The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage IIC – what are the options?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage IIC – what are the options?

Participant

I was diagnosed in October with melanoma.  The tumor was greater than 4mm deep (T4b) and was ulcerated.  The surgeon was not able to get large margins due to the location.  It would have left me with a permanent colostomy bag.  My sentinel lymph node biopsy did not show any lymph node involvement and my PET scan showed no mets. As I understand that would put me at a Stage IIC.  I am having a hard time figuring out what the treatment options are after the initial tumor removal.  Does anyone have any input?  Thanks in advance.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Clinical trial would be your best bet and second choice would be close follow up to check for progression with oncologist. Pretty sure MD Anderson is running some 2c trials of immunotherapy or targeted therapy drugs. Best Wishes!!! Ed

RenoRN
            Participant

Thank you!

Joycem
            Participant

Diagnosed 2c in July of 2016, just close follow up with derm and oncologist. (Chest xrays and bloodwork)  Oncologist suggested interferon which I declined. At 2.5  years post diagnosis I now see derm every 6 months. Wishing you well. -Joyce

RenoRN
                Participant

Joyce,

May I ask why you declined interferon?  Just curious.  I see the oncologist again in a few weeks but we do not have an oncologist that specializes in melanoma here.  Hopefully soon, I will be seeing a melanoma-specific oncologist.  It is encouraging to hear you are doing well.

Thank you.

ed williams
                  Participant

Interferon is super toxic and has not show any survival benefit over placebo!!! The only small group who have had any kind of benefit were ulcerated patients and then it was only a small improvement in progression free survival not overall survival. I will take a look and see if I can find some data for you. Who exactly am I talking to any ways???

RenoRN
                    Participant

Ed,

Is there a way to contact you privately?  I am not comfortable having my information out there just yet. 

Thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics