The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3a

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3a

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by awg.
    Participant

Diaganosed in April 2011.

Had surgical excison of site w/clean margins. Sne. Node mapping reveiled 1 or 4  pelvic nodes removed to be positive (superficial node, deep was neg). The plan is a suprficial node dissection (open extraction) on positive side w/ high dose Interferon infusion for 30 days and 3 day per week injection to follow.

My questions is has any had node dissection with robitic assistance vs open method, if so at what facility?

Diaganosed in April 2011.

Had surgical excison of site w/clean margins. Sne. Node mapping reveiled 1 or 4  pelvic nodes removed to be positive (superficial node, deep was neg). The plan is a suprficial node dissection (open extraction) on positive side w/ high dose Interferon infusion for 30 days and 3 day per week injection to follow.

My questions is has any had node dissection with robitic assistance vs open method, if so at what facility?

In my research the Robotic surgery looks like a much less invasive approach. I am not worried abot scars, but I am looking for a lower infection rate and faster recovery so I may begin Interferon sooner.

Thank you All and my prayers are with each and everyone!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        awg
        Participant

Error on last post it was 1 of 4 nodes…

awg
          Participant

Error on last post it was 1 of 4 nodes…

King
            Participant

awg,

I had a groin lymph node dissection (open method) in 2004 followed by the 52 weeks of Interferon.  I wanted to suggest that you might want to repost with the topic "Robotic Assisted Surgery" or something similar to catch the attention of those that are just scanning the Board.  I don't recall reading of anyone having their lymph node dissection done this way but there certainly could be some out there.  Many surgeries are becoming less invasive.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

awg
                Participant

Thank you King and Best Wishes.

awg

awg
                  Participant

Thank you King and Best Wishes.

awg

King
                  Participant

awg,

I had a groin lymph node dissection (open method) in 2004 followed by the 52 weeks of Interferon.  I wanted to suggest that you might want to repost with the topic "Robotic Assisted Surgery" or something similar to catch the attention of those that are just scanning the Board.  I don't recall reading of anyone having their lymph node dissection done this way but there certainly could be some out there.  Many surgeries are becoming less invasive.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

CKasper
                    Participant

Yes Please start your Interferon Therapy sooner….its such a godsend, I mean who wants to be absolutely miserable for 12 months only for the disease to return.

Bad Interferon Experience.

awg
                        Participant

I am sorry that your experience was so bad on the therapy and that from what I can tell by your response the Melanoma returned.

I am very aware that the Interferon is a terrible experience so I really do not look forward to starting.

I am aware that it does have a positive impact in some cases,and the sooner you start may play a role in the overall outcome, depending on which study you read.

I want to give myself the best chances available.

I wish you well in your fight.

awg
                          Participant

I am sorry that your experience was so bad on the therapy and that from what I can tell by your response the Melanoma returned.

I am very aware that the Interferon is a terrible experience so I really do not look forward to starting.

I am aware that it does have a positive impact in some cases,and the sooner you start may play a role in the overall outcome, depending on which study you read.

I want to give myself the best chances available.

I wish you well in your fight.

CKasper
                          Participant

Yes Please start your Interferon Therapy sooner….its such a godsend, I mean who wants to be absolutely miserable for 12 months only for the disease to return.

Bad Interferon Experience.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics