The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3C-Options of Treatment after Surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3C-Options of Treatment after Surgery

Hi!

A friend of mine aged about 60 years has been diagnosed with Melanoma Left Heel with left Inguino Pelvic. She underwent a surgery  which was wide local excision of Heel Lesion with superficial and Deep Ingunial Block Dissection with Left Pelvic Lymphnode Dissection with Heel Defect Reconstruction with Medial Plantar Flap.

Post surgery, doctor has kept her under observation with regular CT scans and blood tests on a 6 week basis with no other treatment of chemotheraphy, radiation therpahy or interferons. I am a bit concerned if this is alright as how will the spread contain without treatment.

Can anyone please advice. Also what all food intake can help contain the spread.

Look forward.

Best

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      dodgedh2
      Participant

I was diagnosed at Stage 4 (unknown primary). Surgical removal and Gamma radiation at surgery. No followup treatment also, only regular CT scans at first. Studies have shown that surgical removal can arrest or lead to long-term NED. I have been NED for about 6 years now. My oncologist (and I suspect yours) wanted to see if melanoma would recur first, prior to beginning any further treatment. And also determine how aggressive the melanoma was. Treatments can often bring about many other complications and stress on your system. Some indications are that treatment may not be as effective if melanoma returns post-treatment, therefore, they may like to hold treatment in reserve in case it does return. In my case, and with some Case Studies, melanoma has not returned, and if it does, I will have a wider range of options for treatment.

dodgedh2
        Participant

I was diagnosed at Stage 4 (unknown primary). Surgical removal and Gamma radiation at surgery. No followup treatment also, only regular CT scans at first. Studies have shown that surgical removal can arrest or lead to long-term NED. I have been NED for about 6 years now. My oncologist (and I suspect yours) wanted to see if melanoma would recur first, prior to beginning any further treatment. And also determine how aggressive the melanoma was. Treatments can often bring about many other complications and stress on your system. Some indications are that treatment may not be as effective if melanoma returns post-treatment, therefore, they may like to hold treatment in reserve in case it does return. In my case, and with some Case Studies, melanoma has not returned, and if it does, I will have a wider range of options for treatment.

dodgedh2
          Participant

Thanks a lot for your reply. Really helped. Any advice on diet, lifestyle that you feel can be useful?

Stay blessed!

Marianne quinn
              Participant

Did she have positive lymph nodes?

Yes. In pelvic lymphnode dissection, 7/10 were positive. In Inguinal lymphnode dissection, 8/10 were positive. Are these a high no?

Yes. In pelvic lymphnode dissection, 7/10 were positive. In Inguinal lymphnode dissection, 8/10 were positive. Are these a high no?

Marianne quinn
                Participant

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

kylez
                    Participant

the classics–

moderate exercise. an MD Anderson podcast said this is the single most healthy change one can make to improve body's fight against  cancer.

adequate sleep

dietary moderation (e.g. more fruits/veggies, less frui/sugar drinks, etc.) where i live it's easy to get healthy ethnic foods. i don't believe in extreme diets/diet changes.

if possible reduce stresses somewhat.

kylez
                      Participant

the classics–

moderate exercise. an MD Anderson podcast said this is the single most healthy change one can make to improve body's fight against  cancer.

adequate sleep

dietary moderation (e.g. more fruits/veggies, less frui/sugar drinks, etc.) where i live it's easy to get healthy ethnic foods. i don't believe in extreme diets/diet changes.

kylez
                        Participant

the classics–

adequate sleep

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Really helped. Any advice on diet, lifestyle that you feel can be useful?

Stay blessed!

Stay blessed!

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Did they use the term "Acral Lentigimous Melanoma?   

What is acral lentiginous melanoma ?

Acral lentiginous melanoma is a form of melanoma characterised by its site of origin: palm, sole, or beneath the nail (subungual melanoma). It is more common on feet than on hands. It can arise de novo in normal-appearing skin, or it can develop within an existing melanocytic naevus (mole).

The tumor tissue should be checked for having the C-kit oncoprotein overexpression and if posittive the c-kit DNA mutation test should be done.  This is more likely to have C-kit than the BRAF DNA mutation.  If one knows the mutation then if there is a further spread one can be ready to jump on it.  The C-kit DNA muttion test can tae up to a month to be completed.  I have been on a C-kit targeted chemo drug for over 5 years now.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Acral lentiginous melanoma is a form of melanoma characterised by its site of origin: palm, sole, or beneath the nail (subungual melanoma). It is more common on feet than on hands. It can arise de novo in normal-appearing skin, or it can develop within an existing melanocytic naevus (mole).

The tumor tissue should be checked for having the C-kit oncoprotein overexpression and if posittive the c-kit DNA mutation test should be done.  This is more likely to have C-kit than the BRAF DNA mutation.  If one knows the mutation then if there is a further spread one can be ready to jump on it.  The C-kit DNA muttion test can tae up to a month to be completed.  I have been on a C-kit targeted chemo drug for over 5 years now.

Thanks Jerry for the reply. Really helped. Yes, the primary tumor site is the sole of the left feet. which was of upto 3mm (Clark's level IV) . The stage is III-C. I battle everyday to find out how bad this is as docs have nothing to say about her life expectancy. All they say is it is quite an aggressive form of cancer and they cant really comment.  I weep everyday . It scares the hell out of me.

Surgery was wide local excision of Heel Lesion with superficial and Deep Ingunial Block Dissection with Left Pelvic Lymphnode Dissection. I am very worried as the doctors have kept him under -observation and asked for CT scans and Blood tests etc  every 6 weeks. No treatment yet. Is this approach right?

Thanks Jerry for the reply. Really helped. Yes, the primary tumor site is the sole of the left feet. which was of upto 3mm (Clark's level IV) . The stage is III-C. I battle everyday to find out how bad this is as docs have nothing to say about her life expectancy. All they say is it is quite an aggressive form of cancer and they cant really comment.  I weep everyday . It scares the hell out of me.

Surgery was wide local excision of Heel Lesion with superficial and Deep Ingunial Block Dissection with Left Pelvic Lymphnode Dissection. I am very worried as the doctors have kept him under -observation and asked for CT scans and Blood tests etc  every 6 weeks. No treatment yet. Is this approach right?

Marianne quinn
                              Participant

Go  get a second  opinion NOW!

Marianne quinn
                                Participant

Marianne quinn
                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics