The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3a treatment ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3a treatment ?

Participant

My husband had a few microscopic melanoma cells in one sentinel node.  His petscan came back clear.  Now we have to decide whether to "watch and wait" or go with Opdivo. His oncologist is sending us to the head of the melanoma department at UT Southwestern for his opinion.  My feeling is this, Do you want to watch and wait until it's in your brain and then treat?  Husband would like no treatment as he's worried about side effects.  He's a hospital pharmacist so he sees the worst that can happen.  He's 67 and had planned to retire until this came up.  He also has prostate cancer which he is doing "active surveillance for.  What do you who have some experience with melanoma think?  Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        guynamedbilly
        Participant

I was in the same situation, one micromet and clear pet scans.  I decided to start on Nivo, and I've been getting injections for 6 months with very few and very minor side effects.  I was pretty healthy though, with no other medical issues to think about, and I am younger, nearly half his age.  He is probably familiar with the side effects, but I doubt he knows all about the likelihood of the side effects.

Watch and wait is an option for some people at our stage, I wouldn't say someone was wrong to make that decision.  For me though, the reported possible side effects never seemed greater than the negative probability from inaction.  I would suggest you find out what he is most nervous about, and then you research those questions ahead of time to talk to the Oncologist about.  Good luck

Gene_S
          Participant

Hello,

My husband was 3B (his lesion was 10.5 mm) as no adjuvant treatment was available in 2008 and when he went to 3C he decided to watch and wait.  But when he started this journey he was 57.  When he went to Stage 4 in 2010 he went into a clinical trial in March of 2011 of Ipi 10mg/kg and GMCSF.  He became cancer free in July 2012 and has remained that way.

He said when the adjuvant treatments came out that he wouldn't have done them.

He had very little side effects from the treatments so always remember everyone is different and everyone reacts differently.  He may get no side effects.  If you want to read more about my husbands journey look at his profile.

Judy loving wife of Gene (Stage V and now NED for over 5.5 years)

cavsnut
              Participant

I can only offer my personal experience, diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago with stage 3a melanoma . I had one micromet to one of 4 lymph nodes taken out, it was .9mm. I chose watch and wait which at the time wasn’t the standard of care, which now is from my understanding from what my oncologist told me in December . All has been well with me so far other than a lymph node that looked suspicious last July, had a fine needle aspiration biopsy and it turned out ok..,so still NED coming up on 4 years…hope this helps some , and best of luck to your husband 

Craig 

Rob578

might want to try low dose naltrexone (LDN) its off label but good results with no real side affects.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics