The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3A – Yervoy (10mg) treatment update, part 2

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Stage 3A – Yervoy (10mg) treatment update, part 2

Participant

Hello everyone,

I went to Penn today for my 2nd Yervoy (10 mg) treatment and it was pushed back to next Thursday, 12/17. Dr. Schuchter felt it was a good idea to get the rash under good control before giving me the next treatment — which my husband and I both agreed with.

As many of you know, the past 10 days I have been fighting a pretty good rash. At first it was located solely on/in my ears, neck, upper chest and upper back, and underarms. It was mostly diffused red bumps and not concentrated. They initially treated me with Hydracortisone .1% cream but that did nothing. In fact, the rash moved on to all other parts of my body (including tiny blisters around my mouth with small, red, itchy bumps around my left eye, anus, labia, and a llitte bit in the entrance to my left nostril, basically targeting the mucosal tissue, peripherally) with the most intensely irritating and sore rash in my armpits. It was (and is) angry, red, burning, and stinging. Then I received a prescription for Fluticasone .5% — which still did nothing. As of yesterday, I started with a low dose (10mg/daily) oral steroid that bumped up to 20 mg/daily as of today's visit.

The good news is they took my blood work for today's treatment and it all looked good. So, when I get through this rash portion of the effects, the first treatment was ok. Of course, as I've been told, the effects can become more increased with each subsequent treatment so the next one brings additional apprehension. Dr. Schuchter indicated she could/would drop my dosing to 3mg for the next treatment if I wanted her to but, at this point now, I'm committed to taking the 10mg dosing — if or until I experience more serious side effects — as there is no hard data yet to support the benefit at the 3mg dosing for Stage 3.

By the way, I wanted to mention I found a lump on my neck behind my left ear last Sunday — the opposite side of my neck dissection. Of course, it freaked me out. I called Dr. Schuchter's office and her associate indicated it could be an enlarged lymph node due to the treatment. Then, another lump presented on the same side of neck surgery on the back part of my neck. My ENT, who I was seeing as a follow up to surgery, wasn't concerned either — also indicating it was more than likely the treatment not a recurrence. No one was worried and they told me it is likely more nodes will become enlarged. Good to know.

I am mentioning it in case anyone else has the same effect after their treatment. Yes, of course, get it checked out but it's more than likely the treatment as they are tweaking our immune systems — hopefully, to a a good end!

That's all for now. I will continue to update you.

Wishing everyone healing, comfort, and peace.

Best,
      Michele

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        gregor913
        Participant

Good to hear you are sticking with it. I visited my onc and he told me to forget interferon and he wants me on the 10 mg yervoy. Which I agreed. I should be starting in the next 2 weeks. Keep us posted on the side effects. Does anyone know of side effects I should be looking out for besides a rash? Be careful and report any sideeffects including headaches and GI issues.

Michele are you taking a probiotic. I heard also saurkraut is really good to eat for the stomach also.

Keep us posted

Greg stage 3b warriar in training

gregor913
          Participant

Good to hear you are sticking with it. I visited my onc and he told me to forget interferon and he wants me on the 10 mg yervoy. Which I agreed. I should be starting in the next 2 weeks. Keep us posted on the side effects. Does anyone know of side effects I should be looking out for besides a rash? Be careful and report any sideeffects including headaches and GI issues.

Michele are you taking a probiotic. I heard also saurkraut is really good to eat for the stomach also.

Keep us posted

gregor913
            Participant

Keep us posted

jennunicorn
              Participant

If you don't mind me asking, are you working during this time? I am trying to get an idea of how much I'll work, obviously it all depends on how I do and what side effects happen. I get my first infusion Tuesday at the 10mg/kg dose.

Thanks,

Jenn

micheley
                  Participant

Good luck on Tuesday, Jenn. I will send out some positive energy and good thoughts that your first infusion goes well.

I have to tell you honestly it is pretty frightening being there with so many really sick people getting treatments. Surreal doesn't even begin to describe it. I found myself vacillating between gratitude that I wasn't REALLY sick and fear that the really sick looking people COULD be me down the road. When I reminded myself — over and over again — that what I was doing was something really positive for me and my health it did make it easier to be in the chair, like everyone else, and be a chemotherapy patient. It is a chance to offset late stage disease — and that is good indeed. For me, it was and is the right decision.

Best,
                    Michele

micheley
                    Participant

Good luck on Tuesday, Jenn. I will send out some positive energy and good thoughts that your first infusion goes well.

I have to tell you honestly it is pretty frightening being there with so many really sick people getting treatments. Surreal doesn't even begin to describe it. I found myself vacillating between gratitude that I wasn't REALLY sick and fear that the really sick looking people COULD be me down the road. When I reminded myself — over and over again — that what I was doing was something really positive for me and my health it did make it easier to be in the chair, like everyone else, and be a chemotherapy patient. It is a chance to offset late stage disease — and that is good indeed. For me, it was and is the right decision.

Best,
                      Michele

micheley
                      Participant

Best,
                        Michele

jennunicorn
                      Participant

If you don't mind me asking, are you working during this time? I am trying to get an idea of how much I'll work, obviously it all depends on how I do and what side effects happen. I get my first infusion Tuesday at the 10mg/kg dose.

Thanks,

Jenn

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Thanks,

Jenn

gregor913
                          Participant
                            I’ve heard goats milk soap helps out with the rash. Might want to try it.

Greg

micheley
                              Participant

Hi Greg (and Jenn),

Thanks for the info on the goat's mik soap and the sauerkraut. I will check it out. I do eat live yogurt cultures. Is that good enough to cover the probiotics basis?

As for side effects, yes, the rash, headaches, and GI issues (big one as that is the one that caused deaths in the original study). Also, extreme fatigue — not just your everyday feeling tired but more like you can't get out of bed fatigue. It could mean the adrenal glands are being effected and that should be addressed quickly, per my doctor. Also, more recently I have been noticing some taste changes but that could be from the oral steroid.

Jenn, as for working, I have not missed any days. Of course, it has only been one treatment but I really don't feel any physical differences beyond the annoying and irritating rash. I am fortunate to be self employed and to be able to work from home but the medication has not impacted my energy level nor have I felt "sick." Even on the days when I had some mild abdominal discomfort and loose stools, it was more than manageable  — and I could have been in an office, or at work outside my home, if necessary.

As for the emotional component of all this, I'm not sure that I will ever go back to "normal." The certainty bubble has burst and, unfortunately, there is no unbursting that bubble – no unringing that bell. The train has left the station! I know that is how life really is for everyone. There are no guarantees about tomorrow, next month, or next year but it certainly is more real and in your face once you hear the word cancer (and metasteses). And, with my MM on my face and in my neck, the scars are everyday reminders that I am mortal indeeed.

I've been reading a lot of spiritual stuff lately. Interestingly, Buddhist monks in certain parts of Asia have to go through death awareness when they begin their monastic journey. They have to sit with dead bodies to understand where all of this leads — start coming to grips with their own mortality to move beyond and pass through that fear. Of course, we here in the states, don't like to look at or think about death. I certainly am of that ilk. I'd like to think of my life as a journey, a very LONG journey, where death comes gently and peacefully at the end of the road. However, what I'm reading is that death really walks, side by side, with us our entire lives. Of course, we can't LIVE in that fear but knowing that, I guess, is supposed to help us live completely. I do feel more "awake" now — not sure how to explain that and I probably don't have to here — but everything feels important now. Every day, every minute with my kids, husband, family, and friends is really precious.

Sorry to go off on a tangent there. I hope you both have little to no effect in your treatment and that this brings you long time and ongoing healing and peace. I will continue to provide updates.

Best,

Michele

micheley
                                Participant

Hi Greg (and Jenn),

Thanks for the info on the goat's mik soap and the sauerkraut. I will check it out. I do eat live yogurt cultures. Is that good enough to cover the probiotics basis?

As for side effects, yes, the rash, headaches, and GI issues (big one as that is the one that caused deaths in the original study). Also, extreme fatigue — not just your everyday feeling tired but more like you can't get out of bed fatigue. It could mean the adrenal glands are being effected and that should be addressed quickly, per my doctor. Also, more recently I have been noticing some taste changes but that could be from the oral steroid.

Jenn, as for working, I have not missed any days. Of course, it has only been one treatment but I really don't feel any physical differences beyond the annoying and irritating rash. I am fortunate to be self employed and to be able to work from home but the medication has not impacted my energy level nor have I felt "sick." Even on the days when I had some mild abdominal discomfort and loose stools, it was more than manageable  — and I could have been in an office, or at work outside my home, if necessary.

As for the emotional component of all this, I'm not sure that I will ever go back to "normal." The certainty bubble has burst and, unfortunately, there is no unbursting that bubble – no unringing that bell. The train has left the station! I know that is how life really is for everyone. There are no guarantees about tomorrow, next month, or next year but it certainly is more real and in your face once you hear the word cancer (and metasteses). And, with my MM on my face and in my neck, the scars are everyday reminders that I am mortal indeeed.

I've been reading a lot of spiritual stuff lately. Interestingly, Buddhist monks in certain parts of Asia have to go through death awareness when they begin their monastic journey. They have to sit with dead bodies to understand where all of this leads — start coming to grips with their own mortality to move beyond and pass through that fear. Of course, we here in the states, don't like to look at or think about death. I certainly am of that ilk. I'd like to think of my life as a journey, a very LONG journey, where death comes gently and peacefully at the end of the road. However, what I'm reading is that death really walks, side by side, with us our entire lives. Of course, we can't LIVE in that fear but knowing that, I guess, is supposed to help us live completely. I do feel more "awake" now — not sure how to explain that and I probably don't have to here — but everything feels important now. Every day, every minute with my kids, husband, family, and friends is really precious.

Sorry to go off on a tangent there. I hope you both have little to no effect in your treatment and that this brings you long time and ongoing healing and peace. I will continue to provide updates.

Best,

Michele

micheley
                                  Participant

Hi Greg (and Jenn),

Best,

Michele

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Thanks for all the great words, Michele. Glad to hear you don't feel "sick" and are able to go about your daily life as "normally" as possible. I agree that our world of what was once "normal" is a totally new "normal". I look forward to reading more updates.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Jenn

jennunicorn
                                      Participant

Thanks for all the great words, Michele. Glad to hear you don't feel "sick" and are able to go about your daily life as "normally" as possible. I agree that our world of what was once "normal" is a totally new "normal". I look forward to reading more updates.

Jenn

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

Jenn

gregor913
                                        Participant

Greg

gregor913
                                          Participant

Greg

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics