The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage 4 melenoma south africa

Forums General Melanoma Community stage 4 melenoma south africa

Participant

Hi All

My wife 33 years old , had 2 moles removed 18 month ago witch tested positive with melanoma, the doctors said they removed all and she is fine.

She complained about her hip and after about a month of seeing one Dr after the other the scan showed a tumor in the hip.

After waiting for 3 weeks and no treatment she went for a PET scan and the cancer is now in her hip back and liver.

Its almost  2 months now and still no treatment , we are waiting for the B-RAF test and hopefully she can join a new trial in South Africa.

I read about YERVOY is it available in south Africa ? Do the medical aids pay for it and is it an option ?

The Dr said surgery is not an option and chemotherapy is not very successful , can you please give me some advice and hope ?

Thank you

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

Hi there, I am so sorry for what you are experiencing right now and the frustration that must accompany the long wait! I do not know anything about how the health system works in Africa…I hope you she can get treatments started very soon. Zelboraf, when it works, does so pretty quickly and can be a great thing to start with when disease needs to get under conrol quickly. The Yervoy works more slowly as it ramps up the uimmune system. The results with zelboraf are often temporary, but it can be a tremendous blessing for getting thins under control to give time for abother reatment to wrok ( like yervoy). I hope you have someone over there you can get a hold of to advocate and help you get her into the reatments she needs soon!

Tina

Wally
            Participant

Hi there, where in SA do you live. I am in Johannesburg and was diagnosed metastatic stage 4 in 2011 in the middle lobe of my right lung. Primary was my right ear. The tumor was successfully removed by sectional resection and I remain NED up to now. If you are in Johannesburg, I could recommend Dr Geldenhuys at the Flora Clinic (West Rand Oncology Centre) Post surgery treatment was discussed with me and she also said that Chemo / Radiation is not very successful with Melanoma. IPI was suggested but we decided on a wait and see strategy which has worked so far. The point is she is pretty clued up about the various options for Trials and which medical aids will cover such treatments. Where is your wife being treated?

I really wish you guys the best of luck and a speedy solution as treatment should really start ASAP if surgery cannot be performed.

All the best. Wally.

Wally
              Participant

Hi there, where in SA do you live. I am in Johannesburg and was diagnosed metastatic stage 4 in 2011 in the middle lobe of my right lung. Primary was my right ear. The tumor was successfully removed by sectional resection and I remain NED up to now. If you are in Johannesburg, I could recommend Dr Geldenhuys at the Flora Clinic (West Rand Oncology Centre) Post surgery treatment was discussed with me and she also said that Chemo / Radiation is not very successful with Melanoma. IPI was suggested but we decided on a wait and see strategy which has worked so far. The point is she is pretty clued up about the various options for Trials and which medical aids will cover such treatments. Where is your wife being treated?

I really wish you guys the best of luck and a speedy solution as treatment should really start ASAP if surgery cannot be performed.

All the best. Wally.

Wally
                Participant

All the best. Wally.

Tina D
                Participant

Hi there, I am so sorry for what you are experiencing right now and the frustration that must accompany the long wait! I do not know anything about how the health system works in Africa…I hope you she can get treatments started very soon. Zelboraf, when it works, does so pretty quickly and can be a great thing to start with when disease needs to get under conrol quickly. The Yervoy works more slowly as it ramps up the uimmune system. The results with zelboraf are often temporary, but it can be a tremendous blessing for getting thins under control to give time for abother reatment to wrok ( like yervoy). I hope you have someone over there you can get a hold of to advocate and help you get her into the reatments she needs soon!

Tina

Tina D
                  Participant

Tina

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics