The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIIa diagnosis in Canada

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIIa diagnosis in Canada

Participant

I was diagnosed as stage IIIa in early 2016 with a 1.5MM primary on the ear tip, no ulceration, 4/sq mm mitatic rate.  After a removal and SNLB, 2 of 5 nodes had micrometatasis (.65 and .7mm).  I then had a CNLD of the neck and all 50+ nodes were clear. 

I entered the interferon/pembro clinical trial and drew the interferon arm.  I only lasted one week on interferon but am still being watched closely.  My July CT and PetScan came back clear.  My next CT is scheduled for Nov 17. I have not had an MRI. 

As Ipi is not yet approved for stage III in Canada, I'm wondering if it worth my while to travel to Seattle for treatment with IPI?  Any thoughts?  iF so, who should I see in Seattle?

Also, I've been having mild headaches for the past two months.  At my last appointment with my oncologist he thought this was not a problem as I would find the headaches getting worse.  However, the headaches keep coming. I will see my oncologist next week and will ask if I should have a brain MRI.  I also will see my eye doctor as  hopefully the headaches are related to vision changes.  Otherwise, I feel fine. 

Thanks for your support and advice. 

Stacie

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

A brain MRI is standard for staging melanoma patients in the US and to get a base line image of a patient's brain for future MRI's. It should be standard in CA, if not, then definitely request one. There should be no guessing when it comes to the brain. Your headaches may have nothing to do with brain mets or anything dangerous, but there's no reason to wait and see on that. 

SOLE
            Participant

Dear Jenn,

I cannot agree more with you! But my docs tell me that the US docs order too many scans and that they get a financial reward esch time they do. Same with the meds. 

I am desperately seeking a doctor here who would be willing to get me an MRI and a CT. I am willing to pay for it but the protocol here says it has to be ordered from your treating oncologist. So I am trying to change my whole medical team and start clear. It's really tiresome that we have to advocate for ourselves… I could really get some help from the medical profession 

SOLE
              Participant

Dear Jenn,

I cannot agree more with you! But my docs tell me that the US docs order too many scans and that they get a financial reward esch time they do. Same with the meds. 

I am desperately seeking a doctor here who would be willing to get me an MRI and a CT. I am willing to pay for it but the protocol here says it has to be ordered from your treating oncologist. So I am trying to change my whole medical team and start clear. It's really tiresome that we have to advocate for ourselves… I could really get some help from the medical profession 

jennunicorn
                Participant

It's unfortunate that a brain MRI is not standard where you are, very frustrating as many on here would say a routine brain MRI helped save their life, since there are not always symptoms of brain mets or mets in general.

Have you never had a full body CT scan? 

jennunicorn
                  Participant

It's unfortunate that a brain MRI is not standard where you are, very frustrating as many on here would say a routine brain MRI helped save their life, since there are not always symptoms of brain mets or mets in general.

SOLE
                    Participant

Had a full bodt PET/CT in August. plus another chest CT. All negative then. Its been three months and I just about loose it now

SOLE
                      Participant

Had a full bodt PET/CT in August. plus another chest CT. All negative then. Its been three months and I just about loose it now

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Ok good. They don't do the 3 month scan interval for the first year there?

jennunicorn
                          Participant

SOLE
                            Participant

No!!!!! Am scheduled to have next scan March 2017… Hoping to be transferred to new medical center with a better team and hoping to be able to do CT and MRI of brain…

jennunicorn
                              Participant

So sorry you're having a hard time getting what you want as a patient, I've been there before with a previous health insurance company in the states. I hope you do find a great center so you can get the care that will make you feel more confident in your medical team.

jennunicorn
                                Participant

So sorry you're having a hard time getting what you want as a patient, I've been there before with a previous health insurance company in the states. I hope you do find a great center so you can get the care that will make you feel more confident in your medical team.

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

SOLE
                                    Participant

No!!!!! Am scheduled to have next scan March 2017… Hoping to be transferred to new medical center with a better team and hoping to be able to do CT and MRI of brain…

SOLE
                                      Participant

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

SOLE
                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                            Participant

SOLE
                                              Participant

Dear Jenn,

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

A brain MRI is standard for staging melanoma patients in the US and to get a base line image of a patient's brain for future MRI's. It should be standard in CA, if not, then definitely request one. There should be no guessing when it comes to the brain. Your headaches may have nothing to do with brain mets or anything dangerous, but there's no reason to wait and see on that. 

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

SOLE
                                                  Participant

Hi Stacey

I am from Montreal and was diagnosed last summer Stage 3b. I hope your part of the health system is better than ours in Quebec. Just awful here. 7 weeks elapsed between my derm first biopsy and my WLE and SLNB.

As for adjuvant ipi for us, it's outrageous not having it. But tell me, unless you are wealhty – which is fine – or you have some connections overthere, how would you get ipi in the states?

Let me know because I would be very interested in getting ipi myself!

Best wishes

slouttit
                                                      Participant

Hi Sole

My wait time before WLE and SNLB was closer to 10 weeks.  However my surgeon was excellent.  As for US treatment I'm assuming it would be out of pocket and prohibitively expensive.  I'm not even sure IPI is right for  me as I hear some US oncologists are reluctant to prescribe  it.  But worth looking into.

stacie

jennunicorn
                                                        Participant

Just to give you a price idea, whenever I got the bill after an infusion (I did Ipi at 10mg/kg for stage 3 adjuvant treatment) it showed the pharmacy charge which is $198,533 for 1 infusion. I didn't pay a penny of it, but without insurance and help from the pharmacutical company there's no way I could even attempt. 

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

Just to give you a price idea, whenever I got the bill after an infusion (I did Ipi at 10mg/kg for stage 3 adjuvant treatment) it showed the pharmacy charge which is $198,533 for 1 infusion. I didn't pay a penny of it, but without insurance and help from the pharmacutical company there's no way I could even attempt. 

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

slouttit
                                                              Participant

Hi Sole

My wait time before WLE and SNLB was closer to 10 weeks.  However my surgeon was excellent.  As for US treatment I'm assuming it would be out of pocket and prohibitively expensive.  I'm not even sure IPI is right for  me as I hear some US oncologists are reluctant to prescribe  it.  But worth looking into.

stacie

slouttit
                                                                Participant

Hi Sole

stacie

SOLE
                                                                Participant

Hi Stacey

I am from Montreal and was diagnosed last summer Stage 3b. I hope your part of the health system is better than ours in Quebec. Just awful here. 7 weeks elapsed between my derm first biopsy and my WLE and SLNB.

As for adjuvant ipi for us, it's outrageous not having it. But tell me, unless you are wealhty – which is fine – or you have some connections overthere, how would you get ipi in the states?

Best wishes

SOLE
                                                                  Participant

Hi Stacey

Best wishes

lmccann2016
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Hi Stacey did u have removal of nodes in neck neck disection. If so how was healing. I am swollen pretty bad left side and ts hard. No fever but my neck is tight and when I touch my neck it feels hard as rock. Will this improve I am only 5 days after surgery
                                                                      lmccann2016
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Hi Stacey did u have removal of nodes in neck neck disection. If so how was healing. I am swollen pretty bad left side and ts hard. No fever but my neck is tight and when I touch my neck it feels hard as rock. Will this improve I am only 5 days after surgery
                                                                          slouttit
                                                                          Participant

Hi Lisa,

About 5 days after my cold my neck started to swell.  My surgeon put me on antibiotics for good measure.  It took a long time to look normal again but it did happen.  I also had shoulder weakness.  Now after 5 months it is much better.  I recommend finding a good PT.  Hang in there.

Stacie

slouttit
                                                                            Participant

I meant to say CNLD. Not cold.

slouttit
                                                                              Participant

slouttit
                                                                                Participant

slouttit
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Lisa,

About 5 days after my cold my neck started to swell.  My surgeon put me on antibiotics for good measure.  It took a long time to look normal again but it did happen.  I also had shoulder weakness.  Now after 5 months it is much better.  I recommend finding a good PT.  Hang in there.

Stacie

slouttit
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Stacie

lmccann2016
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      bcl
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Stacie, have you connected with Kathy Barnard over in Vancouver at the Save Your Skin Foundation? She is a long time stage 4 survivor and is a wealth of information. 

If I read your profile correctly it looks like you live in Victoria. If Dr Bernstein is still an oncologist there I've heard she acts on patient concerns and moves with the times. Kathy would have better info though. 

Dr Smiley in Edmonton is marvellous. 

bcl
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Stacie, have you connected with Kathy Barnard over in Vancouver at the Save Your Skin Foundation? She is a long time stage 4 survivor and is a wealth of information. 

If I read your profile correctly it looks like you live in Victoria. If Dr Bernstein is still an oncologist there I've heard she acts on patient concerns and moves with the times. Kathy would have better info though. 

bcl
                                                                                          Participant

slouttit
                                                                                              Participant

Thanks for that. I will contact Kathy.   I did see Dr. Smiley in a June and he was excellent.  However he could only offer me a clinical trial comparing pembro to placebo?  I decided to go with the Vancouver trial instead but unfortunately drew interferon instead of pembro.  

slouttit
                                                                                                Participant

Thanks for that. I will contact Kathy.   I did see Dr. Smiley in a June and he was excellent.  However he could only offer me a clinical trial comparing pembro to placebo?  I decided to go with the Vancouver trial instead but unfortunately drew interferon instead of pembro.  

slouttit
                                                                                                  Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics