The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIIa, in Remission but don’t feel like it. Have any of you felt this way?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIIa, in Remission but don’t feel like it. Have any of you felt this way?

Participant

I found out I was in remission in September 2010.  Yet I am experiencing all the side effects of active disease.

I have been in and out of the hospital more since remission than before.  Could it be the little bugger is in there somewhere wreaking havoc without a scan that has detected it? 

I'm somewhere between bewildered and being afraid and being sure I still have active disease and its just hasn't been found.

I found out I was in remission in September 2010.  Yet I am experiencing all the side effects of active disease.

I have been in and out of the hospital more since remission than before.  Could it be the little bugger is in there somewhere wreaking havoc without a scan that has detected it? 

I'm somewhere between bewildered and being afraid and being sure I still have active disease and its just hasn't been found.

Believe me when I say I would like to do a cartwheel but my body seems to continue to go slower and I continue to get sick. 

Does anyone have any words of wisdom.

CKasper Stage IIIa , a veteran of 27 years with this disease a 27 year warrior

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I looked up your previous post, which didn't sound like it was melanoma related but sure sounded like it could have been interferon related.  Also much of it might have been age related.  Unfortunately without a profile completed difficult to say much else. 

Always a chance that Mel is lurking there somewhere and scans are not picking it up but usually you are not symptomatic at that point.  Find yourself a good Internist that will treat the whole body and be proactive.

washoegal
          Participant

I looked up your previous post, which didn't sound like it was melanoma related but sure sounded like it could have been interferon related.  Also much of it might have been age related.  Unfortunately without a profile completed difficult to say much else. 

Always a chance that Mel is lurking there somewhere and scans are not picking it up but usually you are not symptomatic at that point.  Find yourself a good Internist that will treat the whole body and be proactive.

nicoli
            Participant

I know that any cancer treatment can cause fatigue. And in 56% of cancer patients, this fatigue can last for months or years.

Maybe your are still recovering from whatever treatment you received before remission.

Nicki, stage 3b

nicoli
              Participant

I know that any cancer treatment can cause fatigue. And in 56% of cancer patients, this fatigue can last for months or years.

Maybe your are still recovering from whatever treatment you received before remission.

Nicki, stage 3b

Charlie S
                Participant

Sounds to me you are feling sorry for yourself and letting your mind get away from you…………………which is okay; but if you want medical treatment, you MUST define your feelings and sensations.

What, specific physical feelings are you having?  What is it, exactly  that leads you to beleive  you have active disease?

Do you have pain in a specific location?  Is it at a previous surgical site?  Are you fatigued?  Are you losing weight?  Are you having cognitive issues that make it difficult for you to frame thoughts?  Do you have trouble walking or thinking?  Is there swelling or lumps that are knew?  Is your temperature elevated?  Is your urine or stool different?  How is your appetite?  Is your skin a different color?  Do you have swelling or a feeling of fullness that you have not had before?

Is it difficult for you to swallow or breathe?  Does your heart rate/pulse feel different?  When is the last time you had scans and what type of scans were they?

Do you, besides melanoma, have any other health issues?

Sounds to me like you have a melanoma freak, and given your self described "warrior" status, you should know better.

Work the problem and science and set your emotion aside.

Charlie S

CKasper
                    Participant

Dear Charlie S.

I have lost over 50 pounds in less than 6 months, I have swollen joints, weird rashes,

candida in my digestive system, pericarditis, fluid in the lungs and heart and I have a so called benign tumor in my heart. 

I had a pet scan that said I had disease then when I finally had an upper colonoscopy it some how vanished. 

I'm on minimum medication yet my thought processess are sometimes very bad.  and I have been falling down alot.

Please don't be holier than thou with me.  I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm really trying to get on with my life but my body isn't letting me.

CKasper

CKasper
                      Participant

Dear Charlie S.

I have lost over 50 pounds in less than 6 months, I have swollen joints, weird rashes,

candida in my digestive system, pericarditis, fluid in the lungs and heart and I have a so called benign tumor in my heart. 

I had a pet scan that said I had disease then when I finally had an upper colonoscopy it some how vanished. 

I'm on minimum medication yet my thought processess are sometimes very bad.  and I have been falling down alot.

Please don't be holier than thou with me.  I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm really trying to get on with my life but my body isn't letting me.

CKasper

Charlie S
                      Participant

Sounds to me you are feling sorry for yourself and letting your mind get away from you…………………which is okay; but if you want medical treatment, you MUST define your feelings and sensations.

What, specific physical feelings are you having?  What is it, exactly  that leads you to beleive  you have active disease?

Do you have pain in a specific location?  Is it at a previous surgical site?  Are you fatigued?  Are you losing weight?  Are you having cognitive issues that make it difficult for you to frame thoughts?  Do you have trouble walking or thinking?  Is there swelling or lumps that are knew?  Is your temperature elevated?  Is your urine or stool different?  How is your appetite?  Is your skin a different color?  Do you have swelling or a feeling of fullness that you have not had before?

Is it difficult for you to swallow or breathe?  Does your heart rate/pulse feel different?  When is the last time you had scans and what type of scans were they?

Do you, besides melanoma, have any other health issues?

Sounds to me like you have a melanoma freak, and given your self described "warrior" status, you should know better.

Work the problem and science and set your emotion aside.

Charlie S

Carver
                        Participant

I'm sorry you have been feeling so badly. I have had many health issues following my groin lymph dissection 6 years ago. I am followed by a number of doctors including a rheumatologist who has helped me a lot. I hope that you can find the right combination of doctors to diagnose you, and hopefully it will turn out to be treatable and not related to melanoma. Even if you have symptoms that some people have when their cancer progresses it doesn't mean that's what's going on with you. The problem with symptoms is the same symptom can indicate a number of different health issues and sometimes it takes time to figure it all out. I've gotten to the point that I assume any new problems I have aren't related to melanoma. That's my coping mechanism. Everyone is different and it's good to rule out metastatic disease if you have a melanoma history but after so long without a recurrence the odds are definitely on your side. That doesn't mean you shouldn't rule out cancer but hopefully it's something else and you will find some relief. Take care, Carver

Carver
                          Participant

I'm sorry you have been feeling so badly. I have had many health issues following my groin lymph dissection 6 years ago. I am followed by a number of doctors including a rheumatologist who has helped me a lot. I hope that you can find the right combination of doctors to diagnose you, and hopefully it will turn out to be treatable and not related to melanoma. Even if you have symptoms that some people have when their cancer progresses it doesn't mean that's what's going on with you. The problem with symptoms is the same symptom can indicate a number of different health issues and sometimes it takes time to figure it all out. I've gotten to the point that I assume any new problems I have aren't related to melanoma. That's my coping mechanism. Everyone is different and it's good to rule out metastatic disease if you have a melanoma history but after so long without a recurrence the odds are definitely on your side. That doesn't mean you shouldn't rule out cancer but hopefully it's something else and you will find some relief. Take care, Carver

Carver
                            Participant

PS

I was tired when I replied and realized that I was thinking it had been 27 years since your last recurrence rather than only 10 months. Since it's fairly recently that you had a recurrence it is certainly important for the doctor's to follow you closely and make sure your health issues aren't related to melanoma. I will say though that the first year after I was diagnosed at stage III, I had a lot of scans and some were suspicious which called for repeat scans. I was lucky and it turned out that my problems related to surgery not to melanoma. I know how hard it is though not to worry and I certainly did a lot of that the first few years of being stage III. Again, I hope it will turn out that your health issues don't relate to melanoma. That will be something the doctors will have to determine with scans, tests and time. Take care, Carver

Carver
                              Participant

PS

I was tired when I replied and realized that I was thinking it had been 27 years since your last recurrence rather than only 10 months. Since it's fairly recently that you had a recurrence it is certainly important for the doctor's to follow you closely and make sure your health issues aren't related to melanoma. I will say though that the first year after I was diagnosed at stage III, I had a lot of scans and some were suspicious which called for repeat scans. I was lucky and it turned out that my problems related to surgery not to melanoma. I know how hard it is though not to worry and I certainly did a lot of that the first few years of being stage III. Again, I hope it will turn out that your health issues don't relate to melanoma. That will be something the doctors will have to determine with scans, tests and time. Take care, Carver

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics