The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 4 high LDH levels

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 4 high LDH levels

Participant

Hello-

After my father in law noticed a small lump on his side in spring of 2013 his GP doctor told him to watch it. Fast forward to January 2014 and he had the lump removed. It was a melanoma tumor the size of a softball. Scans later reviewed he had lung mets along with additional spots on his spine, bone, liver, splean, and abdomin. They did one round of Ipi before learning he had a BRAF mutation. He was put on the Mek combo and his LDH levels seemed to return to normal in April, may & June after being in the mid 700's. Two weeks ago he had an onc appointment and although his scans showed to be mostly stable he had two soft tissue spots grow on his right side and his LDH level was back to mid 700's. The onc started him on Ipi today, but his blood work showed almost a 900 LDH level. My concern now is he is already in so much pain (on morphine and delada) with it so far progressed I don't know if he will be around to see if the Ipi had worked. We have a great melanoma oncologist at a great facility I'm just concerned it's too late. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        HelenQLD
        Participant

My understanding from my mum's experience (her LDH level was in the mid 1000's by the time she found out she had stage iv mestastised) is that LDH levels are an indication of cell growth.  They aren't reliable but can be an indication that something is going on.  LDH levels fluctuate during chemo because cells are being killed and good cells, as well as bad sometimes, are regrowing/growing.  If someone has a high LDH level then, in my opinion things should be getting looked at closer, especially if the patient has had melanoma in the past such as my mum did.

In saying that it doesn't always mean anything bad. 

rick1981
            Participant

Hello,

My wife's LDH were 2100 (?!) when diagnosed with mets. She's now down to 450 after 3 weeks on dabrafenib and tremetinib. Will keep you posted.

rick1981
              Participant

After 7 weeks on dabrafenin & trametinib my wife's LDH values kept decreasing to close to 400. Yesterday she had her latest results: "partial response" on the CT scan, so good news. The doctor said the blood also looked good, but I noticed that LDH values actually increased to 600+. I didn't want to spoil the good news moment so I didn't ask, but the increased LDH worries me as it typically signals tumor growth.

However, I read just now that an increased LDH value can be positive -> that they signal increased liver activity because the liver is busy processing/thrashing dead tumor cells? Does that make sense? Can it be a positive thing?

Thanks for your advice. And yes, I'll ask the doctor too next time ๐Ÿ™‚

rick1981
                Participant

After 7 weeks on dabrafenin & trametinib my wife's LDH values kept decreasing to close to 400. Yesterday she had her latest results: "partial response" on the CT scan, so good news. The doctor said the blood also looked good, but I noticed that LDH values actually increased to 600+. I didn't want to spoil the good news moment so I didn't ask, but the increased LDH worries me as it typically signals tumor growth.

However, I read just now that an increased LDH value can be positive -> that they signal increased liver activity because the liver is busy processing/thrashing dead tumor cells? Does that make sense? Can it be a positive thing?

rick1981
                  Participant

rick1981
                    Participant

Hello,

My wife's LDH were 2100 (?!) when diagnosed with mets. She's now down to 450 after 3 weeks on dabrafenib and tremetinib. Will keep you posted.

rick1981
                      Participant

Hello,

HelenQLD
                      Participant

My understanding from my mum's experience (her LDH level was in the mid 1000's by the time she found out she had stage iv mestastised) is that LDH levels are an indication of cell growth.  They aren't reliable but can be an indication that something is going on.  LDH levels fluctuate during chemo because cells are being killed and good cells, as well as bad sometimes, are regrowing/growing.  If someone has a high LDH level then, in my opinion things should be getting looked at closer, especially if the patient has had melanoma in the past such as my mum did.

HelenQLD
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics