The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3c melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3c melanoma

Participant

My 35 year old son was diagnosed with stage 3c melanoma in November 2018. He has blue cross blue shield insurance and just received letter from them that they will no longer pay for his IV nivolumab immunotherapy after September of 2919. He is supposed to be on this treatment for two years, he started first treatment in January of 2019. I told him to have his oncologist write an appeal letter to insurance company. Does anyone have any advice on what steps we can take so my son can continue treatments, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Barbdillon1115
        Participant

Sorry I had typo insurance wants to only pay until Sept 2019 

kst
          Participant

Stage 3-C resected melanoma should be 1 year of treatment.  That is the standard of care used in clinical trials.  Sometimes the insurance company will pre approve for only six months and then send another approval later.  I will bet the docs will get it worked out..

Susanne

kst
              Participant

BCBS-Texas would only approve my treatment in 3 month blocks

Susanne

KellyH
              Participant

I also have Blue Cross and Blue Shield…and my son’s Nivo treatments were approved 6 months at a time. He completes his one year of adjuvant treatment this May. 

I think the doctors should be able to work it out with the insurance company based on what is the standard of care for Stage 3c. 

Good luck and best wishes for a successful course of treatment!!!! 

Kelly 🙂 

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics