The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3a monitoring

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3a monitoring

Participant

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIa and had a sentinal lymphnode bioopsy in January of this year. One node was positive of the two removed and I decided, after much consideration, to move forward with the option of close monitoring, rather than interferon or full dissection or a trial. I had made this decision based on the arrangement with my doctor for CT scans or MRIs every 4-6 months. I have recently moved and in this province they apparently do not provide scans for Stage IIIa people that do not undergo treatment. I am looking for trials or other research that suggest the value of these scans. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        buffalogirl
        Participant

I had the sentinal lymphnode biopsy in June. Same thing.  First was positive at .5cm.  Second was negative.  I was told they had all the cancer and then just have close monitoring.  I opted for a second opinion. 

In Sept I had a lymphadanectomy and they found a 3.1 cm cancerous lymph.  Glad I got a second opinion.  I will do radiation and a trial – but not interferon.  Both PET scan and ultrasound showed a large mass.  Turns out it was very big, black and full of cancer.

amelanomajourney
            Participant

At mimimum a chest xray and abdominal ultrasound for montoring is warrented every 3-6mo.  There is no evidence that the early melanoma mets are caught the better the outcomes (no evidence directly…).  Treatment has so many side effects – I don't think it is fair to base monitoring on your decision to accept treatment – is there another melanoma oncologist in the city you could be refered to for a second opinion?

amelanomajourney
              Participant

At mimimum a chest xray and abdominal ultrasound for montoring is warrented every 3-6mo.  There is no evidence that the early melanoma mets are caught the better the outcomes (no evidence directly…).  Treatment has so many side effects – I don't think it is fair to base monitoring on your decision to accept treatment – is there another melanoma oncologist in the city you could be refered to for a second opinion?

amelanomajourney
                Participant

buffalogirl
                Participant

I had the sentinal lymphnode biopsy in June. Same thing.  First was positive at .5cm.  Second was negative.  I was told they had all the cancer and then just have close monitoring.  I opted for a second opinion. 

In Sept I had a lymphadanectomy and they found a 3.1 cm cancerous lymph.  Glad I got a second opinion.  I will do radiation and a trial – but not interferon.  Both PET scan and ultrasound showed a large mass.  Turns out it was very big, black and full of cancer.

buffalogirl
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics