showed a lesion to my lung advancing me to Stage IV.  My status for the majority of these past ten years has been stable/manageable disease.

While my journey has certainly had its moments of successes and disappointments I have been fortunate in that I am still able to live a somewhat normal life and continue to work full time.  I know that this might not be the average life of a stage IV patient but I’m hoping this post gives at least a glimmer of hopefulness to others.

My heart goes out to all of you, patients and caregivers alike.

Chris

Stage IV February 19th, 2003

Manageable Disease since October 1st, 2004

ChrisB~StageIV on MPIP

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          Chris, THANKS for sharing your great news of long term survival with Stage 4 melanoma, you a true warrior! Your story gives us all hope! Can you tell us if you still take Nexavar, if not how long did you take that drug? And, what is your mutation? My husband is fighting, almost 20 months since his Stage 4 diagnosis, and we are always looking for treatment ideas! Since, he is Braf negative, I feel we have to be more inventive in our approach! All the best to you, wishing you many, many years of healthy living! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
          Phil S
          Participant
            Chris, THANKS for sharing your great news of long term survival with Stage 4 melanoma, you a true warrior! Your story gives us all hope! Can you tell us if you still take Nexavar, if not how long did you take that drug? And, what is your mutation? My husband is fighting, almost 20 months since his Stage 4 diagnosis, and we are always looking for treatment ideas! Since, he is Braf negative, I feel we have to be more inventive in our approach! All the best to you, wishing you many, many years of healthy living! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
              randallgford
              Participant

Thanks Chris, we just got the same diagnosis and are starting the battle. Hope my husband has the

same experience!!!! Hope is all I have. Vicki (Randall's wife)

randallgford
                Participant

Thanks Chris, we just got the same diagnosis and are starting the battle. Hope my husband has the

randallgford
                  Participant

ChrisB
                    Participant

Valerie, I'm sorry you and your husband are dealing with melanoma.

I am no longer taking Nexavar. At the time my oncologist prescribed it I knew he was offering the only option he felt could be persued at that time.  I took it for the first month to satify his need to do something then tapered off it completely. Since I was already on the stable/managable side of things I felt that this was the right choice for me.

I have not been tested for mutations.

All my best to you and your husband.

Chris
                      ChrisB
                      Participant

I am no longer taking Nexavar. At the time my oncologist prescribed it I knew he was offering the only option he felt could be persued at that time.  I took it for the first month to satify his need to do something then tapered off it completely. Since I was already on the stable/managable side of things I felt that this was the right choice for me.

Chris
                        ChrisB
                        Participant

Chris
                        Phil S
                        Participant
                          Calynda
                          Participant
                            Thank you for sharing this… And congrats!…. I’m just starting out… Was diagnosed with “at least” stage IIc 1 week ago… And I need these stories while we’re trying to figure out the extent of what I have.
                            Calynda
                            Participant
                              Thank you for sharing this… And congrats!…. I’m just starting out… Was diagnosed with “at least” stage IIc 1 week ago… And I need these stories while we’re trying to figure out the extent of what I have.
                              Calynda
                              Participant
                                triciad
                                Participant

Chris,

Thanks so much for posting your good news.  It really picks up our spirits here to hear the positive stories.  You have been through so much, but the most important thing is that you are still winning.   Congratulations!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                  Participant

Chris,

Thanks so much for posting your good news.  It really picks up our spirits here to hear the positive stories.  You have been through so much, but the most important thing is that you are still winning.   Congratulations!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                    Participant

Chris,

Tricia

Janner
                                      Participant

Hey Chris!  So great to see you posting again!  I'm glad it's for all the right reasons, too!  Keep on keeping on!!!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                        Participant

Hey Chris!  So great to see you posting again!  I'm glad it's for all the right reasons, too!  Keep on keeping on!!!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 11 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics