The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 1B to Liver Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 1B to Liver Mets

Participant

I was wondering if any Melanoma Warriors have progressed from stage 1b melanoma dx to having liver mets.  Only indication was high ALT reading on blood test, some mild stomach fullness.   I would like to hear other's expierences.  You go from being advised that 1b, be mindful but don't dwell on it, your cured to WTF liver mets.   

Thanks

Kay

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Hi Kay,

I went from a 1a superficial spreading on my shoulder (removed by wide excision in July 20070, to lung and brain metastasis in April 2013. Very shocking, and very disappointing. I was having skin checks and physicals at 6 month intervals. Some of us are in that low-ball unlucky percentile. Thankfully, with the advances in research, and an excellent care team…. it's been one hell of a journey to NED. Hang in there. The shock will wear off a bit once a plan is in place, and you can tackle the ride one bite at a time. 

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

Hi Kay,

I went from a 1a superficial spreading on my shoulder (removed by wide excision in July 20070, to lung and brain metastasis in April 2013. Very shocking, and very disappointing. I was having skin checks and physicals at 6 month intervals. Some of us are in that low-ball unlucky percentile. Thankfully, with the advances in research, and an excellent care team…. it's been one hell of a journey to NED. Hang in there. The shock will wear off a bit once a plan is in place, and you can tackle the ride one bite at a time. 

Aubreesmommy41
              Participant

How did you find out you have brain and lung mets? If you don't mind my asking.. I'm stage 1A.. wondering what to look for..

cancersnewnormal
                Participant

I had a seizure at work. Did not see it coming. They found the brain lesions after a CT and and MRI. In hindsight… I should have had a chest x-ray. I was having difficulties riding hills on my bicycle. It was more frustrating than concerning. There was no cough, but I would wheeze like I had asthma or severe allergies when exercising. As far as normal day to day activities… I noticed nothing. But then, I am the type to go from "no problem" to "ER visit" in ten seconds! ha!  ; ) I'm not sure if my doc would have put me on allergy meds, or given me the chest x-ray… but looking back, I should probably have complained louder and pushed for it. I was over 5 years out from the initial skin excision, so the thought of exercise induced breathing issues would NEVER have me thinking melanoma metastasis. I've read here on the forum that for some folks, an annual chest x-ray is routine follow up. By the time my lung metastasis was discovered, I had 3 lesions… one the size of a golf ball… the other two more like marbles. Were they there prior to the brain metastasis? Based on their size… probably. A chest x-ray MAY… maybe… have caught the spread prior to it reaching the brain. 

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant

I had a seizure at work. Did not see it coming. They found the brain lesions after a CT and and MRI. In hindsight… I should have had a chest x-ray. I was having difficulties riding hills on my bicycle. It was more frustrating than concerning. There was no cough, but I would wheeze like I had asthma or severe allergies when exercising. As far as normal day to day activities… I noticed nothing. But then, I am the type to go from "no problem" to "ER visit" in ten seconds! ha!  ; ) I'm not sure if my doc would have put me on allergy meds, or given me the chest x-ray… but looking back, I should probably have complained louder and pushed for it. I was over 5 years out from the initial skin excision, so the thought of exercise induced breathing issues would NEVER have me thinking melanoma metastasis. I've read here on the forum that for some folks, an annual chest x-ray is routine follow up. By the time my lung metastasis was discovered, I had 3 lesions… one the size of a golf ball… the other two more like marbles. Were they there prior to the brain metastasis? Based on their size… probably. A chest x-ray MAY… maybe… have caught the spread prior to it reaching the brain. 

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                      Participant

How did you find out you have brain and lung mets? If you don't mind my asking.. I'm stage 1A.. wondering what to look for..

Aubreesmommy41
                        Participant

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

Hi Kay,

stotesbery
                          Participant

I went from Stage 1a in 2008 to Stage lllC in January 2016 and now Stage lV in August 2016 despite surgery, radiation therapy and three doses of ipi.  Only symptom that I had was a lump in my groin.  During those eight years I got married and had two kids so, needless to say, I am devastated since I was told I had a 4-7% chance of the melanoma metasticizing to my lymph nodes.  Taking Opdivo now and waiting to fall on the right side of the stats this time!!    Christal

Aubreesmommy41
                              Participant

Was the groin lump really noticeable?  I'm asking because I am somewhat overweight and I check everything everyday but I'm afraid I'll miss something

Aubreesmommy41
                                Participant

Was the groin lump really noticeable?  I'm asking because I am somewhat overweight and I check everything everyday but I'm afraid I'll miss something

Aubreesmommy41
                                  Participant

stotesbery
                                    Participant

Yes, it was superficial and easy to feel.  I have to admit after eight years I had become a little lax about checking the lymph nodes.  I had seen my dermatologist about four months earlier and she had checked them and felt nothing.  Christal 

Aubreesmommy41
                                      Participant

Sorry one more question. Was it lump under the skin or on top? And you definitely wouldn't have missed it showering?  That's when I try to check everything out. 

stotesbery
                                        Participant

It was a lump under the skin. There was no way to miss it if you would run your over that area.  Hope that helps!

stotesbery
                                          Participant

It was a lump under the skin. There was no way to miss it if you would run your over that area.  Hope that helps!

stotesbery
                                            Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                              Participant

Sorry one more question. Was it lump under the skin or on top? And you definitely wouldn't have missed it showering?  That's when I try to check everything out. 

Aubreesmommy41
                                                Participant

stotesbery
                                                  Participant

Yes, it was superficial and easy to feel.  I have to admit after eight years I had become a little lax about checking the lymph nodes.  I had seen my dermatologist about four months earlier and she had checked them and felt nothing.  Christal 

stotesbery
                                                    Participant

stotesbery
                                                    Participant

I went from Stage 1a in 2008 to Stage lllC in January 2016 and now Stage lV in August 2016 despite surgery, radiation therapy and three doses of ipi.  Only symptom that I had was a lump in my groin.  During those eight years I got married and had two kids so, needless to say, I am devastated since I was told I had a 4-7% chance of the melanoma metasticizing to my lymph nodes.  Taking Opdivo now and waiting to fall on the right side of the stats this time!!    Christal

stotesbery
                                                      Participant

Alce123
                                                        Participant
                                                          I had a stage 1a this summer. It was found while I was doing ivf which is now on hold for a year.

Just curious, for you guys who have progressed, did you have pregnancies between getting diagnosed and progressing? If so do you feel like they were related or just bad luck?

Thanks!

Alce123
                                                          Participant
                                                            I had a stage 1a this summer. It was found while I was doing ivf which is now on hold for a year.

Just curious, for you guys who have progressed, did you have pregnancies between getting diagnosed and progressing? If so do you feel like they were related or just bad luck?

Thanks!

Aubreesmommy41
                                                              Participant

My 1A was found right after the birth of my daughter. I think the growth hormone has something to do with it. Are you doing any kind of treatment or just watch n wait?

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                Participant

My 1A was found right after the birth of my daughter. I think the growth hormone has something to do with it. Are you doing any kind of treatment or just watch n wait?

Alce123
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    I don’t know we’re directing this question at me but, as far as I know, there is nothing you do for 1A besides a WLE. I did have that done with a skin graft and skin/lymph nodes checks every 3 months. So far so good 🙂
                                                                    Alce123
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      I don’t know we’re directing this question at me but, as far as I know, there is nothing you do for 1A besides a WLE. I did have that done with a skin graft and skin/lymph nodes checks every 3 months. So far so good 🙂
                                                                      Alce123
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Aubreesmommy41
                                                                        Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                                                          Participant

My progression did not follow a pregnancy. I was 44 when the metastasis was found… my son was 22. : )  Oddly enough, I did have a nasty bicycle wreck 5 months prior to finding the metastasis. The jury is still out on the theory that my immune system was doing all that it could to hold back the melanoma, until it had to work on repairing the rest of me. A pregnancy is very hard on the body. I would wonder between the hormones and the post birth repairs…….. But it with an early stage diagnosis, it certainly wouldn't have stopped me from starting my family. Careful monitoring and moving on with life.  : )

cancersnewnormal
                                                                            Participant

My progression did not follow a pregnancy. I was 44 when the metastasis was found… my son was 22. : )  Oddly enough, I did have a nasty bicycle wreck 5 months prior to finding the metastasis. The jury is still out on the theory that my immune system was doing all that it could to hold back the melanoma, until it had to work on repairing the rest of me. A pregnancy is very hard on the body. I would wonder between the hormones and the post birth repairs…….. But it with an early stage diagnosis, it certainly wouldn't have stopped me from starting my family. Careful monitoring and moving on with life.  : )

cancersnewnormal
                                                                              Participant

JC
                                                                                Participant

so that theory is once diagnosed it's always there, just being held in check?  until the immune system is overtaxed?

JC
                                                                                  Participant

so that theory is once diagnosed it's always there, just being held in check?  until the immune system is overtaxed?

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                    Participant

Not necessarily always there. Many many people have a skin lesion removed and never have a further issue. A friend of mine sent me a research article shortly after my stage IV diagnosis, which touched on the idea that physical trauma may lead to the spread IF there is micrometastasis already in the body. I can't find the original article that he sent me, but did find this one in a quick search: https://bmccancer.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2407-5-94 It is an old study (2005) and the patient was a lung cancer patient, not melanoma. I wish I could find the article from 2013. If I come across the email, I'll send the somewhat more updated information.

My original stage 1a lesion was not completely removed with the first excision. The punch biopsy had not shown melanoma, so the surgeon was under the impression that this was to be a "preventative" measure. However, to the surprise of us all, the lab report from that surgery showed melanoma… and the margins were NOT cleared. Sooooo… before the stitches from the initial surgery were healed, I was back in for a wide margin excision. Those lab reports came back clear, but I sometimes question whether the damage had already been done, when the initial excision cut through the melanoma… potentially spreading the micrometastasis via the blood. I never had any lymph nodes checked, so docs can't point to the exact cause of my leap from stage 1a to stage IV 6 years later. My bicycle wreck preceded my stage IV diagnosis by 5 months. It was a nasty wreck, with a good deal of physical trauma for my immune system to tackle. It's just a thought/theory that some docs bounce around, but I don't believe much has ever concretely been made of it. 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                      Participant

Not necessarily always there. Many many people have a skin lesion removed and never have a further issue. A friend of mine sent me a research article shortly after my stage IV diagnosis, which touched on the idea that physical trauma may lead to the spread IF there is micrometastasis already in the body. I can't find the original article that he sent me, but did find this one in a quick search: https://bmccancer.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2407-5-94 It is an old study (2005) and the patient was a lung cancer patient, not melanoma. I wish I could find the article from 2013. If I come across the email, I'll send the somewhat more updated information.

My original stage 1a lesion was not completely removed with the first excision. The punch biopsy had not shown melanoma, so the surgeon was under the impression that this was to be a "preventative" measure. However, to the surprise of us all, the lab report from that surgery showed melanoma… and the margins were NOT cleared. Sooooo… before the stitches from the initial surgery were healed, I was back in for a wide margin excision. Those lab reports came back clear, but I sometimes question whether the damage had already been done, when the initial excision cut through the melanoma… potentially spreading the micrometastasis via the blood. I never had any lymph nodes checked, so docs can't point to the exact cause of my leap from stage 1a to stage IV 6 years later. My bicycle wreck preceded my stage IV diagnosis by 5 months. It was a nasty wreck, with a good deal of physical trauma for my immune system to tackle. It's just a thought/theory that some docs bounce around, but I don't believe much has ever concretely been made of it. 

JC
                                                                                        Participant

Interesting.  Nearly impossible to avoid injury/surgery, though. . forever

JC
                                                                                          Participant

JC
                                                                                            Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                              Participant

JC
                                                                                                Participant

Alce123
                                                                                                Participant

Thanks!

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                  Participant

Also should be noted that high ALT on blood could indicate muscle issues, rather than liver, and with your "mild fullness" of the stomach… may be more of a very mild pancreatitis. Maybe ask the doctor if they feel additional blood labs to include amylase and lipase (pancreatic enzymes) are in order? 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                    Participant

Also should be noted that high ALT on blood could indicate muscle issues, rather than liver, and with your "mild fullness" of the stomach… may be more of a very mild pancreatitis. Maybe ask the doctor if they feel additional blood labs to include amylase and lipase (pancreatic enzymes) are in order? 

cancersnewnormal
                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics