The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIIa 1/2 way thru year treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIIa 1/2 way thru year treatment

Participant

Hello all, 

I have almost reached my 6 months of Interferon treatment and this doesn't seem to be getting any easier. (Not sure it's supposed to.) I have ear pain, fatigue, loss of balance and migraines almost daily; I'm on Imitrex and Topamax. I drink tons of water. Also, going to try ginger root and peppermint oil. Also, noticing extreme muscle tightness in my neck, shoulders and base of my head. I hate to be negative but I have been pretty miserable lately. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to ease any of these side effects.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Andrew1725
        Participant

If you really want to continue taking Interferon, I would consider a dose reduction. I reduced my dose by 25% at about the 3 month mark, and it helped for a while to reduce the severity of some of my side effects, particularly the mental ones. I also took a couple breaks (2-3 weeks) from treatment during the course of my treatment (I made 10 months out of 12). One of the breaks was helpful, the other didn't help much at all.

You sound like you are having a very difficult time with the treatment and I'd consider stopping it all together if I were you. Fatigue is par for the course for people taking Interferon, but I think the migraines, balance issues, ear pain and extreme muscle tightness are concerning. Think about whether the relatively minor statistical benefits a person typically gets from Interferon are worth your diminished quality of life.

I did Interferon just like you because I wanted to do what I could to help myself, but I got to the point where I felt it just wasn't worth it anymore. Maybe you're at that point now.

Andrew1725
          Participant

If you really want to continue taking Interferon, I would consider a dose reduction. I reduced my dose by 25% at about the 3 month mark, and it helped for a while to reduce the severity of some of my side effects, particularly the mental ones. I also took a couple breaks (2-3 weeks) from treatment during the course of my treatment (I made 10 months out of 12). One of the breaks was helpful, the other didn't help much at all.

You sound like you are having a very difficult time with the treatment and I'd consider stopping it all together if I were you. Fatigue is par for the course for people taking Interferon, but I think the migraines, balance issues, ear pain and extreme muscle tightness are concerning. Think about whether the relatively minor statistical benefits a person typically gets from Interferon are worth your diminished quality of life.

I did Interferon just like you because I wanted to do what I could to help myself, but I got to the point where I felt it just wasn't worth it anymore. Maybe you're at that point now.

Andrew1725
            Participant

Lil0909
              Participant

Hi.  I had a lot of issues while on interferon as well.  I did the full year, and to be honest, it did not get any easier.  Regarding ear pain, I had this problem as well – caused by fluid build up behind the ears.  Dr said basically I was so congested that my ears weren't properly draining.  I went in thinking I may have an ear infection b/c the pain was so bad.  I took an allergy pill – zyrtec – the entire time on treatment to help with congestion and increased allergies, and when ear pain was bad, I added sudafed.  I took a sudafed every day the last month of treatment b/c it got so bad.  I also had balance problems.  Fluid in ears can contribute to balance issues.  I suggest having someone check out your ears to see if this may help.  I just went to my local urgent care. 

Lil0909
                Participant

Hi.  I had a lot of issues while on interferon as well.  I did the full year, and to be honest, it did not get any easier.  Regarding ear pain, I had this problem as well – caused by fluid build up behind the ears.  Dr said basically I was so congested that my ears weren't properly draining.  I went in thinking I may have an ear infection b/c the pain was so bad.  I took an allergy pill – zyrtec – the entire time on treatment to help with congestion and increased allergies, and when ear pain was bad, I added sudafed.  I took a sudafed every day the last month of treatment b/c it got so bad.  I also had balance problems.  Fluid in ears can contribute to balance issues.  I suggest having someone check out your ears to see if this may help.  I just went to my local urgent care. 

Lil0909
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics