The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stage 1b Progression

Forums General Melanoma Community Stage 1b Progression

Participant

Good Morning:

I was wondering how many on this board started as a stage 1a or b, progressed to a later stage, and the time frame of the progression.   I was dx stage 1b in June 2014 with a nevoid melanoma and I know that my chances of never having to deal with melanoma again are excellent, I still can't completely move past the thought that it one day will resurface.  

I find myself coming to this site often not just as a resource but to silently cheer on and offering up prayer to those who are so bravely fighting this awful beast.

Blessings to you all

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        liberty04281
        Participant
          I started stage 1b, in a year and a half it progressed to stage 3, than later to stage 4. I am doing well, I hope you will have a better luck.
          Good luck!
          liberty04281
          Participant
            I started stage 1b, in a year and a half it progressed to stage 3, than later to stage 4. I am doing well, I hope you will have a better luck.
            Good luck!
            liberty04281
            Participant
              Good luck!
              JC
              Participant

I think it's normal to have that worry but I think what will be told is that the people who still come here are the ones who progressed, you don't see the ones still coming here who didn't progress because they are living their lives and have no reason to still post here.  So it makes it seem like everyone eventually progresses from Stage I to III or IV, but statistically that is not the case.

JC
                Participant

I think it's normal to have that worry but I think what will be told is that the people who still come here are the ones who progressed, you don't see the ones still coming here who didn't progress because they are living their lives and have no reason to still post here.  So it makes it seem like everyone eventually progresses from Stage I to III or IV, but statistically that is not the case.

JC
                  Participant

Minnesota
                    Participant

I was a 1B with a high mitotic rate, and it's been more than 3 years with no change. I am doing so much better emotionally now, it just takes time. One of the best thing I did was to begin attending a yearly cancer retreat about a year after diagnosis. They aren't any different than any other type of retreat other than its okay to discuss cancer as a normal every day topic. That was the missing piece for me. 

Minnesota
                      Participant

I was a 1B with a high mitotic rate, and it's been more than 3 years with no change. I am doing so much better emotionally now, it just takes time. One of the best thing I did was to begin attending a yearly cancer retreat about a year after diagnosis. They aren't any different than any other type of retreat other than its okay to discuss cancer as a normal every day topic. That was the missing piece for me. 

Minnesota
                        Participant

jennifer83
                          Participant

I was diagnosed with 1b in November 2014.  WLE & SLNB and my surgeon said I was "cured" !!  Beautiful word.  I am very much like you… I visit the site often because I need to hear people's stories.  I need to cheer people on, even silently… 

It's a tough thing to deal with, emotionally.  I'm always wondering about a recurrance.  My family, although supportive, didn't really feel the impact that I felt – mainly because of the "it's just skin cancer" mentality – If there's no chemo and I'm not losing my hair, I didn't REALLY have cancer… ya know what I'm saying?    

Keep up your 3-month visits, find support here when you need it, and you may even want to look for a support group or a counselor if you don't have anyone you can talk to about these things.      

jennifer83
                            Participant

I was diagnosed with 1b in November 2014.  WLE & SLNB and my surgeon said I was "cured" !!  Beautiful word.  I am very much like you… I visit the site often because I need to hear people's stories.  I need to cheer people on, even silently… 

It's a tough thing to deal with, emotionally.  I'm always wondering about a recurrance.  My family, although supportive, didn't really feel the impact that I felt – mainly because of the "it's just skin cancer" mentality – If there's no chemo and I'm not losing my hair, I didn't REALLY have cancer… ya know what I'm saying?    

Keep up your 3-month visits, find support here when you need it, and you may even want to look for a support group or a counselor if you don't have anyone you can talk to about these things.      

jennifer83
                              Participant

pasadenagirl
                                Participant

Thank you all for your replies.  I have to agree with Jennifer, most people do not understand Melanoma and to them it's just "skin Cancer" no big deal.  That attitutde makes it hard to share the feelings of uncertanity that seem to run constently through my mind.  Once again thank you all for taking the time to post a reply.  I wish you all continued good health.

Blessings

pasadenagirl
                                  Participant

Thank you all for your replies.  I have to agree with Jennifer, most people do not understand Melanoma and to them it's just "skin Cancer" no big deal.  That attitutde makes it hard to share the feelings of uncertanity that seem to run constently through my mind.  Once again thank you all for taking the time to post a reply.  I wish you all continued good health.

Blessings

SusanD713
                                      Participant

I was recently diagnosed with stage 1A and I keep thinking the same thing you are too. I know that I am at a good place with the cancer because it hasn't progressed. However, I feel like I am going to constantly live in fear the rest of my life and stare at every single mole on my body and think it is melanoma. I am praying for everyone on this board that we all beat this awful cancer and go on to live long, happy, HEALTHY, lives xoxoxo 

SusanD713
                                        Participant

I was recently diagnosed with stage 1A and I keep thinking the same thing you are too. I know that I am at a good place with the cancer because it hasn't progressed. However, I feel like I am going to constantly live in fear the rest of my life and stare at every single mole on my body and think it is melanoma. I am praying for everyone on this board that we all beat this awful cancer and go on to live long, happy, HEALTHY, lives xoxoxo 

SusanD713
                                          Participant

pasadenagirl
                                          Participant

Blessings

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics