The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3a, 3 yrs NED, sudden onset of dizziness…need for concern?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3a, 3 yrs NED, sudden onset of dizziness…need for concern?

Participant

Hi,

I'm looking for some reassurance. I am stage 3a, NED 3 years (almost)…I've been experiencing horrible bouts of dizziness lately, so bad that I can't drive at times. My family doc thinks its an inner ear infection (no symptoms of this present) and that I'm experiencing vertigo. I want to trust that is all that it is, but…you know how it is….is this something I should see my oncologist about?

Thanks for your responses.

Hi,

I'm looking for some reassurance. I am stage 3a, NED 3 years (almost)…I've been experiencing horrible bouts of dizziness lately, so bad that I can't drive at times. My family doc thinks its an inner ear infection (no symptoms of this present) and that I'm experiencing vertigo. I want to trust that is all that it is, but…you know how it is….is this something I should see my oncologist about?

Thanks for your responses.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Certainly, you could see your oncologist.  But virtigo is common and often ideopathic – no known cause.  I remember having a bout of it that lasted over 2 months.  Saw docs, etc, but no real help.  It eventually went away on its own.  No one here can say "don't worry, that isn't melanoma related".  Chances are it isn't melanoma related – it wouldn't be a common symptom.  And Virtigo is COMMON.  But if it will make you feel better, see your onc.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Certainly, you could see your oncologist.  But virtigo is common and often ideopathic – no known cause.  I remember having a bout of it that lasted over 2 months.  Saw docs, etc, but no real help.  It eventually went away on its own.  No one here can say "don't worry, that isn't melanoma related".  Chances are it isn't melanoma related – it wouldn't be a common symptom.  And Virtigo is COMMON.  But if it will make you feel better, see your onc.

Best wishes,

Janner

Fen
            Participant

I've had the same experiences as Janner.  When it happened a year after my diagnosis I had an MRI that showed nothing. PCP prescribed some meclazine (anti-vert) and i was fine.  It has happened again more recently and while I did go to my onc, we decided to just wait it out and it went away.   

Have it checked out but try not to stress too much in the meantime.

Fen

Fen
              Participant

I've had the same experiences as Janner.  When it happened a year after my diagnosis I had an MRI that showed nothing. PCP prescribed some meclazine (anti-vert) and i was fine.  It has happened again more recently and while I did go to my onc, we decided to just wait it out and it went away.   

Have it checked out but try not to stress too much in the meantime.

Fen

JakeinNY
                Participant

The best thing to do is to call the oncologist and explain it well and let then decide if you should see another doctor that handles those issues, etc.. I am stage III, 3 years NED and 2 years ago I had a situation where my vision was severely cloudy for about 10 minutes and had dizziness for a few days before, on and off. It turned out to be nothing. All of the tests showed no melanom, no stroke, …nothing. But as you are feeling, I was so so nervous about what was happening. The only way that you will get peace of mind is to call your oncologist and be very detailed as to what is going on. Only when you are evaluated and/or tested will you get the peace that you need. The sooner the better. Best wishes for a long life.

JakeinNY
                  Participant

The best thing to do is to call the oncologist and explain it well and let then decide if you should see another doctor that handles those issues, etc.. I am stage III, 3 years NED and 2 years ago I had a situation where my vision was severely cloudy for about 10 minutes and had dizziness for a few days before, on and off. It turned out to be nothing. All of the tests showed no melanom, no stroke, …nothing. But as you are feeling, I was so so nervous about what was happening. The only way that you will get peace of mind is to call your oncologist and be very detailed as to what is going on. Only when you are evaluated and/or tested will you get the peace that you need. The sooner the better. Best wishes for a long life.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics