The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 3 Wait and See?

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 3 Wait and See?

Participant

My daughter 23 years old was diagnosed with Stage 3 melanoma last month.  Her Tumor thickness ws 0.9mm.  Ulceration absent.  6 mitosis/mm2.  She had it removed along with a sentinel lymph node biopsy which came back saying present as clusters of tumor cells, the largest cluster measuring 0.4 mm in size, no extrcapsular extension seen.  The first melanoma oncologist wanted her to have the CLND along with a year of treatment on interferon.  We were ready to go ahead, but then were able to get in to a Dr. at Sloan Kettering, who says they feel in her case the wait and see approach is the road to take.  Just so scared and don't know what is the right path….

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

I did watch and wait-stage 3b-2013-turned down interferon based on mayo oncologists advice. He said interferon didn't work and I'd be sick for a year and statistically it may add a year to my life-but he would never do it. NED for 4 years so far

Toby0987
          Participant

I did watch and wait-stage 3b-2013-turned down interferon based on mayo oncologists advice. He said interferon didn't work and I'd be sick for a year and statistically it may add a year to my life-but he would never do it. NED for 4 years so far

Toby0987
            Participant

slh4448
              Participant

Hi,

I was diagnosed with stage 3a melanoma back in late May. 3/mm2. No ulceration and negative for extracapsular extension. I had a WLE and SLNB back in July. I had one lymph node removed which came back positive. I consulted with my docs at the University of KU Cancer Center, MDA and Sloan Kettering and they all recommended that I have the CLND which I decided not to have.

I started on Yervoy 10mg back on 8/15 and had the second dose on 9/20. Didn't tolerate the Yervoy very well at all. Lots of GI issues and was diagnosed with colitis back in early October after having a colonoscopy so no more Yervoy for me. Treating the colitis since mid October and getting better each day but just a little bit. I am considered to have NED. No other treatments are available for me at this point. I have my first scans scheduled for 12/8. The Yervoy definitely "revved" up my immune system but apparently too much for me to tolerate.

I too am now taking the watch and wait approach and I'm at peace with that. I also have never second guessed myself on not having the CLND….it was simply a personal choice and again, I'm at peace with that decision as well.

Best of luck to your daughter and for your family!!

Stacy

welcome32
                  Participant

I am so glad I logged into this website.  Thank you.  I have been on the internet obsessivley for the past month, but I finally have found what we needed.  My daughter is at peace with this decision, as well as my husband and I.  Being her mom, I am just so scared, but try not to let her see it.  She just graduated from college last year and is such a wonderful soul and has done so well her first year at new job, I just want her to have a full life, as everyone on this forum deserves…by prayers to all…..

welcome32
                    Participant

I am so glad I logged into this website.  Thank you.  I have been on the internet obsessivley for the past month, but I finally have found what we needed.  My daughter is at peace with this decision, as well as my husband and I.  Being her mom, I am just so scared, but try not to let her see it.  She just graduated from college last year and is such a wonderful soul and has done so well her first year at new job, I just want her to have a full life, as everyone on this forum deserves…by prayers to all…..

welcome32
                      Participant

dmturner
                        Participant

Stacy

You and I have pretty close the same story line.   No CLND.   I did not have side effects from Yervoy but before my 4th treatment I went in and saw the doctor that did the Mohs procedure on my right  heel October 13th my next Yervoy infusion was scheduled on 10/19.  When I pointed out to the doctor "what are these two little spots just above my original"  he did a biospy and called on Monday and said it was positive for melanoma (satellite).  So when I saw my oncologist on Wednesday he decided to cancel the 4th Yervoy.  So since then I had a WLE on my heel and a swollen lymph node removed and skin graft also did a CT scan.  Can back negative.  So NED for now.  Watch and wait here.

I do have a mild case of lymphdema even though I did not have CLND I guess just having 3 nodes remove and the trauma to my foot is the cause.

dmturner
                          Participant

Stacy

You and I have pretty close the same story line.   No CLND.   I did not have side effects from Yervoy but before my 4th treatment I went in and saw the doctor that did the Mohs procedure on my right  heel October 13th my next Yervoy infusion was scheduled on 10/19.  When I pointed out to the doctor "what are these two little spots just above my original"  he did a biospy and called on Monday and said it was positive for melanoma (satellite).  So when I saw my oncologist on Wednesday he decided to cancel the 4th Yervoy.  So since then I had a WLE on my heel and a swollen lymph node removed and skin graft also did a CT scan.  Can back negative.  So NED for now.  Watch and wait here.

I do have a mild case of lymphdema even though I did not have CLND I guess just having 3 nodes remove and the trauma to my foot is the cause.

dmturner
                            Participant

Stacy

welcome32
                              Participant

Hi Stacey,

I know you said you were having a scan on 12/8/16.  I hope things turned out well for you.  Prayers.

Julies Mom

welcome32
                                Participant

Hi Stacey,

I know you said you were having a scan on 12/8/16.  I hope things turned out well for you.  Prayers.

Julies Mom

welcome32
                                  Participant

Hi Stacey,

Julies Mom

slh4448
                                  Participant

Hi,

I was diagnosed with stage 3a melanoma back in late May. 3/mm2. No ulceration and negative for extracapsular extension. I had a WLE and SLNB back in July. I had one lymph node removed which came back positive. I consulted with my docs at the University of KU Cancer Center, MDA and Sloan Kettering and they all recommended that I have the CLND which I decided not to have.

I started on Yervoy 10mg back on 8/15 and had the second dose on 9/20. Didn't tolerate the Yervoy very well at all. Lots of GI issues and was diagnosed with colitis back in early October after having a colonoscopy so no more Yervoy for me. Treating the colitis since mid October and getting better each day but just a little bit. I am considered to have NED. No other treatments are available for me at this point. I have my first scans scheduled for 12/8. The Yervoy definitely "revved" up my immune system but apparently too much for me to tolerate.

I too am now taking the watch and wait approach and I'm at peace with that. I also have never second guessed myself on not having the CLND….it was simply a personal choice and again, I'm at peace with that decision as well.

Stacy

slh4448
                                    Participant

Hi,

Stacy

Tim–MRF

I am sorry your daughter is going through this, particularly just as she is moving out into the world.

The counsel about treatment for Stage III melanoma is widely varied. A lot depends on the next level of staging: IIIa, IIIb, or IIIc. For example, a recent study showed a particular drug–"ipi"–is more effective in preventing recurrence that interferon, but has much more challenging side effects. The recommendation was that ipi be used only for Stage IIIc patients, and then only by doctors who have a lot of experience with this drug.

You may want to read this piece the MRF did for Stage III patients: https://www.melanoma.org/sites/default/files/StageIIIPiece.pdf

The good thing is that you are at a place that has a very good melanoma program, and that is an important step.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I am sorry your daughter is going through this, particularly just as she is moving out into the world.

The counsel about treatment for Stage III melanoma is widely varied. A lot depends on the next level of staging: IIIa, IIIb, or IIIc. For example, a recent study showed a particular drug–"ipi"–is more effective in preventing recurrence that interferon, but has much more challenging side effects. The recommendation was that ipi be used only for Stage IIIc patients, and then only by doctors who have a lot of experience with this drug.

You may want to read this piece the MRF did for Stage III patients: https://www.melanoma.org/sites/default/files/StageIIIPiece.pdf

The good thing is that you are at a place that has a very good melanoma program, and that is an important step.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

welcome32
                                              Participant

Thank you for the information!

welcome32
                                                Participant

welcome32
                                                  Participant

klcouser
                                                  Participant

Hello, I'm sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis.  I too have a very similar story, however I was 47 when diagnosed with Stage 3A in February of this year.  I had a cluster of 10 cells that were .05mm that traveled to the lymph nodes in my right groin.  I too had the option of a CLND, and was able to talk to two surgeons who talked about their experiences with their patients developing Lymphedema.  They both were at 50% and the thought of developing this on top of my cancer that could potentially be life altering (my leg could swell so much I could no longer be active), I choose not to have a CLND.  I doctor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and they recommended the wait and watch approach too.  At first I thought no way, get this cancer out of me and I wanted to do what ever it took.  Because my original surgery was not that they Mayo clinic, there was some confusion as to ulceration.  Because the Mayo had to call for my original slides, it gave me time to research, talk to doctors and family/friends.  Family and friends were behind any decision and most suggest do whatever you can do to get the cancer out of your body.  My daughters doctor shed some light that really helped me be at piece, he said what people loose site of is the quality of life.  Everyone wants quantity, they want to live as long as possible, but they are not thinking about how the treatments will in some cases break you down.  My family and friends kept asking me what I wanted, my response was always "I just want to be me, the me I was before this diagnosis".  I actually listened to myself and agreed that the watch and wait was the right choice for me.   I get to be me with no physical treatments, but do struggle with the mental abuse this disease leave with you.  My watch and watch treatment plan consists of every three months, a PET scan, Ultra Sound of my groin, Blood work, meet with my oncology team and meet with my melanoma dermatologist doctor who gives me a thorough full body exam.  To date there has been NO EVIDENCE of this disease in my body and the best part is, I GET TO BE ME, and not have any type of poison administered into my body.  I pray and thank God everyday that I will remain free of cancer forever!  The mental abuse is like a roller coaster ride.  I feel great after each visit that confirms no evidence of the disease, but then become edgy and worried as the next set of appointments approach.  Hopefully in time that will ease a bit.   I believe this is the right path for me and I hope you can share this with your daughter and too feel at ease as she makes her decision.  Prayers for your daughter and your family.

~Kris

klcouser
                                                    Participant

Hello, I'm sorry to hear of your daughters diagnosis.  I too have a very similar story, however I was 47 when diagnosed with Stage 3A in February of this year.  I had a cluster of 10 cells that were .05mm that traveled to the lymph nodes in my right groin.  I too had the option of a CLND, and was able to talk to two surgeons who talked about their experiences with their patients developing Lymphedema.  They both were at 50% and the thought of developing this on top of my cancer that could potentially be life altering (my leg could swell so much I could no longer be active), I choose not to have a CLND.  I doctor at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and they recommended the wait and watch approach too.  At first I thought no way, get this cancer out of me and I wanted to do what ever it took.  Because my original surgery was not that they Mayo clinic, there was some confusion as to ulceration.  Because the Mayo had to call for my original slides, it gave me time to research, talk to doctors and family/friends.  Family and friends were behind any decision and most suggest do whatever you can do to get the cancer out of your body.  My daughters doctor shed some light that really helped me be at piece, he said what people loose site of is the quality of life.  Everyone wants quantity, they want to live as long as possible, but they are not thinking about how the treatments will in some cases break you down.  My family and friends kept asking me what I wanted, my response was always "I just want to be me, the me I was before this diagnosis".  I actually listened to myself and agreed that the watch and wait was the right choice for me.   I get to be me with no physical treatments, but do struggle with the mental abuse this disease leave with you.  My watch and watch treatment plan consists of every three months, a PET scan, Ultra Sound of my groin, Blood work, meet with my oncology team and meet with my melanoma dermatologist doctor who gives me a thorough full body exam.  To date there has been NO EVIDENCE of this disease in my body and the best part is, I GET TO BE ME, and not have any type of poison administered into my body.  I pray and thank God everyday that I will remain free of cancer forever!  The mental abuse is like a roller coaster ride.  I feel great after each visit that confirms no evidence of the disease, but then become edgy and worried as the next set of appointments approach.  Hopefully in time that will ease a bit.   I believe this is the right path for me and I hope you can share this with your daughter and too feel at ease as she makes her decision.  Prayers for your daughter and your family.

~Kris

welcome32
                                                        Participant

Thank you so much for sharing Kris…I will share the information with Julie…Our prayers are with you as well…

Carol

welcome32
                                                          Participant

Thank you so much for sharing Kris…I will share the information with Julie…Our prayers are with you as well…

Carol

welcome32
                                                            Participant

Carol

klcouser
                                                            Participant

~Kris

oocn
                                                              Participant

Hi there, I read your post this morning and wanted to reach out. I'm 25 and was diagnosed stage 3b in July of this year. Original primary was .86mm, non-ulcerated with a 1/mm2 mitosis. It was on my head and neck region. On my SNLB, one node in my neck was found to have focally present cells which were about <1% of the area within the node. A tiny amount. I then had a CLND of my neck wth 30 extra nodes removed, no further involvement.

All said, the healing/physical therapy has gone smoothly-no lymphadema. Fortunately I've been all clear otherwise, I spend about 6 days a week at the gym and have been refocusing my diet.  What the entire process of standard of care opened me up to is, options. All of this is technical though, its the mechanics of treatment and while we share it-none of these situations are ever exactly the same. Your daughter is young, and just like she may be, I grappled with many of the harsh unknowns with this disease. I still do. What I found truly helpful for me was talking to millenials who have faced cancer, it was really important for me to talk to people with mel at my stage.

If you or your daughter ever need to talk, I would be happy to via email. I start a clinical trail in December that randomizes me between pembrolizumab (keytruda) and ipilipumab (yervoy). I could certainly explain my decision making here, as I  understand the toxicity of some of these drugs.

Best wishes to your daughter and your family.

oocn
                                                                Participant

Hi there, I read your post this morning and wanted to reach out. I'm 25 and was diagnosed stage 3b in July of this year. Original primary was .86mm, non-ulcerated with a 1/mm2 mitosis. It was on my head and neck region. On my SNLB, one node in my neck was found to have focally present cells which were about <1% of the area within the node. A tiny amount. I then had a CLND of my neck wth 30 extra nodes removed, no further involvement.

All said, the healing/physical therapy has gone smoothly-no lymphadema. Fortunately I've been all clear otherwise, I spend about 6 days a week at the gym and have been refocusing my diet.  What the entire process of standard of care opened me up to is, options. All of this is technical though, its the mechanics of treatment and while we share it-none of these situations are ever exactly the same. Your daughter is young, and just like she may be, I grappled with many of the harsh unknowns with this disease. I still do. What I found truly helpful for me was talking to millenials who have faced cancer, it was really important for me to talk to people with mel at my stage.

If you or your daughter ever need to talk, I would be happy to via email. I start a clinical trail in December that randomizes me between pembrolizumab (keytruda) and ipilipumab (yervoy). I could certainly explain my decision making here, as I  understand the toxicity of some of these drugs.

welcome32
                                                                    Participant

Thank you so much.  We have another appointment at Sloan in December with the medical melanoma oncologist to discuss what he feels our options are at this point.  Where are you being treated?. 

welcome32
                                                                      Participant

Thank you so much.  We have another appointment at Sloan in December with the medical melanoma oncologist to discuss what he feels our options are at this point.  Where are you being treated?. 

oocn
                                                                        Participant

From my understanding MSKCC is a fantastic facility, with Melanoma specialist superstars like Dr. Wolchok. I am being treated at Huntsman in SLC, currently waiting on trial randomization.

oocn
                                                                          Participant

From my understanding MSKCC is a fantastic facility, with Melanoma specialist superstars like Dr. Wolchok. I am being treated at Huntsman in SLC, currently waiting on trial randomization.

oocn
                                                                            Participant

welcome32
                                                                              Participant

Yes Dr. Wolchok is who we will be seeing.  I wish you all the very best…I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well.  Please keep me posted on how things are going with you and I will share with you as well.  I thank you so much for reaching out.  In the future, maybe I can get you and my daughter in touch, as you said via email. 

welcome32
                                                                                Participant

Yes Dr. Wolchok is who we will be seeing.  I wish you all the very best…I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well.  Please keep me posted on how things are going with you and I will share with you as well.  I thank you so much for reaching out.  In the future, maybe I can get you and my daughter in touch, as you said via email. 

welcome32
                                                                                  Participant

oocn
                                                                                    Participant

That is wonderful to hear. Apologies for the late response, I had been traveling for Thanksgiving.

I'll certainly let you know how it all goes, as I said before-this diagnosis is difficult for everyone, it is particularly magnified when you're in your 20's. I have always believed in a positive attitude, in fact, there's a great book by Dr. Joe Dispenza called "You are the Placebo" on the power of the human mind-definitely worth a read.

I'll keep your daughter and family in my prayers, as always happy to discuss via email. Happy Holidays!

oocn
                                                                                      Participant

That is wonderful to hear. Apologies for the late response, I had been traveling for Thanksgiving.

I'll certainly let you know how it all goes, as I said before-this diagnosis is difficult for everyone, it is particularly magnified when you're in your 20's. I have always believed in a positive attitude, in fact, there's a great book by Dr. Joe Dispenza called "You are the Placebo" on the power of the human mind-definitely worth a read.

I'll keep your daughter and family in my prayers, as always happy to discuss via email. Happy Holidays!

oocn
                                                                                        Participant

welcome32
                                                                                          Participant

oocn
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics