The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage 3 melanoma patient/41 y.o. male.

Forums General Melanoma Community stage 3 melanoma patient/41 y.o. male.

Participant

Hi I am one of the victims of this terrible disease.  I was diangonosed with Melanoma, hade local WLE Surgery, and less than a year later it came back and spread to the lymph nodes in my neck.  I know my survival rate is not good, especially with it coming back so soon.  I did the interferon for one year and it was pure hell on me.  A few months past my last injection of interferon, my body hurts just as bad in fact worse than my year on melanoma.  I have major pain in my bones and my joints.  My question is does anybody know or experienced this?  Thank you so much I anxiously await responses.  I am a 41 year old male.  Also does having it come back so quickly affect my survival rate?   Tony

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lil0909
        Participant
          I just finished my year of interferon a few weeks ago, it was pure hell as you said. Since I’ve been off, I’ve been having new/different/not normal “side effects” as well. I keep my dr’s nurse updated, and they want me in for a check up immediately. I don’t really have anything to tell you, just feeling anxious myself right now … and sometimes it makes me feel better knowing I’m not alone. Good luck!!!
          Lil0909
          Participant
            I just finished my year of interferon a few weeks ago, it was pure hell as you said. Since I’ve been off, I’ve been having new/different/not normal “side effects” as well. I keep my dr’s nurse updated, and they want me in for a check up immediately. I don’t really have anything to tell you, just feeling anxious myself right now … and sometimes it makes me feel better knowing I’m not alone. Good luck!!!
            Lil0909
            Participant
                tony9511
                Participant

Thank you for sharing.  You are correct, having another person with this *&^%$*())* Disease is comforting to bounce questions etc off of.  Thank you again for your time and your response.

tony9511
                  Participant

Thank you for sharing.  You are correct, having another person with this *&^%$*())* Disease is comforting to bounce questions etc off of.  Thank you again for your time and your response.

tony9511
                    Participant

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hi Tony,

My husband was 56 when he had his first bout with melanoma and within a year it came back and he had another surgery and within a year it was back again and after 4 surgeries in 2 years 10 months time he was feeling pretty good and went for a check up with his surgeon and found a unresectable tumor on the C1-C2 spine and he had scans and it was found in his liver and lungs as well.

He started at clinical trial the first thing he had done besides his 4 surgeries in Mar. 2011 and he became NED and has not had another reoccurence since and it has now been 2 1/2 years since it all went away.

He never did Interferon because he didn't want the flu like symptoms that come with it.  You can read all about him on his profile page if you would like.  His SLN came back negative and his cancer was on his scalp but when it came back it had evidently traveled through his blood stream.  I don't think it should affect your survival rate but can't answer about the pain in your bones and joints.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

tony9511
                        Participant

Judy,

Thanks for the great response.  Your husband is a great story.  Thank you again for taking your time to respnd.

tony9511
                          Participant

Judy,

Thanks for the great response.  Your husband is a great story.  Thank you again for taking your time to respnd.

tony9511
                            Participant

Judy,

gaby
                              Participant

Hi Tony! My husband (38 years) was diagnosed with melanoma (ankle) in june 2012(Breslow 2.3 mm without ulceration, less than 1 mm2 mitosis), we are living in hell, unfortunately the result of the sentinel node biopsy (groin) gave positive 1/4, so he hada surgery on groin node dissection and lymph node biopsy in the stomach, all clean.

Doctor offered interferon pegylado (new treatment) or wait and watch, my husband started on 29 October with pegylated interferon treatment as adyudante.Treatmentis difficult,has many side effects.

Here is my post of the side effects of pegylated interferon:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/experience-pegylated

The worst was that it caused infertility, so long are doing fertility treatments (IVF) to see if we can be parents …

Thank God my husband ended two years of pegylated interferon in October 2014, now has the next month CT scan, hopefully this all right.

Now, my husband is 41 years old.

Regards

Gaby from Argentina

gaby
                                Participant

Hi Tony! My husband (38 years) was diagnosed with melanoma (ankle) in june 2012(Breslow 2.3 mm without ulceration, less than 1 mm2 mitosis), we are living in hell, unfortunately the result of the sentinel node biopsy (groin) gave positive 1/4, so he hada surgery on groin node dissection and lymph node biopsy in the stomach, all clean.

Doctor offered interferon pegylado (new treatment) or wait and watch, my husband started on 29 October with pegylated interferon treatment as adyudante.Treatmentis difficult,has many side effects.

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/experience-pegylated

The worst was that it caused infertility, so long are doing fertility treatments (IVF) to see if we can be parents …

Thank God my husband ended two years of pegylated interferon in October 2014, now has the next month CT scan, hopefully this all right.

Regards

Gaby from Argentina

gaby
                                  Participant

Regards

Gaby from Argentina

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Hi Tony,

My husband was 56 when he had his first bout with melanoma and within a year it came back and he had another surgery and within a year it was back again and after 4 surgeries in 2 years 10 months time he was feeling pretty good and went for a check up with his surgeon and found a unresectable tumor on the C1-C2 spine and he had scans and it was found in his liver and lungs as well.

He started at clinical trial the first thing he had done besides his 4 surgeries in Mar. 2011 and he became NED and has not had another reoccurence since and it has now been 2 1/2 years since it all went away.

He never did Interferon because he didn't want the flu like symptoms that come with it.  You can read all about him on his profile page if you would like.  His SLN came back negative and his cancer was on his scalp but when it came back it had evidently traveled through his blood stream.  I don't think it should affect your survival rate but can't answer about the pain in your bones and joints.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Hi Tony,

Saturn
                                      Participant

Hi I was diagnosed at 69 with Melanoma Am now approaching 71. I had surgery to remove part of my right ear and lenghtly surgery to remove nodes.  I was put on interfueron which was so horrible i had a neighbor bring me to hospital.   At 6 months my surgeon noticed something on my neck and so had another surgery.

tthen I was put on radiation on my neck  which was interrupted when a pimple like thing appeared on my neck.  So another surgery. Now am waiting to restart rediation.

He  said he wants to put me on Yervoy which scares the hell out of me,  So far I am stage 3 but am do another scan after radiation.  I would like to know if the is still negative if this Yervoy and it's risks are the right treatment.  Am do to see my oncologist  Monday

I believe I was not put back on interfueon after the surgery is because I was so sick and lost so much weight,

Sam

Saturn
                                        Participant

Hi I was diagnosed at 69 with Melanoma Am now approaching 71. I had surgery to remove part of my right ear and lenghtly surgery to remove nodes.  I was put on interfueron which was so horrible i had a neighbor bring me to hospital.   At 6 months my surgeon noticed something on my neck and so had another surgery.

tthen I was put on radiation on my neck  which was interrupted when a pimple like thing appeared on my neck.  So another surgery. Now am waiting to restart rediation.

He  said he wants to put me on Yervoy which scares the hell out of me,  So far I am stage 3 but am do another scan after radiation.  I would like to know if the is still negative if this Yervoy and it's risks are the right treatment.  Am do to see my oncologist  Monday

I believe I was not put back on interfueon after the surgery is because I was so sick and lost so much weight,

Sam

Saturn
                                          Participant

Sam

ed williams
                                            Participant

Hi Tony, your story is very familiar to my own back in 2012. I progressed to stage 4 and this June will be my 2 year bench mark. I did Interferon in June of 2012 and decided to only do the high dose phase (one month 5 days a week), based on the available data that showed no difference in survival for High dose vs full year of Interferon. As far as progression and your concerns about progressing, that is hard to be helpfull, the stats are just that "stats". I hope you are lucky enough to remain at stage 3. Remember to do follow up scans on a regular basis. If it comes back catching it early is best, especially in my case they were able to treat successfully the brain mets since they were small with the cyberknife radiation treatment. There are so many options and new treatments available today for stage 4 patients compared to 2 years ago. There are so many new combination being looked at in clincial trials that the future for new stage 4 Melanoma patients is no longer so bleak. Wishing you the best with your journey. Ed

ed williams
                                              Participant

Hi Tony, your story is very familiar to my own back in 2012. I progressed to stage 4 and this June will be my 2 year bench mark. I did Interferon in June of 2012 and decided to only do the high dose phase (one month 5 days a week), based on the available data that showed no difference in survival for High dose vs full year of Interferon. As far as progression and your concerns about progressing, that is hard to be helpfull, the stats are just that "stats". I hope you are lucky enough to remain at stage 3. Remember to do follow up scans on a regular basis. If it comes back catching it early is best, especially in my case they were able to treat successfully the brain mets since they were small with the cyberknife radiation treatment. There are so many options and new treatments available today for stage 4 patients compared to 2 years ago. There are so many new combination being looked at in clincial trials that the future for new stage 4 Melanoma patients is no longer so bleak. Wishing you the best with your journey. Ed

ed williams
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics