The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3B – 9 years out – good X-Ray

Forums Caregiver Community Stage 3B – 9 years out – good X-Ray

Participant

Just wanted to post that my yearly scan was clear and now almost 9 years out since progressing back in August of 2004.  Blood tests will be done next week.

Lately, I have been reduced to chest X-rays on an annual basis, after going through all the frequent Ct & PET scans in the early years.

Just wanted to post that my yearly scan was clear and now almost 9 years out since progressing back in August of 2004.  Blood tests will be done next week.

Lately, I have been reduced to chest X-rays on an annual basis, after going through all the frequent Ct & PET scans in the early years.

I had my recurrence from a stage 1A lesion on my right upper arm in 2004 after a 5 year interval, and then had 17 nodes removed from my right axilla with 1 macro sized positive node, followed by 5 doses of radiation, followed by 10 shots of the mel43 vaccine in a clinical phase 2 trial developed at UVA.  I started a supplement in 2004 regiment that I pretty much keep up every day with mostly items from the Vitamin Shoppe.  Lymphedema developed in my right arm and I wear a compression sleeve and sometimes I use the FlexiTouch masage machine but my arm garment is pretty much ruined from wear.

Very few stage 1A lesions recur overall, so I just accepted the "bad luck" as my surgeon pointed out, and moved on.

So, I am thankful to God for this grace period in this stage 3B holding pattern, and I pray for the well being of all fellow patients here and their caregivers

I hope this post gives some new patients some added hope.  Since my recurrence, I see that treatment for melanoma have been changed very rapidly and I pray that more good choices for adjuvant therapy become available to patients that have a higher risk of recurrence and that the treatments for stage 4 melanoma can halt or fully eradicate this disease.

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

Of course reading this scares the heck out of me because at 0.58mm Clark level II, I bet everyone said over and over again to you this is "low risk" "don't worry" "this can't spread", etc. . . . .  I think people have even posted studies saying level II's don't/can't spread unless extensively regressed, etc… .   I'm 1A too, 2 years out, and so I think in a few more years might this happen to me too?

JC
          Participant

Of course reading this scares the heck out of me because at 0.58mm Clark level II, I bet everyone said over and over again to you this is "low risk" "don't worry" "this can't spread", etc. . . . .  I think people have even posted studies saying level II's don't/can't spread unless extensively regressed, etc… .   I'm 1A too, 2 years out, and so I think in a few more years might this happen to me too?

mike_nj
              Participant

What I have learned over the entire ordeal is to be mindful of statistics to help put things in perspective, but also to be ready for whatever surprises come your way in life. 

So you should be very comforted by the fact that stage 1A has a quite low recurrence rate, as I stated in my main post, but once in a while patients like me pop up with the exception to the rule.  Had I not progressed to stage 3B, I would have probably left this site as do the great majority of stage 1A patients after the initial shock wears away and after some time has passed, all with no recurrence.  This site is also for patients like me that have the occasional bad break and go from there.

Every stage 1A patient is encouraged to go to followup for a number of years, to check lympth nodes and other possible changes.  Why is this the case?  it is for precisely the outlier patients like myself to catch the small percent that have residual cancerous cells and then melanoma growth.  In my case it was a lymph node very close to my primary.

Look at it the other way, when I became 3B, then I was now holding out for hope that I would make 3 years as the recurrence rates were pretty high but that time passed and I am still holding steady.  Statistics can work both ways.

if you post your email, I can send you a list of the different things I take, for better or worse

mike_nj
                Participant

What I have learned over the entire ordeal is to be mindful of statistics to help put things in perspective, but also to be ready for whatever surprises come your way in life. 

So you should be very comforted by the fact that stage 1A has a quite low recurrence rate, as I stated in my main post, but once in a while patients like me pop up with the exception to the rule.  Had I not progressed to stage 3B, I would have probably left this site as do the great majority of stage 1A patients after the initial shock wears away and after some time has passed, all with no recurrence.  This site is also for patients like me that have the occasional bad break and go from there.

Every stage 1A patient is encouraged to go to followup for a number of years, to check lympth nodes and other possible changes.  Why is this the case?  it is for precisely the outlier patients like myself to catch the small percent that have residual cancerous cells and then melanoma growth.  In my case it was a lymph node very close to my primary.

Look at it the other way, when I became 3B, then I was now holding out for hope that I would make 3 years as the recurrence rates were pretty high but that time passed and I am still holding steady.  Statistics can work both ways.

if you post your email, I can send you a list of the different things I take, for better or worse

mike_nj
                  Participant

JC
                    Participant

I think if IA patients can have residual cancer cells, then they should be offered adjuvant therapy to try & get those cells

JC
                      Participant

I think if IA patients can have residual cancer cells, then they should be offered adjuvant therapy to try & get those cells

JC
                        Participant

tinazen
                          Participant

The metal detectors can be called vehicle inspection which have a good function of car inspection and even some potential danger signals. They can bring much safety and convenience to people's life. We have to admit that the advanced technology always gives us surprise and joy.

tinazen
                            Participant

The metal detectors can be called vehicle inspection which have a good function of car inspection and even some potential danger signals. They can bring much safety and convenience to people's life. We have to admit that the advanced technology always gives us surprise and joy.

tinazen
                              Participant

JC
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

what supplements?

congratulations

JC
                                  Participant

what supplements?

congratulations

JC
                                    Participant

what supplements?

congratulations

lisab60
                                      Participant
                                        I was diagnosed stage 3, but I don’t know what letter. I am a52 yr old female in good health otherwise. My primary was on my foot, and several left groin lymph nodes were affected. The primary was removed and all my left groin lymph nodes. I am starting adjuvant treatment next week. I am very interested in hearing about the supplements you take and any diet changes. PLEASE let me know. I would also like to hear about this vaccine.
                                          mike_nj
                                          Participant

Hi

The vaccine was called mel43 and was a peptide based compound, designed to force an immune response for my blood HLA typing, which is HLA-2.

I don't think it was ever developed beyond that trial, as I guess the results were not satisfactory

Supplements include:  Pau d' Arco, Vitamin D3, Super Bio Curcumin, Purple Mushroom defense, IP6 with Inositol, AHCC, (Geen extract with proline/lysine with vitamin C which is a formula by Dr Rath, all bought separately), Resveratrol

I think some of these are on other patients list as well, such as curcumin

I eat decently when I can,  I  try to eat raspberries, blueberries, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and brocolli.

Good luck

Mike

mike_nj
                                            Participant

Hi

The vaccine was called mel43 and was a peptide based compound, designed to force an immune response for my blood HLA typing, which is HLA-2.

I don't think it was ever developed beyond that trial, as I guess the results were not satisfactory

Supplements include:  Pau d' Arco, Vitamin D3, Super Bio Curcumin, Purple Mushroom defense, IP6 with Inositol, AHCC, (Geen extract with proline/lysine with vitamin C which is a formula by Dr Rath, all bought separately), Resveratrol

I eat decently when I can,  I  try to eat raspberries, blueberries, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and brocolli.

Good luck

Mike

mike_nj
                                              Participant

Hi

Good luck

Mike

lisab60
                                              Participant
                                                I was diagnosed stage 3, but I don’t know what letter. I am a52 yr old female in good health otherwise. My primary was on my foot, and several left groin lymph nodes were affected. The primary was removed and all my left groin lymph nodes. I am starting adjuvant treatment next week. I am very interested in hearing about the supplements you take and any diet changes. PLEASE let me know. I would also like to hear about this vaccine.
                                                lisab60
                                                Participant
                                                  triciad
                                                  Participant

Mike,

It's great to hear such wonderful news…especially from the great state of NJ…I live there, too!  Prayers being sent your way for conitnued good health…God speed!

All the best,

Tricia

triciad
                                                    Participant

Mike,

It's great to hear such wonderful news…especially from the great state of NJ…I live there, too!  Prayers being sent your way for conitnued good health…God speed!

All the best,

Tricia

triciad
                                                      Participant

Mike,

All the best,

Tricia

King
                                                        Participant

Hi Mike,

Congratulations!  You've done great.  I often think of our evening chats in the Chat Room.  We had a lot of laughs.  And I can't walk by the Arm and Hammer kitty litter without thinking of you.

I hope life in general is treating you well.  Thanks for the post.

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

King
                                                          Participant

Hi Mike,

Congratulations!  You've done great.  I often think of our evening chats in the Chat Room.  We had a lot of laughs.  And I can't walk by the Arm and Hammer kitty litter without thinking of you.

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

King
                                                            Participant

Hi Mike,

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

Cindy VT
                                                              Participant

I am so happy to hear stories such as yours!  I have malignant melanoma since 1984 and had mets in 2005.

So there is every chance that you too can live a long happy life!

Best Wishes,

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                Participant

I am so happy to hear stories such as yours!  I have malignant melanoma since 1984 and had mets in 2005.

Best Wishes,

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                  Participant

Best Wishes,

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                    Participant

Very happy for your.  I'm out from 1984.  I'm so glad to hear people who are farther and farther out.

Cindy VT
                                                                      Participant

Very happy for your.  I'm out from 1984.  I'm so glad to hear people who are farther and farther out.

Cindy VT
                                                                        Participant

DebbieH
                                                                          Participant

Hello again Mike!

I am so happy to see this post and it's hard to believe it's been 9 years now – As you know, our histories are very similar except for our treatment decision.  I was 1A for 6 years and now 3C for over 11.  It just goes to show there's no right or wrong as far as which treatment we decide on!  I hope you and NED are together forever.  I miss all those late night chat sessions so many of us shared in years past.  Like King, I never see kitty litter that I don't think of you!  Good luck to you.  Thanks for posting!

DebbieH, stage 3C, NED 11+ years after interferon

DebbieH
                                                                            Participant

Hello again Mike!

I am so happy to see this post and it's hard to believe it's been 9 years now – As you know, our histories are very similar except for our treatment decision.  I was 1A for 6 years and now 3C for over 11.  It just goes to show there's no right or wrong as far as which treatment we decide on!  I hope you and NED are together forever.  I miss all those late night chat sessions so many of us shared in years past.  Like King, I never see kitty litter that I don't think of you!  Good luck to you.  Thanks for posting!

DebbieH
                                                                              Participant

Hello again Mike!

JC
                                                                                Participant

".  I was 1A for 6 years and now 3C for over 11"

yet another example. . everyone keeps telling us 1A'ers "don't worry, this will never recur"

really?

DebbieH
                                                                                    Participant

First of all, no one should ever tell you it will never recur – plainly it does. 

BUT – you need to know that this bulletin board is very lopsided in that those of us who do recur come here for support and the VAST majority of those will don't recur are off living their lives with no need of this board so of course it would look like their are more who progress than really do. 

If I found this place when I was 1A I would have gone crazy with worry (well crazier!).  With some time behind you things will be better and you won't be worrying at every little thing.  Take heart in those of us who did progress who are still going strong years later.  The way I look at it is if we can just delay delay delay, there's a better chance of a cure for all of us.

Good luck to you.  The VAST majority of stage 1A will NEVER recur – rememeber that!

DebbieH 

DebbieH
                                                                                      Participant

First of all, no one should ever tell you it will never recur – plainly it does. 

BUT – you need to know that this bulletin board is very lopsided in that those of us who do recur come here for support and the VAST majority of those will don't recur are off living their lives with no need of this board so of course it would look like their are more who progress than really do. 

If I found this place when I was 1A I would have gone crazy with worry (well crazier!).  With some time behind you things will be better and you won't be worrying at every little thing.  Take heart in those of us who did progress who are still going strong years later.  The way I look at it is if we can just delay delay delay, there's a better chance of a cure for all of us.

Good luck to you.  The VAST majority of stage 1A will NEVER recur – rememeber that!

DebbieH 

DebbieH
                                                                                        Participant

DebbieH 

Cindy VT
                                                                                          Participant

You are correct.  In 2004 my derm said I was Cured.  20 years out and cured!  It came back like gangsters in 2005.

We must be vigiliant but not let it consume our lives!. 

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                            Participant

You are correct.  In 2004 my derm said I was Cured.  20 years out and cured!  It came back like gangsters in 2005.

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                              Participant

Cindy VT

JC
                                                                                              Participant

yet another example. . everyone keeps telling us 1A'ers "don't worry, this will never recur"

really?

JC
                                                                                                Participant

really?

JC
                                                                                                  Participant

i don't understand this notion of "recur". . what does that mean?  does that mean the WLE surgery did not cure it and there are cells left behind that recur much later?  if so, then why don't we get some additional therapy after WLE to get those cells?   or does it mean brand new melanoma comes about as "recur"?

JC
                                                                                                    Participant

i don't understand this notion of "recur". . what does that mean?  does that mean the WLE surgery did not cure it and there are cells left behind that recur much later?  if so, then why don't we get some additional therapy after WLE to get those cells?   or does it mean brand new melanoma comes about as "recur"?

JC
                                                                                                      Participant

DebbieH
                                                                                                          Participant

It means that there were cells left behind but not necessarily because the surgery didn't get it all.  You could have a melanoma that starts growing downward and a few cells break off and get in the bloodstream or lymph system and drift off.  Then you have surgery and they say it's all gone.  Years later those cells that drifted off can start to grow again and that's progression, or recurrence.  It's not considered a new melanoma but is recurrent melanoma and puts you at a higher stage.  People CAN have a new melanoma however, which is a new primary and does not necessarily change your stage.  If your first one was stage 1A and the new one is stage 1A then that's still your stage. 

As to why we don't get additional therapy after the WLE – that's a good question.  Nearly every other cancer gives you something to clean up those stray cells.  I think the issue is that melanoma is pretty resistant to radiation and our other options (interferon for example) are pretty drastic (and expensive) to give to all stage 1A patients when a VERY small number would actually benefit from it.  I seriously doubt that any insurance company would cover adjuvant therapy for an early stage melanoma either.  I had a huge issue with this in the beginning as well.  Even though I was told how lucky I was to have caught it "so early" I practically begged for something more but was told there wasn't anything "more" for me at the time. 

Another way to look at this is buying TIME.  In the VERY unlikely even that you were to recur it could be years and in that time we could have better treatments.  If you went to stage 3 you could be fine after that for years (like me so far!) and in THAT time we could have better treatments.  I had to start looking at things this way or I would have gone insane. 

Again, good luck to you.  The best thing you can do is get out there and enjoy your life.  You could be here for another 80 years (I don't know your age and don't want to short-change you) and you don't want to miss one minute of it by worrying about something that's out of your control.  Get rid of the things that bring you down and live the life you want, as much as anyone can anyway.

DebbieH, stage 1A for 6 years, stage 3C for 11-1/2 years (after interferon) and still going strong! 

DebbieH
                                                                                                            Participant

It means that there were cells left behind but not necessarily because the surgery didn't get it all.  You could have a melanoma that starts growing downward and a few cells break off and get in the bloodstream or lymph system and drift off.  Then you have surgery and they say it's all gone.  Years later those cells that drifted off can start to grow again and that's progression, or recurrence.  It's not considered a new melanoma but is recurrent melanoma and puts you at a higher stage.  People CAN have a new melanoma however, which is a new primary and does not necessarily change your stage.  If your first one was stage 1A and the new one is stage 1A then that's still your stage. 

As to why we don't get additional therapy after the WLE – that's a good question.  Nearly every other cancer gives you something to clean up those stray cells.  I think the issue is that melanoma is pretty resistant to radiation and our other options (interferon for example) are pretty drastic (and expensive) to give to all stage 1A patients when a VERY small number would actually benefit from it.  I seriously doubt that any insurance company would cover adjuvant therapy for an early stage melanoma either.  I had a huge issue with this in the beginning as well.  Even though I was told how lucky I was to have caught it "so early" I practically begged for something more but was told there wasn't anything "more" for me at the time. 

Another way to look at this is buying TIME.  In the VERY unlikely even that you were to recur it could be years and in that time we could have better treatments.  If you went to stage 3 you could be fine after that for years (like me so far!) and in THAT time we could have better treatments.  I had to start looking at things this way or I would have gone insane. 

Again, good luck to you.  The best thing you can do is get out there and enjoy your life.  You could be here for another 80 years (I don't know your age and don't want to short-change you) and you don't want to miss one minute of it by worrying about something that's out of your control.  Get rid of the things that bring you down and live the life you want, as much as anyone can anyway.

DebbieH, stage 1A for 6 years, stage 3C for 11-1/2 years (after interferon) and still going strong! 

DebbieH
                                                                                                              Participant

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                Participant

According to my doctor in 2006, it was explained to me that once you have this nasty beast it is in your system.  Its up to your immune system to keep it in check.  Some people's immune system allow the disease to move forward while others keep it in check.  This is why you may see small tumors or lesions and then they are gone.  No one really know why some people survive for a long time and other's do not. 

If  you become NED, try to enjoy it as much as you can without obsessing on it.  After 21 years becoming Stage IIIB, I was sick, and I still am sick, even though I'm NED, because of side effects of this disease, which some say there are and others say there are not. 

I came on this site to find out about new therapies, because I'm not feeling well.  I have been to see my Primary Care Provider who has been with me through all of this.  I'm not ready yet to go forward.  I guess maybe I'm let's see….

scared. 

Peace be with you.

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                  Participant

According to my doctor in 2006, it was explained to me that once you have this nasty beast it is in your system.  Its up to your immune system to keep it in check.  Some people's immune system allow the disease to move forward while others keep it in check.  This is why you may see small tumors or lesions and then they are gone.  No one really know why some people survive for a long time and other's do not. 

If  you become NED, try to enjoy it as much as you can without obsessing on it.  After 21 years becoming Stage IIIB, I was sick, and I still am sick, even though I'm NED, because of side effects of this disease, which some say there are and others say there are not. 

I came on this site to find out about new therapies, because I'm not feeling well.  I have been to see my Primary Care Provider who has been with me through all of this.  I'm not ready yet to go forward.  I guess maybe I'm let's see….

scared. 

Peace be with you.

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                    Participant

scared. 

Peace be with you.

Cindy VT

JC
                                                                                                                      Participant

"once you have this nasty beast it is in your system.  Its up to your immune system to keep it in check.  Some people's immune system allow the disease to move forward while others keep it in check"

Janner/Tim:  Is this accurate??  If this is true, if this is the case. . then I really don't understand why additional therapy is not offered after surgery, to try and get the stray cells out of our systems. . I thought surgery cured most early lesions, but this is saying that once you've had it, you will always have it  and only if your immune system keeps it down will you be ok. . so none of us are actually ever cancer-free?  Then I don't understand why after surgery we are not offered additional therapy

JC
                                                                                                                        Participant

"once you have this nasty beast it is in your system.  Its up to your immune system to keep it in check.  Some people's immune system allow the disease to move forward while others keep it in check"

Janner/Tim:  Is this accurate??  If this is true, if this is the case. . then I really don't understand why additional therapy is not offered after surgery, to try and get the stray cells out of our systems. . I thought surgery cured most early lesions, but this is saying that once you've had it, you will always have it  and only if your immune system keeps it down will you be ok. . so none of us are actually ever cancer-free?  Then I don't understand why after surgery we are not offered additional therapy

JC
                                                                                                                          Participant

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                            Participant

They only go after what they can see.  Besides some of the treatments can be caustic.  Like what happened to me with high dose interferon.  It not only my doctor in 2006 who told me this, I also read this in a book and a couple of articles.

My primary care doctor and I were talking about it the other day.  That is why this disease is so infruiating.   This is also why we need more money for research.  Lots like Breast Cancer.  Its just getting the public to really think of it as something that is life threatening to them.  Hey…they still have tan salons?  Go Figure!

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                              Participant

They only go after what they can see.  Besides some of the treatments can be caustic.  Like what happened to me with high dose interferon.  It not only my doctor in 2006 who told me this, I also read this in a book and a couple of articles.

My primary care doctor and I were talking about it the other day.  That is why this disease is so infruiating.   This is also why we need more money for research.  Lots like Breast Cancer.  Its just getting the public to really think of it as something that is life threatening to them.  Hey…they still have tan salons?  Go Figure!

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                Participant

Cindy VT

JC
                                                                                                                                  Participant

The whole point of taking WIDE margins is to remove all melanoma cells with surgery. Period.

JC
                                                                                                                                    Participant

The whole point of taking WIDE margins is to remove all melanoma cells with surgery. Period.

JC
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Yes I guess that is what it is, wide margins, taking out tumors and then taking many of the lymphnode around the area that is in question.  These are all (soory my words again)  this is suppose to help us tackle the disease.

I am very sorry I obviously upset people.  I really hope the best to everyone.

I went on this site to see what is new in treatment and to maybe help others, but its seems like I have just done the opposite.  And I am sorry.

Cindy VT

kylez
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Cindy, I wouldn't worry too much about upsetting anonymous posters.

kylez
                                                                                                                                            Participant

kylez
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Yes I guess that is what it is, wide margins, taking out tumors and then taking many of the lymphnode around the area that is in question.  These are all (soory my words again)  this is suppose to help us tackle the disease.

I went on this site to see what is new in treatment and to maybe help others, but its seems like I have just done the opposite.  And I am sorry.

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Cindy VT

JC
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

how long is too late?  i was diagnosed and had WLE (1A) 2 years ago. . should I demand some kind of adjuvant therapy to get rid of stray cells?  if i don't, i might regret it in 6 years or whatever

JC
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

how long is too late?  i was diagnosed and had WLE (1A) 2 years ago. . should I demand some kind of adjuvant therapy to get rid of stray cells?  if i don't, i might regret it in 6 years or whatever

JC
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I was diagnosed in the spring of 1984.  I have no idea what level I was.  I just knew I had a biopsy, then they took out a huge amount of skin around my wrist and said I needed more therapy.    I had 2 small kids.  I just didn't go back.

I had health problems in those years but then it came back Stage IIIB in 2006.  And in 2010 I was NED.   So for me it been like 29 years. 

My cousin lived in Chicago.  She hardly ever tanned.  I didn't really keep in touch with her, but members of our family said she had the disease and for a long time, she died in 2004 and she was 58.  She was my father's niece.  His sister's daughter.  Is this disease genetic or hormonal?

Again more money for research. 

I paint pictures.  I wanted to put them on Ebay and I wanted the money to go to Melanoma Research, does anyone know how to do this?

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

I was diagnosed in the spring of 1984.  I have no idea what level I was.  I just knew I had a biopsy, then they took out a huge amount of skin around my wrist and said I needed more therapy.    I had 2 small kids.  I just didn't go back.

I had health problems in those years but then it came back Stage IIIB in 2006.  And in 2010 I was NED.   So for me it been like 29 years. 

My cousin lived in Chicago.  She hardly ever tanned.  I didn't really keep in touch with her, but members of our family said she had the disease and for a long time, she died in 2004 and she was 58.  She was my father's niece.  His sister's daughter.  Is this disease genetic or hormonal?

I paint pictures.  I wanted to put them on Ebay and I wanted the money to go to Melanoma Research, does anyone know how to do this?

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Cindy VT

JC
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

if your immune system is "keeping it in check" then why wouldn't it kill/destroy the cells instead of leaving them active but just keeping them "in check?"

JC
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

if your immune system is "keeping it in check" then why wouldn't it kill/destroy the cells instead of leaving them active but just keeping them "in check?"

JC
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Who know why?  I was 20 years out and my derm said it was Cured!  Cured after being 20 years out.

Well in 2005, I wasn't cured at all.  And this is how it was explained to me.  No cure.  I don't think there is any cancer that is curable. My mother has breast cancer.  My dad had multiple myeloma.  Grandfather Pancreatic cancer.  Uncle Lung Cancer.  The isn't a cure for any of them. 

I don't know what else to say.  Its your decision on how to live with it.  I'm deeply sorry.  Cindy VT

melanomafighter
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                          Love to year such long survivors on here….I worry during scans everytime but you have to live your life and not dwell on no cure or reoccurences…congrats to you Mike and Cindy
                                                                                                                                                                          melanomafighter
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                                                            Love to year such long survivors on here….I worry during scans everytime but you have to live your life and not dwell on no cure or reoccurences…congrats to you Mike and Cindy
                                                                                                                                                                            melanomafighter
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                                                              melanomafighter
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                melanomafighter
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                  melanomafighter
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                    Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Who know why?  I was 20 years out and my derm said it was Cured!  Cured after being 20 years out.

Well in 2005, I wasn't cured at all.  And this is how it was explained to me.  No cure.  I don't think there is any cancer that is curable. My mother has breast cancer.  My dad had multiple myeloma.  Grandfather Pancreatic cancer.  Uncle Lung Cancer.  The isn't a cure for any of them. 

I don't know what else to say.  Its your decision on how to live with it.  I'm deeply sorry.  Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 35 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics