The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage III question

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage III question

Participant

Hello,

My name is Diane. I couldn't get a username with Diane, So i used Daisy who is my dog. I am a little confused. I had a biopsy of mole 02/15. It came back as a 2.25 Melanoma. I had surgery WLE and SNB. They did not find anything in my lympnodes. So I have been seeing myDermatologist every three months. Long story short I have a very strong family melanoma historyy Dad had occular melanoma, my sister had 8 primary Melanoma's and my brother had a 1.0 Melanoma. We were used in a study and it turns out we have a BAP1 mutation, which causes increased risk for Melanoma. I had been seeing my dermatologist at MGH Boston. last month i found a lump under my arm and was referred to medical oncology.When i went for my appointment the lump is an enlarged lymph node, but not too big, so he decided we watch it. What he said he was concerned about was that I had MICRoSatellites in my original biopsy. He said that microsattelites, in transit mets, macro satellites, are Melanoma cells that had begun to metastasize away from the primary tumor. He said that tells him it is an agressive Melanoma and that makes me Stage III. I am to see him every 3 months and scans every six months. I am scheduled OCT 12th for Brain MRI, CT SCAN of chest,Abdomen and pelvis . I will be asking my derm, but I don't understand why I wasn't told this in February. I did find information online that states it is a stage three diagnosis. I have a question ? 

Has anyone else had a Melanoma with satellites and what treatment if any are you doing ?

Thank You!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Marianne quinn
        Participant

Seems like you should get a second opinion.. From what I've read on this forum, it seems like watch and wait is not aggressive enough.

Marianne quinn
          Participant

Seems like you should get a second opinion.. From what I've read on this forum, it seems like watch and wait is not aggressive enough.

Marianne quinn
            Participant

ET-SF
              Participant

I think intransit melanoma is often a judgment call, and it's got its own weird little Stage III designation.  ET's surgeon felt she was a IIb, but the oncologist staged her at IIIb on the basis of microsatellite clusters.  I wouldn''t call your initial staging as II an error, so much as a difference of opinion.

ET has just started a vaccine trial — the Polynoma POL-103a vaccine.  She felt this was a preferable approach to interferon.  We were too late for the ipilimumab vs. nivolumab trial, which was closed only days before we inquired about it.

It is doubtful you qualify for any treatment trials, as you are long past your surgery.  I suspect your only treatment option is interferon.  You could of course just monitor.

Daisy2004
                  Participant

Thank You so much, that actually makes me feel a little better. I am going to see how my scans come out I am praying they wil be ok and take it from there

Daisy2004
                    Participant

Thank You so much, that actually makes me feel a little better. I am going to see how my scans come out I am praying they wil be ok and take it from there

Daisy2004
                      Participant

ET-SF
                      Participant

I think intransit melanoma is often a judgment call, and it's got its own weird little Stage III designation.  ET's surgeon felt she was a IIb, but the oncologist staged her at IIIb on the basis of microsatellite clusters.  I wouldn''t call your initial staging as II an error, so much as a difference of opinion.

ET has just started a vaccine trial — the Polynoma POL-103a vaccine.  She felt this was a preferable approach to interferon.  We were too late for the ipilimumab vs. nivolumab trial, which was closed only days before we inquired about it.

It is doubtful you qualify for any treatment trials, as you are long past your surgery.  I suspect your only treatment option is interferon.  You could of course just monitor.

ET-SF
                        Participant

KimW
                          Participant

Hi Diane!

My husband was diagnosed last November with melanoma on his scalp that was 1.25 and had the WLE and SNB on December 8. They took nodes from both sides of his neck since the dye drained to both. Everything came back clear and the edges were clean. Then in January while we were there for the surgery follow up, the doctor noticed a suspicious lesion about 2 inches from the scar. They did a biopsy and it was a satellite intransit. This changed his stage from a 1b to a 3b. 🙁

He had a brain MRI and PET scan in February and has had PET scans and neck ultrasounds every three months. So far the scans have all been clear, thank God! But, also since then, he's had 2 more intransits on his head. (Total of 3 so far in 2015)  Each time I notice a new spot we go to have them look and they do a biopsy. They are very small so the punch biopsy comes back with clean edges. Not sure that matters really because obviously there are still tiny cells in his system that are causing these to keep cropping up. 

We had the scans and doctor visits this past Tuesday and I showed them yet another spot that we are awaiting biopsy results on. I hope this one was not melanoma as it looked different than the others. It's like we are playing a game of "whack a mole". I ask about treatments each time and they are still advising him to stay in "watch closely" status. Both doctors say that he has such a small amount of disease which gives them nothing to "treat". They said he'd be a great candidate for a vaccine but he has to produce a larger lesion first? Ipi was mentioned but again, they still said its best to watch and wait at this time. He is being treated at MD Anderson and I really trust them but it's so hard to sit back and not do something to fight this. 

if you learn of something to try, please let me know! It's so tricky not knowing what we're dealing with regarding those cells left behind. 

Kim

KimW
                            Participant

Hi Diane!

My husband was diagnosed last November with melanoma on his scalp that was 1.25 and had the WLE and SNB on December 8. They took nodes from both sides of his neck since the dye drained to both. Everything came back clear and the edges were clean. Then in January while we were there for the surgery follow up, the doctor noticed a suspicious lesion about 2 inches from the scar. They did a biopsy and it was a satellite intransit. This changed his stage from a 1b to a 3b. 🙁

He had a brain MRI and PET scan in February and has had PET scans and neck ultrasounds every three months. So far the scans have all been clear, thank God! But, also since then, he's had 2 more intransits on his head. (Total of 3 so far in 2015)  Each time I notice a new spot we go to have them look and they do a biopsy. They are very small so the punch biopsy comes back with clean edges. Not sure that matters really because obviously there are still tiny cells in his system that are causing these to keep cropping up. 

We had the scans and doctor visits this past Tuesday and I showed them yet another spot that we are awaiting biopsy results on. I hope this one was not melanoma as it looked different than the others. It's like we are playing a game of "whack a mole". I ask about treatments each time and they are still advising him to stay in "watch closely" status. Both doctors say that he has such a small amount of disease which gives them nothing to "treat". They said he'd be a great candidate for a vaccine but he has to produce a larger lesion first? Ipi was mentioned but again, they still said its best to watch and wait at this time. He is being treated at MD Anderson and I really trust them but it's so hard to sit back and not do something to fight this. 

if you learn of something to try, please let me know! It's so tricky not knowing what we're dealing with regarding those cells left behind. 

Kim

KimW
                              Participant

Hi Diane!

Kim

Daisy2004
                                  Participant

Hi Kim, Thank you for sharing this. It is so frustrating. That is what they tell me watch closely. I am being seen at MGH in Boston and I really trust them to, If i learn something new I will definitely pass it on and if you could do the same as well. I will keep your husband in my prayers as well.

Daisy2004
                                    Participant

Hi Kim, Thank you for sharing this. It is so frustrating. That is what they tell me watch closely. I am being seen at MGH in Boston and I really trust them to, If i learn something new I will definitely pass it on and if you could do the same as well. I will keep your husband in my prayers as well.

KimW
                                      Participant

It is so frustrating and scary! I understand their theory of needing to "see" something to treat but it's so hard to just sit and wait for the unknown. I wish there was something more to do at this stage. We were advised against interferon because of the high toxicity and not a great chance of it helping. I'm sorry you're facing this but I am glad to know you and find another who has these satellite intransits. I don't see many who mention them. I'll also keep you in my prayers! 

KimW
                                        Participant

It is so frustrating and scary! I understand their theory of needing to "see" something to treat but it's so hard to just sit and wait for the unknown. I wish there was something more to do at this stage. We were advised against interferon because of the high toxicity and not a great chance of it helping. I'm sorry you're facing this but I am glad to know you and find another who has these satellite intransits. I don't see many who mention them. I'll also keep you in my prayers! 

davekarrie
                                          Participant

Yeah, this disease as so tricky and sneaky it really makes me mad.  My original diagnoses was about 5 years ago, 1.5mm, mitotic 4 and clarks 4, went to 1 node micro, put me at stage IIIa, scans good for 2 years then we "watched".  Well, its back now and in lungs/neck/abdomen and liver at least.  My advice is be as agreessive as you can.  I had a chance to do interfuron but didn't, looking back I would have chosen to do even with the small chance of it working. Best of luck as we battle this beast!

Daisy2004
                                            Participant

Thank you Dave, It is so scary, how it affects everyone differently. I think I had a false sense of securitybecause my sisters first Melanoma was 14 years ago and the last 6 years ago. i thought we have the same gene mutation, my father was 15 years survivor of  occular melanoma. This news really made me realize that  none of us are a statistic and each and every patient reacts differently. I wish you the best of luck also .

Daisy2004
                                              Participant

Thank you Dave, It is so scary, how it affects everyone differently. I think I had a false sense of securitybecause my sisters first Melanoma was 14 years ago and the last 6 years ago. i thought we have the same gene mutation, my father was 15 years survivor of  occular melanoma. This news really made me realize that  none of us are a statistic and each and every patient reacts differently. I wish you the best of luck also .

Daisy2004
                                                Participant

davekarrie
                                                  Participant

Yeah, this disease as so tricky and sneaky it really makes me mad.  My original diagnoses was about 5 years ago, 1.5mm, mitotic 4 and clarks 4, went to 1 node micro, put me at stage IIIa, scans good for 2 years then we "watched".  Well, its back now and in lungs/neck/abdomen and liver at least.  My advice is be as agreessive as you can.  I had a chance to do interfuron but didn't, looking back I would have chosen to do even with the small chance of it working. Best of luck as we battle this beast!

davekarrie
                                                    Participant

KimW
                                                      Participant

Daisy2004
                                                        Participant

washoegal
                                                        Participant

Diane,

I know you are frightened but there are a few things to keep in mind.

1.  The lump has not been confirmed as melanoma.

2.  lymph nodes will enlarge for a variety of reasons.  Could be a reaction fro you SNB, could be an infection, ect.  Thus the watch and wait.

3.  The stage of 3a was so your insurance would pay for scans!

I think the medical Onc is looking at your family history and being as aggressive as he can.  If the lymph node lights up under a scan or grows quickly that's the time to push for a biopsy.

Good luck,

Mary stage 3a

6 year survivor.

washoegal
                                                          Participant

Diane,

2.  lymph nodes will enlarge for a variety of reasons.  Could be a reaction fro you SNB, could be an infection, ect.  Thus the watch and wait.

I think the medical Onc is looking at your family history and being as aggressive as he can.  If the lymph node lights up under a scan or grows quickly that's the time to push for a biopsy.

Good luck,

Mary stage 3a

6 year survivor.

washoegal
                                                            Participant

Diane,

Good luck,

Mary stage 3a

6 year survivor.

Daisy2004
                                                                Participant

Hi Mary, Thank you for your kind comments. I had a pretty large seroma after my SNB and I wonder if that is what the lump is from. I am trying to stay positive and everyone's comments have eased my fear. i think I will feel even better after the 13th as long as my scans come back clean and if not I will face it one day at a time

Daisy2004
                                                                  Participant

Hi Mary, Thank you for your kind comments. I had a pretty large seroma after my SNB and I wonder if that is what the lump is from. I am trying to stay positive and everyone's comments have eased my fear. i think I will feel even better after the 13th as long as my scans come back clean and if not I will face it one day at a time

Daisy2004
                                                                    Participant

washoegal
                                                                      Participant

I know the 13th seems like a very long way off.  I hope you don't have a long wait for the scan results.  I had a seroma too from my CLND but obvious not further lumps since no lymph nodes.  It is kind of a pain not having lymph nodes in one arm so if avoidable, it's a good thing.  But for the peace of mind it gave me, I am still glad I did it. 

You have enough family that has been though this that you should know your first year is going to be the hardest.  You probably have an excellent resource for doctors also.  Try not to pay too much attention to those that tell you about going so many year then it pops up again.  It still sits in the back of my mind, but I know that it really is not healthy and does nothing to prevent anything.  Positive attitude is a whole lot better, though it does take some time to get there.

Mary

washoegal
                                                                        Participant

I know the 13th seems like a very long way off.  I hope you don't have a long wait for the scan results.  I had a seroma too from my CLND but obvious not further lumps since no lymph nodes.  It is kind of a pain not having lymph nodes in one arm so if avoidable, it's a good thing.  But for the peace of mind it gave me, I am still glad I did it. 

You have enough family that has been though this that you should know your first year is going to be the hardest.  You probably have an excellent resource for doctors also.  Try not to pay too much attention to those that tell you about going so many year then it pops up again.  It still sits in the back of my mind, but I know that it really is not healthy and does nothing to prevent anything.  Positive attitude is a whole lot better, though it does take some time to get there.

Mary

washoegal
                                                                          Participant

Mary

mrsaxde
                                                                          Participant

Hi Diane. Here's my concise history with Stage III.

Diagnosed 1/2013, 6.2mm primary, a mole on my back that my PCP didn't think was anything. He was wrong.

Wide area excision/SLNB 2/2013. One sentinel node had microscopic cancer cells.

Left axillary lymph node dissection 3/2013. All were clear. I was sent to see Dr. Sharfman at Johns Hopkins for his advice. He suggested Sylatron (interferon) but he also said that "watch and wait" would be acceptable for me. Being someone who likes to try anything that is recommended, I elected Sylatron. I took one dose, and got so sick that I said I didn't want to live feeling that way, and stopped.

All clear until 8/2014. I had noticed several lumps under my skin near the original excision. My surgeon ordered a new PET scan and that confirmed more melanoma. More surgery, 9/2014. When the dressing came off, I had two new visible spots on my skin near what had been removed. None of my doctors could believe they were melanoma, because they had not been detected on the scan just about 6 weeks prior. My dermatologist was convinced one was a cyst. So it was back for another PET scan, and it was inconclusive because the spots weren't large enough to light up. That one also found a 7mm lesion on my lung. A return visit to Dr. Sharfman, who told me "The skin spots may or may not be melanoma, but the spot on your lung is almost certainly the real deal." The spots on my back continued to grow. And they were joined by several other small spots

That led to Yervoy starting last November. I had a partial response. It held things in check, stopped them from growing, but aside from a small reduction in size of the lung lesion, nothing got smaller. I finished Yervoy in January.

In June, I noticed two more small spots near the others. Both my regular oncologist and Dr. Sharfman had said in the spring that we needed to give Yervoy more time to work, since it produces delayed responses in some people. But when my oncologist saw the new ones, he started me on Keytruda.

I've had 4 infusions of Keytruda, and it's working. The spot in my lung, plus three more that were detected on a CT scan in May have all shrunk. The spots on my skin are all shrinking. And there was nothing new on my latest scan 2 weeks ago.

Everybody's journey through this is different, of course. Like you, I started out at IIIb, and that's how mine was handled.

-Bill

mrsaxde
                                                                            Participant

Diagnosed 1/2013, 6.2mm primary, a mole on my back that my PCP didn't think was anything. He was wrong.

Left axillary lymph node dissection 3/2013. All were clear. I was sent to see Dr. Sharfman at Johns Hopkins for his advice. He suggested Sylatron (interferon) but he also said that "watch and wait" would be acceptable for me. Being someone who likes to try anything that is recommended, I elected Sylatron. I took one dose, and got so sick that I said I didn't want to live feeling that way, and stopped.

All clear until 8/2014. I had noticed several lumps under my skin near the original excision. My surgeon ordered a new PET scan and that confirmed more melanoma. More surgery, 9/2014. When the dressing came off, I had two new visible spots on my skin near what had been removed. None of my doctors could believe they were melanoma, because they had not been detected on the scan just about 6 weeks prior. My dermatologist was convinced one was a cyst. So it was back for another PET scan, and it was inconclusive because the spots weren't large enough to light up. That one also found a 7mm lesion on my lung. A return visit to Dr. Sharfman, who told me "The skin spots may or may not be melanoma, but the spot on your lung is almost certainly the real deal." The spots on my back continued to grow. And they were joined by several other small spots

That led to Yervoy starting last November. I had a partial response. It held things in check, stopped them from growing, but aside from a small reduction in size of the lung lesion, nothing got smaller. I finished Yervoy in January.

In June, I noticed two more small spots near the others. Both my regular oncologist and Dr. Sharfman had said in the spring that we needed to give Yervoy more time to work, since it produces delayed responses in some people. But when my oncologist saw the new ones, he started me on Keytruda.

I've had 4 infusions of Keytruda, and it's working. The spot in my lung, plus three more that were detected on a CT scan in May have all shrunk. The spots on my skin are all shrinking. And there was nothing new on my latest scan 2 weeks ago.

Everybody's journey through this is different, of course. Like you, I started out at IIIb, and that's how mine was handled.

-Bill

mrsaxde
                                                                              Participant

-Bill

Daisy2004
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Bill, I am so happy to hear that the keytruda is working for you. That is wonderful news. I am happy that I found this site. You all have helped me with your information. I will post after the 13th, hopefully with good News! Thank you again, Diane

Daisy2004
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Bill, I am so happy to hear that the keytruda is working for you. That is wonderful news. I am happy that I found this site. You all have helped me with your information. I will post after the 13th, hopefully with good News! Thank you again, Diane

Daisy2004
                                                                                      Participant

katie1
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Diane,

You've gotten lots of good advice.  My husband did have intransit/sattelitosis found in his initial biopsy.  Because he had a deep lesion (almost 12mm and it was ulcerated) he was diagnosed IIIC (T4bN2cM0).  He is participating in the Ipi vs. Interferon trial (he had Ipi).  If your lymph node is found to have melanoma and it is surgically removed then I think you might qualify for some of the Stage III trials (Ipi vs. Nivo or Anti PDL-1 vs Placebo etc.)

Best,

Kate

katie1
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Diane,

You've gotten lots of good advice.  My husband did have intransit/sattelitosis found in his initial biopsy.  Because he had a deep lesion (almost 12mm and it was ulcerated) he was diagnosed IIIC (T4bN2cM0).  He is participating in the Ipi vs. Interferon trial (he had Ipi).  If your lymph node is found to have melanoma and it is surgically removed then I think you might qualify for some of the Stage III trials (Ipi vs. Nivo or Anti PDL-1 vs Placebo etc.)

Best,

Kate

katie1
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Diane,

Best,

Kate

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics